Saitou Hajime

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Nikkisword, May 6, 2003.

1. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

fill me in on Runouni Kenshin

:) Hi, I would like to be filled in what is going on, so would you please help because it would mean a lot to me. I have a favorite character from Runouni Kenshin, all I'm asking to be filled in, thankies.:cool:

2. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

hmmmmmm what would you like to know? basic info or whats going on in this actual topic? i can help with the basic info but no whats going on in this topic...

3. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) I'm wanting to learn from the Kyoto arc when Kenshin and Saitou started to fight again since the time of the revolution, I have been wanting to learn about more that incident, Thankies.;)

4. Hitokiri_Gensai

hmmmm you'll have to be a bit more ummm clear on that. do you want to know more about Saitou and the Shinsengumi? or do you want to know more about Kenshin and Saitou's fight?

5. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) I really want to learn more about Saitou Hajime and the Shinsen Gumi, I was also wondered why Kenshin was after the Shinsen Gumi during the revolution.:rolleyes:

6. Hitokiri_Gensai

he wasnt after them per se they were affter him. The Shinsengumi were a almost literlly a police force gaurding Kyoto. so there job was to hunt down the Ishin Shishi...more on the Shinengumi if you look at my post in the Rurouni Kenshin section.

7. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) I really am trying to write a short biography of the real Saitou Hajime on my computer and I need more information than what I got so far, it will mean a lot to me, Thankies.;)

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

Saitou Hajime seems to have struck second fame in Japan following his appearance in RK! There are certainly a lot of info about him on the web. Seems to be a mysterious guy even in real life... Also, everything about him that came out in RK (except Shishio and Kenshin, of course) is real history. I got a shock there!

Right. First of all, his origins seems a bit obscure. One theory is that he's the son of a ronin. Another says he hailed from Edo, son of a Bakufu official, and that he'd come to Kyoto after accidentally killing a person in Edo. Yet another claims that he's a son of the 12th Shogun?! and yet another says that he was a spy of the Aizu han placed in the early Roshitai. Talk about a mystery guy. His name, Hajime (meaning "one" or "start" as in another kanji") was because that he was born on the 1st day of the 1st month, though there are other reports as to his birthday.

He entered the Shinsengumi "sponsored" by the Aizu han, under the name of Yamaguchi Jirou, when he served as one of Hijikata's assistants. His most powerful sword skill is the "Left-hand single thrust" (but *not* Gatotsu, that's Watsuki-san's creation), this skill is even more destructive than Okita's 3-piece thrust! In fact, Saitou, together with Okita and Nagakura, were hailed as the 3 strongest swordsman of the Shinsengumi. Saitou assasinated a lot of corrupted Shinsengumi members. Eg, Itou Kashitarou and co., Takeda Kanryuusai and others. And yeah, Aku.Zoku.San was no invention of Watsuki - it was a motto of the whole Shinsengumi!

He was also a great drinker! The creator of one Shinsengumi website stated that "he's a different person when drunk", (I'm not sure whether this refers to "I desire to kill once I'm drunk"). In fact, he finally passed away because of a stomach ulcer, caused by excessive drinking. Unfortunately, I still can't verify that he smokes all the time, or that his favorite food is soba... help, anyone? Saitou's wife, Takagi Tokio, was the daughter of an important Aizu official - in fact,the middle-man was none other than the Daimyo of Aizu himself! They (Saitou and Takagi Tokio) were married in the 6th year of Meiji (1873), and their first son, Tsutomu was born in the 9th year (1876).After the Ishin government was formed, he changed his name and worked as a kendo instructor in a university. In 1877, the 10th year of Meiji, he joined thepolice troop with permission of carrying a sword to fight in the Seinan War, the one where Saigo Takamori rebelled against the Meiji government in Satsuma. Saitou did this under the name of Fujita Gorou. After which he became a spy directly responsible to the Police Commissioner, Kawaji Toshiyoshi. (I was really shocked at this one... Watsuki can really interweave fact and fiction!)

Saitou worked as a guard of a museum in Tokyo when he was quite a senior citizen.After his retirement, he seemed to spend a lot of time thinking. Pity I can't understand his grandchild's remarks in the Japanese homepage. Anyway, Saitou passed away on 27/9/1915, 4th year of Taisho, at the ripe old age of 72.

THIS IS ALL FROM A WEBSITE DEDICATED TO THE SHINSENGUMI~Shinsengumi History

9. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) I needed that information for that short biography, I know that Saitou Hajime was in fact a real person, Yamaguchi Jirou was the name I was looking for. Thank you for the information, but I still want to more about the between Saitou and Kenshin.:shy:

10. Hitokiri_Gensai

Yamaguchi Jirou is the name he entered the Shinsengumi under and then the police force under the name Fujita Gorou...he ended up as a seurity gaurd later.

11. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) Yeah, I know, Yamaguchi Jirou was only nineteen years old when he join the Shinsen Gumi, he entered the police force after being hurt seriously during a fight. Then he became kendo sensei after words, there was a rebellion he fought in, then he became a security guard later and then retiring. He died on September 28, 1915 at age of 72. But really I was talking about the anime Runouni Kenshin, I mean the fight between Saitou and Kenshin.:D

12. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) That's why I watch Runouni Kenshin, I was just wondering why Saitou wanted to finish a fight that should have been finished along time ago. Kenshin and the others were gone to go eat at the Akabeko and Sanosuke was waiting for them to return to the dojo, but Saitou fought Sanosuke and hurt him badly. Kenshin struck the dojo wall in anger and wanted to go after the person who had hurt Sanosuke, Kaoru actually let Saitou in the dojo and that's all I know for now. ;) :D

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

Well he joined the Police force because they had best information source in Japan. thats how he found Kenshin again. Kenshin hit the wall to test his strength against Saitou's. he was only able to dent the wall. Saitou hadn't lost any strength since the Bakumatsu. Kenshin realized then that he wouldnt be able to compare to his strength

14. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) Thankies, that's what I was want to know, and now I want know why Saitou had to work with Kenshin during the rebellion. I thought he had no other choice to work with Kenshin, would someone please clear that up for me?:D

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

he had to team up with Kenshin because hes part of the police force so he was put in charge of the case.

16. Nikkisword

Nikkisword New Member

:) Thankies, now that clears that up, I also wanted to know what happened to Saitou after escaping Shishio's stronghold. I had my suspection that the group was on had clasped after an explosion.:cool:

17. Hitokiri_Gensai

*spoiler*

he survived =P somehow he survived. he fights during the Jinchuu Arc. oh btw in the manga he claims to have joined the polic force because they have the best information network in the country even better than the Oniwabanshuu's