Square Enix Secret of Evermore

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kaneda_345, Jan 24, 2003.

?

?

1. Played it,yeah it was good.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. It was OK......

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I didnt like it.....

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. um,I never heard of this one.....

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Kaneda_345

Kaneda_345 The Star Stealing Boy

Well,since the board has now expanded to Squaresoft discussion I though I would make this topic.

Who here played SoE?

This game was way underated,it was a great game.It was one of my first RPGs and I liked it alot.As its name suggests it played very much like Secret of Mana.(my favorite game)It just didnt have as much,oh well It was still good.

Thoughts/Opinions?

1 person likes this.
  2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

There was no, "better than average" so I voted for the highest one. I'd rather put it between, "okay" and "great" but I'm not gonna complain...much. ;)

It was a pretty hard game in the desert area. But, it was still really good. After that part of the game, it got a lot simpler...simply because by then, your alchemy levels should be a little higher than "average".

The dog was cool. Not my favorite part of the game (other than the robo-dog) but he was really cool...and helpful...sometimes.

The main character was one of the wierdest and most humorous, if only for the fact that he is a really big movie buff. So...quoting movies and scenes are funny to Izzy...buzz off! :D

The end boss was a little too easy, if you had two certain spells...although Atlas and ... uh...this one other spell isn't exactly a spell you CAN'T get.

Getting ALL the alchemy spells was the one thing that made the game a little unbearable. It's too hard to gain ALL of them...I'm missing three myself. Just too hard to do it without a guide or something of some sort.

The marketplace! Oh man, one of the most fun things in the video game world. Seriously, REAL bartering...at least inasmuch that every single person in there offers a different price! That was cute.

...I'd probably give an 8 out of 10 for this game. The hit detection's a little wierd, epecially since most bad guys can hit you multiple times, especially when you're stunned, but the baddies can only be hit twice at max. Suck.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

bwahahahahah i know i had all the alchemy when i beat the game...but that was waaay back when...i need to replay this game. i would recommend it for an intermediate challange. so, when you're ready to step from ff:mystic quest, this is a good way to go.

4. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

I don't remember the game very well, but I remember distinctly thinking that it was pretty shoddy. Just my opinion though, your milage may vary.

- Ark

5. Bau

Bau New Member

i thought that it was a good game...mind you its not as good as secret of mana. but yeah it was a really good game. i didin't like that fact that you could only get to LV.3 weapons. that was no fun. but i was ok that you don't have to temper them up. that made the begging a lot easier. well thats all i'll say.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kaneda_345

Kaneda_345 The Star Stealing Boy

I thought I would ask: Did anyone else have trouble with the Bazooka weapon,I could never equip it with specific ammo,it would always use the same thing.Anyone else have this problem?

7. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

*casts Life 7 on thread*

While the game wasn't anywhere near the best, in my books, it was ok. Good enough that I tried to beat it 3 times. (First time: Cousin's copy, he saved over my file. Second time, glitch at the end, failed to see the ending. Third time: Success~!)

Anyway, it had it's moments, I'll admit, but it doesn't measure up to other games like it, such as Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu II). It's really just the result of Square America trying to make a game, I think.

Lesse, some old quotes to disagree with...

Not so, it's all timing. Remember that rat king thing in Ebon Keep? I hit it with over 30 Lances in a row before damage was displayed. It has more to do with spell timing, and the spell... er, alchemy you're using. Flash, for example, will hit numerous times as well, but Fireball only hits twice. (To the best of my memory)

Lance is the best at this, though. I seriously did chain 30 of them together at once. I think it did like, 300 damage at level 1, or something. I can't really remember now.

Not me. I had a glitch that let me have infinite ammo, though. I bought 30 cryo-blasts, and I never ran out. The amount never even went down! Needless to say, the bazooka was my favorite weapon. I mean, 500 damage to the end boss, at the price of being knocked out of the way of his attacks? Sign me up!

I'd have to say my favorite part was the Hall of Collosia. I don't know why, but that place always interested me. My least favorite was the vent system in Ivor Tower. It took me DAYS to figure out how to get through it. So annoying...

8. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I believe I was referring to a physical attack, Shinryu.

9. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I played this game about once or twice. It was preety good. Something very fun at times, but definetly not something i would say is great. Thankfully i was given the choice between "buy" and "rent", i went for renting. It's an allright game, but not something i wouls spend money on to buy.

So, if there's any wondering, i vote for ok. Nothing more, nothing less....

-Seishin

10. Reisti Skalchaste

Well, then, for the last part of the game, the bazooka and the robot dog tilt things very much in your favor. Further back, it's simply a matter of hit-and-run tactics. I suppose you already knew that though, eh? ;)

But yeah, I hated when they could hit you over and over again, and you couldn't do anything about it.

11. Rain

Rain New Member

Yeah, it reminded me of Secret of Mana. I didn't play Secret of Evermore much, but it was pretty good.

12. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

It was made by the same design group, Rain. All the menus, the fighting engine, and physics are all the same. Well, *almost* the same.

13. Reisti Skalchaste

Yeah, Square pretty much copied Secret of Mana's engine for Secret of Evermore. But SoE was made by Sqaure America, not in Japan. And pretty much every game Square America has made has been lacklustre at best. SoE was the best of a bad lot, I think.

14. sapphire_deity

sapphire_deity New Member

I recall trying out this game once, and uh...I'll just say 'twas alright. I didn't last long enough since I was tired when I tried it and the thought of playing it again would seem tedious.