Computers Screen Shots?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jaken, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

I know how to do screen shots/captures of DVDs etc. on the computer using Windows media player, by using the Print Screen Key. Recently I have tried to do that but when ever i paste the captured picture into a photo program like mspaint or PSP, the area in which the DVD image in Windows media player should be, is there.

BUT when i move the captured image, the DVD picture does not move. As if there were a hole in the screen cap, to the paused DVD screen in WMP.

I know that sounds confusing but that is the best i can explain it. Can some one tell me what it wrong and how i can fix it? Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Using WMP never worked for me to capture images. What seemed to work for a time was opening the episode in WMP, pausing it, then opening it to play in the kazaa theatre then screen capping it there. Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. But then that fell through, so now I use Virtual Dub.

So, if all else fails, get Virtual Dub to capture images, the catch is, you can't jump ahead in this program, you have to watch through the whole episode or movie and cap the screens along the way.

3. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Or...

Right click - Propetites - settings - advanced - "graphic accleration" - lower it to low

That should work, and if you want your previous settings back, just do the samething, but put the level on highest.

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Media Player Classic can take screenshots without having to mess around with the settings of the graphic acceleration.

Just press the handy Print Screen button, and paste it into a graphics program. =D

5. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Thats what I used to do, untill recently. It doesnt capture the video image that is being played. Everything else but it.

But, I checked out Virtual Dub. Its free. So, Why not go with that XD Thanks Ciel!

::EDIT:: ><;; I just downloaded Virtual Dub, it doesnt work, if you want to take screen caps off a DVD. Any other suggestions?

6. Snake

Snake Member

actually, u should search on google for video capture programs, i remember one i used a while ago, "SnatchIT" altho u need a registered version to use it properly (unregistered version slap a big logo diagonally throughout the picture)

7. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

sigh.. wasn't I stupid when I posted. sorry Jaken, I use Power DVD's capture function for DVDs. On the older version I right clicked to find the 'capture' but there's a little camera in the tool bar.

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Teddz was closest.

By default, Windows Media Player uses full graphics acceleration to playback media. Unfortunately, this causes the rendered area to be black when you take a screenshot.

Fear not, however. It's easy enough to get around. Open Media Player, click Tools, then Options. On the performance tab you'll see a slider marked "Video Acceleration". Drag it all the way left (to None), then click Ok. Now you'll be able to take those screenies without the hole appearing in your screen. :)

When you're all done taking your screenies, just pop back in and adjust your slider back to normal.

9. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

It was no problem Ciel, don’t worry about it. :)
    I think I have a really old Power Dvd, it has no screen cap thing.

Well I fiddle with the graphic accelerator. And nothing happened. It did the same thing when I took screen caps. So I tried taking screen caps with the print screen key using Power DVD and Interactual Player. Same thing happened. The image had the hole in it. Could there be something wrong with my computer? Or video card or something?

10. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

May I recommend you using Virtualdubmod?

PowerDVD has a nifty advantage which is DISABLING the DVD protection.

After you've played a clip (of the REAL movie, not the intro, extra features etc), the DVD is unprotected.

Which leaves you to be able to use DVD ripping software (like Virtualdubmod) to get the info you want.

With virtualdubmod you CAN take snapshots (and if there's no option, just press prn-scrn and you're done :)

Ta-da!

11. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Jaken, what video card are you using?

12. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Keep in mind, Media Player Classic is NOT the Media Player that comes with Windows. Give it a try.

I am surprised that disabling graphics acceleration in Windows media player didn't work, but there are ways around it. Media Player Classic is one, Snake mentioned another, but the program he was talking about is actually called SnagIt. This can take a screenshot of anything. It pretends to be a graphics driver. If you can see it on your screen, SnagIt can take a picture of it.

13. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Eh. o_o im not quite sure what video card im using. Is there away to find out? (I feel so computer stupid :bleed: )

--Yeah, I dont have WMPC. I'll download it and try it out. ::EDIT:: Nope, does the same thing.

14. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Nuts :/ Izzy might have more to say there. If nothing else, MPC is very useful for other stuff, I'd keep it around ;)

For now, try SnagIt or something (see my last post)

To see what video card you are using, right click on your desktop, select properties. Go the thee 'settings' tab, and it should say there.

15. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Video card. . . .I believe GeForce4 would be the card. But just incase here is everything that was under "Display."

"Plug and Play Monitor on 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 with TV out (Dell)"

16. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

It should work with disabling the graphic acceleration with that graphics card.

Updated your drivers lately?

17. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Okay I'll keep on trying, and fiddling with it some more.

I honestly don't know if or when i have updated my drivers. I'm not even quite sure how you update them. (computer stupid :bleed: sorry)

18. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Well after constant fiddling with the graphics Acceleration. I discovered that if I play the DVD first with WMP (with no graphics Acceleration) then stop it after a few seconds. Then open WMPC and play it in there. I am able to take screen caps in WMPC. . .for whatever reason. o_O I dont know why its like that but it works, everytime. And thats the only way I found, that will work. So I guess I will continue doing that. Thanks for you help, everyone.