Video Games RPG Suggestions

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Billy277, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Hey, everyone. I just finished going through Final Fantasy X-II (A bit disappointing), and I'm not at a loss for what RPG I should go through next. I've played most of the big names and if anyone's got any obscure favorites I'll be sure to give them a look. Here's what I've played:

Every single game with the words 'Final Fantasy' in the title
    Chrono Trigger/Cross
    Xenogears/Xenosaga
    Everything with 'Star Ocean' in the title
    All three Grandias
    Legend of Dragoon
    Secret/Legend of Mana
    Parasite Eve 1 and 2
    All three Wild Arms
    Disgaea
    Kingdom Hearts
    Every Pokemon
    Every Breath of Fire

I know, I've covered most of the big series. Still, I'm always looking for a good RPG, so any help would be very greatly appreciated. :)

2. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Well, I see you've played the Secret of Mana series before, why not play Sword of Mana? Not as good as the originals, tbh, but it's still an excellent game. I'd also recommend Golden Sun.

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

What would you consider Zelda games? Action/Adventure or RPG?

PS1 Games:
    Suikoden I (I didn't have much love for it's subsequent releases)
    Alundra
    Legaia
    Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
    Tales of Phantasia
    Valkyrie Profile

SNES Games:
    Secret of Evermore
    Super Mario RPG
    Terranigma (which is actually part 3 of the SoulBlazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma trilogy)
    Earthbound (Mother 2)
    Lufia II (never really liked Lufia I)
    Illusion of Gaia

4. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Ooh, lots of games. :) Baphjimm, I forgot to mention the Golden Sun series, but I haven't played Sword of Mana. How is it lacking compared to the others?

And Izzy, I've heard good things about Alundra and Tales of Phantasia. What are they like?

5. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

The only thing it seems to be lacking is length, especially in comparison to the first two. I finished it in what I believe was a total of about 30 hours, while the first took me easily over 50 hours. Then again, that was almost 10 years ago. :sweat2: So perhaps, I only imagine the seeming lack?

And, seeing Izzy's post, I, too, will recommend the Illusion of Gaia series.

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

They're more action oriented. Aludra has you fighting in people's dreams (kinda like SoulBlazer) and Tales of Phantasia...is...I forgot. I remember it was good though, until I got stuck..then my friend stole it. But the battle system for both is a bit more involved that normal RPGs.

Also, try the .hack series. It's decent. But at least you get a pretty massive story. Considering that you can also hear the story of .hack//LIMINALITY, watch .hack//SIGN, play the .hack//GAMES. THEN also try to get your hands on the novel. =D

7. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Have you tried Seiken Dnesetsu III, or Ogre Battle(well, that one is more strategy, isn't it...). Or Bahamut Lagoon(I think that's what it's called). There are always Diablo II and Warcraft III(well, the heroes are RPG-ish).

8. Novus

Novus Gone

Suikoden I, II, III (PSX, PSX, PS2)
    Shining Force 2 (Genesis)
    Phantasy Star IV (Genesis)
    Knights of the Old Republic (PC, and the best game I've played in a VERY long time)
    Fallout 2 (PC, good for a laugh)

...And I have this old NES game based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. When I remember what it's called, I'll let you know.

By the way, Izzy, if you liked .hack//games you should check out Wagner's operas, on which the series was based.

9. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Paper Mario (N64)
    Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga (GBA)
    Tenchi Muyo RPG (Super NES)