RPG Game Masters RPG Rule Addition?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Nephilim_X, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Someone is trying to start a game and has two characters. I think we should only allow 1 character per person just to keep it less confusing.

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Moving to RPG Game Masters Discussion. I will approve any ruling you moderators of the forum decide on, within reason.

3. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

You would techincally have to close all RPGs then. I am not a mod of this forum just of a few RPGs but from what I understood the previous Mods let that up to the GMs discreation.

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Five month old thread, hun.

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Valid bump, however. I haven't seen any mods/game masters besides Nephilim_X comment on the ruling yet - I assume that means no one has a differing opinion?

6. Basher

Sorry, I thought it only applied to Moderators of this forum and not GMs. I obviously didn’t read it right. Plus there hasn’t been to many GMs lately.

I absolutely don’t agree with this rule.

Neph addressed with unfairness with Teachers. When was that?

http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9301&highlight=High+School –Two of the mods of this forum (one previous) ran this one. I was in it and have yet to see any.

http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5728&highlight=High+School
    -The teacher picked on FR who was helping control the RPG. And by my account she played the teacher. Look at page two. I didn’t think there actually was a teacher set.

http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17076
    -Hogwarts no teachers played yet.

http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14818&page=1&pp=15

One high school thread hasn’t started.

Members who Role-play are supposed to pm the GMs when this has happened. Teachers are secondary characters they are there just to keep the high school game going. I trust the members are capable of doing this. If the GMs don’t fix this then the Moderators are supposed too.

Like I said before then with this rule all RPGs would be closed. More then one person has role-played a second character in several. I have read a few and I don’t see a problem with it.

You shouldn’t assume Neph. By reading the post above BMS has left it open.

http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18443

Considering this hasn’t been an issue in 2 years and it shouldn’t now.

Kryshana has complained, along with Hacker, and Seishin. Shinigami needed to edit.

Neph, I have never seen you role-play in this forum.

You may be a mod of this forum Neph but please learn to trust the GMs. I think most are doing a great job. This has always been left up to the GMs to decide how many people the RPers are allowed to role-play.

With to many rules people will leave. As you can see that this forum has shrunken some.
    http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17754

A member was confused. And BMS has had to help. That member has yet to make a RPG.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Personally I don't have time to read each and every RPG post.

As for the threads you posted, most of them are a pretty confused mess. I don't know about you but I don't have the time to go through 50 pages worth of one thread, let alone several. (And didn't you say that in one, the 'teachers' never even posted, hence showing that some characters will never even be used and are a waste?)

Conversely, at www.spacebattles.com and Gaia Online, the rpg forums have rules limiting you to one (living) character a piece per game (at SB, the RPG forum is named Story Debates) (killing a character let you make a new one). Both are much larger forums and have had much, much more activity than BJP, hence much more oppurtunities to fine tune their rules.

The following reasons are why:
    -Keeps focus on one character, improving character depth. Better character depth makes a better rpg.
    -Keeps it easier to regulate
    -Prevents abuse of multiple characters
    -Makes things much easier to read.

As there were no objections, ever, and BMS said he'd approve any rule within reason, it looked as if it had been approved. It's not unfair to assume that after five months with no objections, it may as well have been approved.

After being told to do so by Kaiyon. Additionally, reread the "Future of this RPG" thread. Kryshana and Hacker both end up agreeing with my viewpoint.

But I have. I don't know if it's accessible anymore, but check the Faeries RPG. I believe there may have been one more.

And do you know why BMS helped, and not me? Look at the time stamps. I was asleep while that thread took place. 4 AM to 7:20 AM my time.

Edit: From Kryshana herself: "I would probably be confused on what to do anywayz".

8. Basher

If you have role-played here more you would know that people leave for all sorts of reasons. The GMs usually keep an active list to who is still role-playing. It wouldn't matter if that person had one person or more roleplayed. Teachers are secondary they are there when the role-players want them to be. The one I said it for ended in 2003. Yes that one was a mess because of the OOC. Now all OOC can be directed to the Sister Thread. It was a way for the previous mods to clean it up. That teacher wasn't a waste because it was a secondary character.

Example from Star wars a secondary character during a fight a single trooper would anyone care about that trooper instead of the main characters? It was just there to help them fight and to help the story along like that teacher was.

How many people left because of this? How many people were a little upset or complained? We need to look at what is best for this forum not your wonderful SB.

Good role-players can still achieve all that with more then 1 character. They also like diversity. With one character diversity would be taken out.
    GMs regulate along with any abuse.

I know now it is easier to read then it was before thanks to what the Mods before us left. The sister thread took out a lot of OOC. BTW any divider like this * means that their next character was role-playing. ;) But if ever read into the reader could see that.

As I said I made a mistake and didn't know this applied to GMs. I probably wasn't the only one. There are not too many GMs currently. It's not unfair to assume after five months you dropped this idea because of the long time period.

What about Seishin and Shinigami? They are also members. Those having to reread it are not a good thing. You literally gave them the "if you don't like it then go else where." They more than likely HAD to go by that or lose their precious RPG. So they bascally HAD to agree to it way they like it or not.

Their initial reaction was upset. The way that thread was worded was horrible. It wasn’t respectful at all. You want respect from members but if you don’t respect them why should they respect you? Saying “the future of this RPG” is a horrible way to make people obey your rule. I was rather disgusted by this. That is why I am address this with as much force as Hurricane Katrina.

How long ago was that? Probably ages. So you have not role-played with the sister thread format? It is working will with the sister threads.

It was a point to prove that a member was confused not your ability or inability to mod a forum.

My guess would be for that of a teacher. Don't try to make it look like more then 1 character. Kryshana is handling it well in dawn of destiny.

One thing that was never addressed was that with this rule a lot of RPGs would be closed. Plenty have more then one character and are not hard to read.

There has yet to be any unfairness with characters. If there was the proper channels would be set forth. That is why the previous Mods and BMS left it as with my understanding.

This is a nice community for a forum. There has not been any problem with this in the past two years. Because of the proper channels layed out here there shouldn't be a problem in the future.

The previous mods have always gone with the GM deciding on how many people are allowed to role play perperson. I agreed with that but taking into consideration of a fellow mod I am will to reach an agreement.

I am willing to agree with having 2 characters max. Where people are still able to make both characters have depth. Along with having diversity which a lot of role-players like. The secondary characters have no one playing them but are still active in the Role-playing where anyone can play them.

No RPGs would be closed. Members would be happy and the current RPG Hogwarts could easily apply to this along with Sakedio High School 2. A player could still be a teacher as one of their two characters limit.

This is actually a lot for me to agree with. I have always gone by as much as you would like and can handle as long as the GM agreed to it. More then once I have handled well over 3 characters. The GMs and old Moderators didn’t mind. FR has also handled well over 3 characters also at times.

I understand limiting characters make a lot of sense but we need to do it by what this boards’ standard is. Many have played more then 2 characters and it has worked out fine. The Sister Thread has helped a lot to clean up this forum a lot. Take the old Anime High School in example compared to the one ran by FR and Seb.

We obviously need to come to an agreement this isn't a debate. I set forth 2 characters limit.

9. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Perhaps this sums up to an agreement we should have.
    While I havent seen many players handle more than two characters at once, but as far as Ive seen, a limit of two has done well for quite a while.
    While playing multiple characters may be difficult for some to write and some to read, I believe it is the duty of each Game Master of his own RPG to look over every post. Since the limit for RPGs for a Game Master is only two, I dont think its hard to follow up on each posts.

While we may not have the best writters, or good ones (as Neph so adequatly has said), we have decent ones and they are all able to carry out their playing responsiblities.
    I've dealt with an RPer who just couldnt do so well and who also tried to god-mod. That, again, was easily fixed with a PM and some editing from the player. Practically no full-time mod required.

Now, dont misunderstand me. I believe all Moderators are capable to act as duty calls on them. But they arent really needed for such little things that can be fixed with ease.

Also, If a so-called "useless character" spawns, either forget the character, or have it played by someone else.
    If it comes to something more difficult (as it happened to me) the game master has to take it upon him/herself to either assign someone else the character, or play it themselves.

So I ended up with a total of three characters as well. And it was not only me, but other players in the past have offered to play others since they were long absent. (At least in sakeido :sweat: )

I think members in this boards are fully capable of RPing. And perhaps it is time to set a limit.
    So, i am also proposing that we set a limit of two (and three if completly nesessary) characters per RPer.

GMs should be able to clear out any problems, and if they're not or if its beyond them, then its time to call the mods.

Also, Neph, this isnt Gaia Online or spacebattles. This is Boards.jp. And like Ive said before, we've got a nice crowd of regular members and mods that can make this place better.

I also think you acted too soon on your action to 1, change the rules and 2,close the thread. If this matter didnt exactly come to a close, perhaps you should have discussed it with the other mods.

- Thank you all.

- Kaiyon

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Such an example is a bad one, because secondary characters (be they enemy soldiers or teachers) are typically run by the GM as 'NPCs' (Non Player Characters) in rpgs.

A wizards familiar or a characters pet, however, is different.

Given that SB is the largest sci fi forum on the net, it's not a bad site to take an example from. GoGaia, in addition, is the largest forum on the net. They're doing something right, and to be blunt I doubt anybody left because I said "one character apiece". As far as SB, there were very few complaints, because the majority of posters saw sense in this.

Or they could play other games as well and get their diversity there.

?

Nah. Nothing to indicate a changed mind.

Kaiyons brother, who will willingly fight for any cause his brother will.

He said he understands the reasoning and will play with just one character in the same thread where Kryshana said she would be confused.

Yes, just as I would do with people who complained about other rules, be they RPG rules or forum rules in general.

The forum is not a democracy. It is, to be blunt, a benevolent dictatorship. Like it or not, when you join any forum, you play by admins rules, not yours.

Because Kaiyon requested they all go complain to BMS, as I understand. Then once my reasoning was explained, they all (save Seishin) seemed quite happy to comply.

I was quite perturbed by Kaiyons actions, and his later manipulation of his players. Naturally I was angry, so I decided to simply put my foot down.

I don't see what sister threads have to do with this?

? Ok? I didn't make said rules but to be honest with some members of this forum I would keep it right where it is.

A player shouldn't do something they're confused by.

From how long ago?

Previous mods. Not this current mod. I feel that a more organized RPG section would attract more RPGers.

Why not encourage creation of more/better RPGs instead? The trade-off for diversity is depth (this is explained later).

(Also, I'm fine with people controlling say, a pet, familiar and such).

If this is the best I can broker for I'm fine with 2 characters, but I would prefer 1 character limits, with GMs playing as NPCs.

FRs posts were, frankly, a muddled mess. I find that instead of a well written post about one character, we got three one-liner posts in one.

Standards can be changed.

BMS, could we get some input?

11. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Since when do people like to play that? Perhaps a familiar, but not a pet.

Though I hate to repeat Basher in this, this isnt GoGaia or SB. This is boards.jp and I dont think that we should do what other forums do. If we combined all of the forum rules you like from other boards, then RPing here would be no fun.

Or they could just play where they like to play.

As far as I remember, this all started when Seishin said he would do a second character. Coincidence?

He either understood you, or decided not to get into a battle with you. Besides, hes new around here, and you think he would?

What a welcoming message for new users. I'd like to join forums that are not too strict. And a little prediction to what you may say, no, i will not join anything else other than boards.jp. Why? Because the boards were fine and dandy until up about a few days ago.

I dont recall saying "hey everyone, go complain to BMS"

No, Im sure you werent angry i told them to disregard you...that wasnt it...

We dont doubt that....really.

She says it once, and you use that to back your disscussion up? As far as basher said, she can handle it. And if she cant, well, thats why we have sign-ups. Look at Hiro. He handled his sign-ups nicely. And shinigami as well.

I handled three characters on sakeido, others handled two as well. I dont think it ended a while ago.

Sure. Add more rules. They're bound to come in even more than they do now. And you said I FEEL....pardon me....but isnt there another mod for this section besides you two?

Because you dont encourage by setting down rules.

Unnaceptable. I second the motion and vote a two character limit for all RPGs.

One, way to go....
    And two, thats what we're here to fix, not with permanent rules, but by taking action ourselves. And if regular GMs in sister threads cant handle it, then they turn to mods like you...although all you've done is set a rule.

Who wants to change them besides you?

- Kaiyon

12. Basher

Agreed. As long as the GM determines the NPC. Duh me. It is their RPG after all so they would have too.

BMS?

Why can't you be a whitelighter? I have been watching to many Charmed episdoes lately.

Anyway BMS how do you like it?

13. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It seems to me that a consensus has been reached. If the given GM of the particular RPG deems it, players may have a secondary character at the GM's discretion.

Keep in mind that this should be the exception and not the rule, as I do agree with Nephilim_X that the optimum RPG environment has players purely representing a single character.

Due to more semblance of a cooperative written story than a tabletop game, there is need for a little less constraint at times to make things work out in this forum.

14. Basher

Okay then.

A Note on Character Limitations
    If the given GM of the particular RPG deems it, players may have a secondary character at the GM's discretion therefore the GM will play all none playing characters (NPCs).

Is that good then?