Reverse-blade

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Hiro, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

What kind of sword do you thnk is the coolest:
    1.reverse-blade
    2.zan-bato
    3.normal hand-made japanese revolution sword.

2. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

**Might Contain Spoiler**

I think that the zan-bato is stronger, but it's still confuses me when the reverse-blade broke it :p

3. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I'm pretty sure that the reverse blade can cut through anything except for human flesh, ne? I prefer the reverse blade because I wouldn't want to kill people either if I were a samurai.

4. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

ok as a note. there is no special sword that was made during the Meiji revolution. the katana has been made since early in the Koto Era.

Well thats just the users feelings and emotions behind it. although the edges are reversed it is still a razor sharp edge which can cut and can kill...

5. DistantSamurai

DistantSamurai New Member

I would rather have a katana since my style of Kenjutsu uses Battou-Jutsu stance so i need a sword that will have an edge to cut through teh air quickly...although fighting witha reverse blade would be nice since i know i can strike someone and never kill them well...almsot never i'm sure someone can die from being too badly struck in teh ribs or soemthing ^_^

6. The sword

The sword is not a weapon assigned to a fighting style. That it is not. It is an item used to protect and to enhance your abilities. The reverse blade is for those who understand the value of life and know the true meaning of using a sword.

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

well in japanese kenjutsu the student is taught that the sword is not just an item but and extension of your body. and whether its a protective thing is up to the user's mindset as well as his/her style of Kenjutsu. as in Kamiya Kasshin Ryuu the motto is "The Sword That Protects Life" but the essence of the Kamiya school is defensive sword fighting. the point is to use your opponents strength against him.

8. The sword is an extension of ones self, that it is, but the thing that matters is does that person know themself. One who does not know themself is not one to wield a sword, that they are not. The swords purpose is to protect. The reverse blade is good because you will never stop protecting. People thing that in order to protect you must kill the opponent. That is not true. With the reverse blade you are truly protecting those around you because you are not killing the opponent, but you are giving them another chance. So at the same time you are protected the ones you are meant to protect.

9. DistantSamurai

hmmm it seems you are an idealist and a pacifist thats very admirable...if you are not i apologize but in teh past i have been taught that the sword is a weapon and was made to kill...my post didn't mean that a fighting style has a weapon assigned to it...but in kenjutsu there are specific weapons that are more suited for specific styles of kenjutsu to...make it more effective. But you are right in Kenjutsu a sword is only the extension of the body...and i agree a sword should be made to protect the weak. When it comes to kenjutsu i am a pacifist but i am sorry to say that i am not so much of an idealist...

10. The life of a pacifist is one to be proud of, that it is. The protection of others is the only reason to come our of that state of mind. The use of weapons is not the state of mind that i use. That it is not. Some people ising weapons to kill use the excuse that it was the weapon that kills. That state of mind that one who understands using them for protection know that an item used for fighting can only work in the hands of the beholder. What i am trying to say is a weapon in ones possesion is no excuse for killing. That it is not.

11. DistantSamurai

You are very correct...people who kill cannot use that excuse for killing but an excuse such as protecting the weak is understandable in my view. Although being a pacifist is something i am, i am not one to tell what goes on in a mind of a person who kills to protect but if thier intent is good and they knwo that killing is wrong then i cannot say that they are completely wrong...being a pacifist i do not seek confontation by expressing an opinion to someone who has a compltely different opinion themselves...what i am trying to say is...although it is compltely wrong to kill...thats what a sword was made for...thres no way aruond it...it is not an excuse...it is not a deathwish...it is a mere fact...

12. Hitokiri_Gensai

its is said that one must kill so that other may live...

13. It is a lie, that it is. The reverse blade to me is not just a sword. It is meaning. It symbolizes how you can protect the weak but at the same time not face the reality of killing another. I make no excuses, that i dont. but when i do face reality i make new paths. I am a pacifist, that i am proud of. I hold up that with all my heart. If you cannot protect the opposition along with the weak than you do not deserve to protect, that you dont

14. DistantSamurai

Very well said...but do you honestly think that swordsmanship would even be needed in a world where everyone believes in the way of a pacifist? Can the swordsman spirit really survive? Or will it be surpressed by ideals of peace that could never come true? In my opinion you cannot protect if your not willing to do everything neccessary to protect...its close to being selfish to want to save both sides...when its near impossible...its against the way of the samurai which i respect very much. Being a pacifist i deny confrontation but i would do whatever it took to protect the people i love...

15. Miko

Miko New Member

Re: The sword

i believe this too. thats why i think the reverse-blade is best. swords are made to protect the weak. they are not made to neccessarily kill.

16. Sesshomisao

Sesshomisao Poison Girl

I think that i prefer the reverse blade.... becuase i would want to have a weapon that couldnt kill if i got into a fight....but it would be able to kill if i fliped the blade.... i dont know.... OH! or double kodachi's!!!! i think that would be cool to....reverse blade sword and double kodachi's!

Hotaru

[​IMG]

17. Dark_Dreams

Dark_Dreams New Member

Reverse Blade definetly cuz then i'd have have a choice to kill or not to kill. :catgirl: /:anger2:

18. Miko

Miko New Member

thats a good reason too...

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

well that's true with a katana as well...

20. DistantSamurai

yes people think that jsut because the katana has a sharp blade that you no longer have the choice to kill or not to kill but you really do...i think it is all in teh matter if you really wnat to kill the person yourself...you could kill someone with a reverse blade i think...i mean a battou-jutsu straight into the throat of a person could easily kill them...