Manga Ring Project Scene 2a - Read, Review, Revise

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, May 3, 2005.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The scene's been too quiet lately, so I went ahead and took the ideas from the Chapter 2 story discussions and whipped together some script. The following covers the first half of the gap currently labeled as "Upset Stomach" in the Scripts sticky. I kept the overall parts intact, although some of the elements have changed - no major deviations, though. Please have a read-through and review.

(Restuarant interior. The place is dimly lit and very empty, but there is a very warm and inviting stocked buffet. MINATO look around for a bit.)

MINATO: Hello, hello?

(when he receives no answer, he decides to take a seat.)

(stomach makes a decidely noisy growl.)

I wonder if they're closed or something.

WAITRESS: Welcome to the Drunken Dragon!

(The WAITRESS is bright and cheery - young and attractive. She appears behind MINATO, her sudden loud welcome startling him terribly)

MINATO: Yaaaa!

WAITRESS: (One of those good-natured oblivious types, she mistakes MINATO's yelp for a greeting, and returns it with earnest)

Ya!

I'll be your waitress this afternoon. How may I be of service?

MINATO: (His stomach makes another burble, and both MINATO and WAITRESS look at it. MINATO laughs nervously, blushing and rubbing the back of his head)

Umm...I'll just have the buffet.

WAITRESS: Very well. Please help yourself.

MINATO: (Begins loading up two big plates with all kinds of food, creating large piles fit for your standard hungry anime/manga character.)

A bit of this, a bit of that! One of these, some of these...

(Gets to the sushi, and grabs a hefty pile)

Ooh! I love this stuff!

(As MINATO works his way like an animal through all his portions, the view focuses on the EIN possessed sushi. It slowly begins to hop towards the edge of the table. Just as it seems like he's about to get away, EIN is snatched up by MINATO, who has been so absorbed in his meal that he has assumed it simply rolled off.)

Thought you'd get away from me, did you? Well, time to join your friends!

(MINATO wears a stupid grin as he swallows EIN whole. It slowly wipes away as his face turns blue and he begins to sweat.)

I...think...I'm...gonna...be...sick...

(MINATO bolts for the door, leaving an empty table behind. The WAITRESS returns directly afterwards with another enthusiastic "Ya!". Question marks then sprout from her head as she takes a few moments to piece things together.)

WAITRESS: (She ducks her head under the table, as if MINATO might be under it.)

Oh, patron of the Drunken Dragon, where have you gone to?

2. Kagome_Akari

Kagome_Akari New Member

Nobody told me what the story is about...i don't know what any of the charaters look like, nobody's posting, and i need more information about how to draw the stuff. What am i supposed to do again?
    I'm trying to get this place lively again, so.......POST! POST! POST!!!!

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Understandable, given the fairly large scope of the project and how many threads there are. Let me quickly sift through and pull out the relevant ones to answer your questions.

First, check the sticky topics, especially the Character Sketches, Gallery links in the post map (for some insight on the existing characters, concepts, and sketches) and Finalized Scripts (which is where our final pre-manga writing will appear as it develops).

The various Character Discussion threads should help give a feel for personalities and perhaps appearance reflected outwardly from that.
    Ein/Lugata
    Minato

What also may be very helpful is the quick summary of character descriptions I gave Chejo when he presented some Minato sketches:
    http://www.boards.jp/forums/showpost.php?p=185028&postcount=8

I've just realized we don't have an easily accessible summary of the overall story. Here's a quick run-down:

Minato is your average high school kid who is just coasting through school. He's fairly easygoing and pretty much takes things as they come. Unknown to him, things are about to radically change - and that's more than just his girlfriend Satomi's plans to break up with him. Minato accidently eats a sealed demon, releasing the womanizing Ein from his lengthy confinement into his own body. Suddenly, Minato's world is turned upside down as he competes with Ein for control of not only himself, but those around him.

I believe the style decided upon was Takahashi Rumiko-Sama's (look to Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura or Inuyasha or inspiration), as the manga is intended to be mainly comedic with some serious elements injected at times.

Hope that helped! If not, just indicate where you'd like more information, and we'll help out. :)

4. Kagome_Akari

Kagome_Akari New Member

Thanks, that helped out alot...but i feel it is still not enough.
    i feel we should go beyond what we are doing now. like we should talk about how they dress, what their uniforms look like (if they even have uniforms, i don't know), more into their teachers and other secondary charaters, ect.
    Do we have any finalized charaters? Do we have any finalized anything?

1 person likes this.
  5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Sounds like a design team task to me. As part of the character and written creative team, I can see how outward appearances can help focus characterization and mood, but visual creativity has never been a strength. I believe a topic opened for the visual crew on clothing would be beneficial.

Until now, we've been more focused on individual appearances, so most of the sketches have the characters in casual wear of the artist's choosing.

I think these can be overlooked until we have settled on something for the main characters. After all, they're secondary for important reasons.

Somewhat, although not entirely clearly. We have discussed and brought forth the main personality and drive for most of the characters. Of course, as things progress and the story takes shape, we may find some deviation from the original concept. For instance, Satomi began as more of a one-dimensional character. During writing of the initial scenes, she became a natural contrast to Minato's two sides (himself and Ein) with her outgoing and introverted sides.

If you mean from the visual side, none of the conceptual sketches have been dubbed definitive as of yet - I leave this task up to the creative lead (Suzu), although I will admit I have favourites among what has been produced so far.

The general story is set. The early chapters are together. Beyond that, we are very much still in a conceptual state for a lot of the work. It doesn't help that this forum has apparently been less active in the current year. I'm looking into perhaps giving more exposure in order to get the gears goign again.

6. Kagome_Akari

Kagome_Akari New Member

okay..*lets out deep breaths and jumps around* thanks alot! all my questions were answered^_^! *hugs Baka* okay i haven't done alot of work on the pic of Satomi's friend....i need to start. it's due tommorow!! :eek: got to get to work!!

7. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I guess it's about time we selected a definate design for some of the characters(Minato, Satomi, Lugata and Ein). However I'm having a hard time deciding on whether we'd set a general poll or appoint some judges to select a design. I guess it wouldn't hurt to use both...

It's good that you brought to my attention the requirement for designs of Uniforms etc, Kagome_Akari. Okay then, I'll note that down, and set up a post, and some tasks.

8. Kagome_Akari

Kagome_Akari New Member

your welcome! ^_^
    i've been lookin at pictures of uniforms from japan...they are all super kawaii^_^

9. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

BMS I missed this. Not good. I do like your script. Very nice work. Now onto the alley?