Current Affairs Scientists cure cancer; Nobody cares

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Firefox, May 15, 2011.

1. Firefox

Firefox Member

2. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

I've seen this so many places, and I just want to say as a scientist: The article is completely without merit. Not only is the information on the biological workings of cells incorrect - it refers to mitochondria as "cells", when they are most definitely organelles within all animal cells, to provide the most glaring example - its information on media response is also incorrect. This discovery was made in Alberta in 2007, four years ago; at the time, every scientific journal jumped on it immediately. Why wouldn't they? Here was someone claiming to have a potential cure for cancer!

Thing is, it really isn't the be-all end-all. Human clinical trials haven't been done in the United States for one big reason, and it's not the pharmaceutical companies worried about turning a profit - in human cancer cells implanted on lab mice, the drug had varied effects, including in many instances actually making the cancer's resilience and growth that much *worse*. As a result, there is quite a bit of red tape that has to be gone through before human clinical testing can actually begin. (Not to mention, the drug has actually been known to *cause* liver cancer.)

There are a lot of labs, in the US at least, that are actively working on these sorts of things because, truth be told, not everything is profitable. Specifically, I know the Lawrence-Livermore National Labs in California are working on another potential cure for cancer, one I would say is quite far along in its progress. No one sees it because so few people are interested in science that the media finds it - you guessed it - unprofitable. :p

3. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Heavy stuff, Baph.

Thanks for the input. Something seemed off about the article and its lack of sources.

4. Firefox

Firefox Member

Mmm, I found out after posting it that it really wasn't all that valuable- I posted it in a few other places; one of the responses I got was from someone who is a doctor. Here's what he said~

So, sorry guys. Seemed more interesting than it was, I guess~

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

lol...

I invented a cure too, is called chlorine/bleach, too bad you have to die too with the cancer

6. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

One thing for sure. If the true cure is discovered, it sure as hell won't be cheap