Rurouni or Battosai?

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by *Fabee*, Dec 7, 2001.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

That was one of the more riveting aspects of Rurouni Kenshin. I kept seeing him getting pushed to the limit, and wondering if he would crack under the pressure and be forced to kill at some point.

After Kyoto, the question was pretty much answered, but it was one of those driving plot devices for sure.

2. DistantSamurai

DistantSamurai New Member

yeah everytime he was being pushed to his limits i wanted him to break and become battousai again so much! lol my fav characters mostly come from the OVAs ^_^...so i guess there is no real answer to who was better between Battousai adn Himura kenshin...i am guessing Battousai tho...

3. Naomi-Chan

Naomi-Chan New Member

I think Kenshin the Rurouni is stronger then Kenshin the Battosai...I know that the Battosai kills willing with no guilt or emotion but when **spolier**

When Kenshin goes back to his Master he teaches him the final move...and since the Final Move is all about keeping you alive and making you think of why you need to live Kenshin the Rurouni would be stronger...

**spolier end**

Since the Battosai has no emotion apprently he doesn't care if he dies as long as he kills or try's too win, right? Well that's what i think.

4. goldenangel

goldenangel New Member

i find them almost the same but i would have to say that Rurouni is stronger:D

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

in terms of actual strength Battousai is stronger...he was the perfect killing machine

But in terms of wits and emotion

Kenshin is much stronger...

6. DistantSamurai

actually i think that Himura(Rurouni) had his morals and his wits and will to live while battousai could control his emotions so much better then Kenshin i think...and Battousai was the perfect killing machine...a perfect hitokiri...

7. Okita

Okita New Member

I'm not so sure that Kenshin is so superior mentally than Battousai. Although he took his life for granted, Battousai just wouldn't die...ever...as is seen multiple times in the OVA's (especially his battle near the end of the Bakumatsu OVA's). I think that in order for Kenshin to use the Ama Kakeru Ryuu no Hirameki, he had to have that mindset referred to ealier. However, I believe that Battousai could do the ougi as well, easier in fact, as he would be able to attain the speed necessary without as much difficulty (as well as actually killing with it, cutting the victim in two, not just leaving a deep scar). Battousai also has the frightening mentality of the willingness to die for what he believes in (similar to Shinsengumi's: Aku. Soku. Zan.), which Kenshin cannot aspire to any longer, because if he died, he knows that he would cause the Kenshingumi, especially Kaoru, quite a bit of sorrow.

Oh well, that's just my input as well as my first post.

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

well in reality...in terms of techniques Battousai would have less of a problem using the Ama Kakeru Ryuu No Hirameki because of the way his sword is used...when using a battou-jutsu (iai-jutsu) the scabbard is pulled back as the sword is drawn from the scabbard. the mune (the back of the sword) is more or less drawn along the scabbard walls to avoid having the edge cut into and catch the scabbard...so with the sakabatou its quite different...it cuts down on the speed of the move...

9. DistantSamurai

Yes Battousai was very skilled at Bttou-Jutsu but didn't Hiko says something about him not being able to teach the Ama Kakeru Ryuu No Hirameki to a manslayer? I think that He was a great swordsmen but the way he is when he turns into Battousai after his oath is not the Battousai in the olden days. The Battousai after the oath is summoned with rage...and anger. Battousai acted out of...responsibilty almost...a coldness...distanced fom emotions...

10. Christabel

Christabel New Member

I choose battousai. The fact that he had nothing to loose made him stronger in a fight, or so I think.

11. goldenangel

goldenangel New Member

after reading the replys after mine and then watchin the episodes all over again i am going to have to go with Christabel
    because the Battosai has nothing to lose and he cared not about his life which made him do more crazy things when he attacked.

OOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR at least i think.:p

12. Gaijin

Gaijin New Member

They're the same person aren't they? How skilled someone is and the the way they choose to use their skills is very different.

13. Okita

Okita New Member

Not really. Kenshin and Battousai are two different people mentally -- skill differences are apparent. Battousai, because he didn't value his life and was fighting only for a 'higher purpose', was much more lethal in a battle than Kenshin will ever be. Kenshin isn't willing to give it all up and put his all into defeating an opponent, as Battousai; Kenshin also has to worry about preserving his own life, especially after he meets Kaoru and the rest of the Kenshingumi. Mindset also affects the battle because Battousai is willing to kill, which means he holds nothing back form his enemies, as well as using a katana. Kenshin does his best not to kill so he must tone down his attacks to prevent his opponent from dying. Since Battousai uses a katana, his battoujutsu is faster, as opposed to Kenshin's sakabatou which will draw slower, because of the way the sword is unsheathed from the saya. (I believe that Jin'ei comments on this in his second battle with Kenshin right before Kenshin preforms Sou Ryuu Sen.)

14. Gaijin

Gaijin New Member

You put up a good debate. Nonetheless, they are one person and their skills are the same. Just beacase kenshin doesn't use all his force into an attack doesn't mean he can't.

15. DistantSamurai

They are liked two spirits in one body. I apologize for saying this but saying that Battousai's skills back in the revolution are like Kenshin's after ten years of the Meiji are an insult to Battousai. Battousai's morals, heart, determination, way of thinking, and behavior were very different from Kenshin. Once Kenshin gave up his katana he gave up alot and i mean alot of his skill and strength. Like Okita siad, the katana is much faster and much more precise when leaving the scabbard in Batou-Jutsu then the Sakabatou. You say Kenshin doesn't use his full power and that it doesn't mean he can't...technically his morals, ideals, pacifism, and oath to not kill again keep him from ever reaching that same great power he had as Battousai. They are one body but two very different people.

16. Gaijin

Gaijin New Member

You have to take into consideration the fact that kenshin has to be more more careful when fighting as to not kill his opponent.

17. DistantSamurai

exactly which shows that he will never be able to regain that same ruthless and tactful power that comes with the Hiten Mitsurugi Style. He will never be able to have the power he ad as Battousai again as long as he has an oath, and stays a pacifist. and holds true to his sakabatou

18. RazorBladeSmile

RazorBladeSmile New Member

Kenshin the wanderer is way better than the Hitokiri...just because someone is a ruthless killer doesn't make them any better than someone who beleives in preserving life...therefore it is my opinion that Kenshin the wanderer is better than Hitokiri...because Kenshin had to figure out a way to defeat his oponent without killing him...and that truly makes him stronger...Hitokiri killed without thinking...it was almost...reflex...but Kenshin cannot fight on reflex because of his oath...he must use his mind...therefore KENSHIN IS DA MAN!!

19. DistantSamurai

You think in the way of a fighter today. But back then as i have read in books the samurai were suppose to be ruthless...honored and could kill when asked without hesistation. That made a good samurai. Kenshin...became a wanderer and he could no longer kill and use his utmost skill in a fight because of his oath. He is a samurai, and samurai who treasure life, who don't recognize and who don't accept death aren't samurai anymore. they are mere swordsmen...and what you say of battousai i highly disagree with. Battousai was incredibly tactful. Reflex is what Seta Soujirou had. Battousai used his mind, traveled in darkness, and yes he did kill with thinking but no remorse because in his mind he was bringing salvation closer. And fighting with reflex doens't mean killing everytime, reflex is a god given gift that you react to things with thought and quickness. And the fact that Kenshin had to find a way to fight without killing and follow an oath automatically made him weaker i think. A great samurai and hitokiri like Battousai was very much the perfect example of a samurai and in my opinnion is better then kenshin the Wanderer.

20. STRONGEST

STRONGEST New Member

Rurouni and Battosai are...... ahem....... the same guy.:rolleyes: