Satan?

Discussion in 'Dragon Ball' started by Mordeth, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

I was just watching the world tournament saga, and it seems that the world champion is called "satan"?

whenever I saw dbz on cartoon network, he was called "hercule" ...

that's weird :)

i saw some people in the crowd with cards saying "God Bless Satan"
    hehehe

2. Ak1t0

Ak1t0 New Member

When funimation dubbed DBZ. They changed a few names. Mr Satan was one of them, its probably because the censorship board didnt want a character to be named after the lord of Hell.

3. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Mr Satan is Cool.. They Also changed the guys from hell t-shirts when Goku was on snake road. they had Hell on their shirt but they changed it to Heli or something like that..

All the church folk my think DBZ promotes Devil worshiping!@

KaMeKaZi

4. Ak1t0

Ak1t0 New Member

Ya they changed Hell to the Hall for Infinite losers or something like that. Personally I dont understand why they cant say Heaven and Hell. Damn censors.

5. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Hell, you can hardly say pants on American TV.

6. Saiyanchild

Saiyanchild New Member

i no i was confused on who mr satan was but i found out it was hercule, i agree damn censors. videl though means devil look at the letters their switched.

7. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

From what I hear, the name Hercule was used in the French version of DBZ and they took the name from there. I find Satan a much better name though, I remember in the one episode King Kai was mentioning something about "Hercule Puffs".....and ummmm, Satan Puffs sounds much funnier :p

8. Saiyanchild

Saiyanchild New Member

lol that guy very funny... but i think satan sounds better also so i dont have to b confused i hate it when that happens.

9. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

lol.. isn't Mr. Satan first name Hercule anyways? Hercule Satan..

Videl meaning 'devil' is quite a find...

10. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

That's pretty clever to use Videl as an anagram for devil, what with Videl being an actual name and all. My opinion, anyway.

11. Saiyanchild

Saiyanchild New Member

i no isnt it? lol theres a girl at my school named videl hehehe^-^
    also lol gohan means rice and u know sharpner and iresa? gohans and videls classmates? teir names mean sharpener and eraser. lol i like the name puns though.

12. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I thought it was cool, in the dub when Buu transformed into pure evil, he went up to Mr.Satan and was sooo ticked he couldn't kill him. All he said was

"Satan" in such a deep maddening gritty voice.. it was a blast. Hercule probably lost control of his bladder, unless he had sweated all liquid from his body first...

I just thought it was hilarious that the most ultimate evil at this time, addressed the wimp, who has the name of the most ultimate evil in the real world.

13. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Well, before blaming censors we should think of ONE THING.

WHY THE HECK DID THE AUTHORS NAME him like that!?

Sure, american censorship sucks, but does that give the right to anime authors name their characters wish such controversial names? I mean, the chapter where Mr. Satan asks the people to give him their energy (to save the world yadda yadda yadda) and they raise their hands up to heaven yelling "Satan! Satan!"

Now THAT IS SCARY!

Now don't tell me that "satan" is the japanese meaning for SOMETHING... the authors knew what it meant before they used it. And the american censors are the bad guys? GIMME A BREAK.

Or perhaps it's just that DBZ sucks. (Yeah right flame me, but shows like this make people judge anime by violent and gory show stereotypes.

Why not looking at other anime shows with much more content and deep characters, like say... Saber Marionette? :anime:

14. Nic Wolfwood

Nic Wolfwood New Member

Well someone's a touchy young Christian with no sense of humour!

15. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

it's just a name, and if you ain't christian there is no reason not to use it, because it means nothing :)

16. Nic Wolfwood

Nic Wolfwood New Member

Who Cares

Right on Mordeth! I agree absolutely.

17. Dark Kaneda

Dark Kaneda New Member

im a christian but i dont have trouble with the name ...

18. Nic Wolfwood

Nic Wolfwood New Member

It's not being a christian I have a problem with, its with not having a good sense of humour and being touchy I find grating. You however, do have a sense of humour and are not touchy.
    But lets not let this devolve into a debate of religion when it's hardcore anime fans we should be more concerned about.

19. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I find it rather funny and ironic how he was given the name "Satan", and of course I have no problem at all with it, even though I am a Catholic and all. I was freaked out before when I watched the Dragonball GT TV special years ago and saw that a city was named "Satan City". Maybe there is a Japanese meaning of the name, it could be some type of food or something... or probably just an interesting name that Akira Toriyama gave him for no reason at all. I mean, Gohan means "steamed rice", Chi Chi... well I won't say what that means, Namek is Japanese for slug or snail methinks, and well all of the Saiyans have vegetable like names. I'm sure that it was just due to a theme that Mr. Satan was given that name.

20. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Maybe because he acts evil to all the heroes all the time, what with leeching off them and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.