Video Games Sega System Flops

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GentatsuNoZanshi cc61, Jan 25, 2002.

?

What was Sega's worst game system?

1. Master System

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Genesis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sega CD

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. 32X

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Game Gear

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Saturn

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Dreamcast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Whether you love Sega, or you hate them passionately, you no doubt know that they have made some incredibly big failures in the game platform department. It could have been that they didn't develop the technology, it could have been a lack of developers, or just a lack of consumer interest, I don't know. But what I do know is that I want your opinion on

WHAT WAS SEGA'S WORST GAME SYSTEM?

2. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

In My opinion sega's main problem was they never Advertised there system enough.. when it came out they would then they would just stop advertising and you would forget that they even were around..

Sony advertised everything wether the game sucked or not.. thats why the Sony one lasted so long and thats why Sony 2 Will beat out the game cube and X-box in the end..
    And Thats why the stupid GameBoy is still around because they advertise the crap out of that shity thing..

Sega just did not have the guts to put the moeny behind there product..

KaMekAzi

3. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Ah Dreamcast where are thou?

I think game gear is the worst, cuz the day I brought the thing it wouldn't fuction proparly and the games really ..... at that time.

The dreamcast was a piece of art! I wish that the playstation 2 joypads would have a memory card like the dreamscast's. Sega is losing *sigh* . Their games however are awesome! Shen mue, jet set radio, crasy taxi, and Space channel five were the best games and the funckiest and it's too bad that they are going to be exclusive for the X-box not the PS2! :mad:

4. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Mega CD. Piece of ****.
    [pointlesstrivia]The playstation was originaly planned as a sort of "mega cd" for the snes, but after sega's failure, it was canned, giving birth to the bane of the console world, the Playstation[/pointlesstrivia]
    Having always prefered nintendo, I never owned any sega consoles, but the recent ones got raps much worse than they deserved.

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

32X (despite not really being a system, but an add-on) was almost a complete waste. I mean, I remember seeing the thing and thinking that doubling from 16-bit to 32-bit would do wonders for the SEGA system.... but it really didn't boost anything all that much... Couple that with the fact that they only released about 10 titles for the thing and you've got quite a waste... I dunno, maybe the thing had potential but SEGA brought it out to the market too soon for any real game development to take advantage...

[More Pointless Trivia] And SNES was originally going to be an add-on for the original NES... That would've clinched the market even harder in my opinion, but they scrapped the idea... *sigh* oh well...[/More Pointless Trivia]

6. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Hey, I in no way am saying that Sega can't make games. They're one of my all-time favourite developers, as it turns out. The only sports game I've ever liked since Blades of Steel on the NES is by them, that being NFL 2K2 (never thought I'd say I like a sports game in public, but it's a good game!).

Each one of these systems had a few good games too. For example, the Master System had Phantasy Star, which I actually dug up an appropriate emulator and ROM to play, and was somehow impressed. The Genesis had Dynamite Heady, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Shining Force, Shining Force 2, Phantasy Star IV, plus others. And lets not forget the hilarity of Earthworm Jim 2 or Crusader of Centy. The Sega CD had only one good one I can think of, that being Shining Force CD (you'd never guess I liked that series, would you?). The 32X had, as BakaMattSu must grudgingly admit, a few good games, the likes of which the two of us used to kick back and play. I'm talking Star Wars Arcade (with the hilarious voice for Admiral Ackbar), Virtua Fighter, and, of course, Tempo (definitely the best sidescroller to ever hit a Sega system, plus with a kicking theme song). The Saturn had Shining Force 3 (again with the Shining Force ...) and Nights Into Dreams. The Dreamcast was, of course, the launch pad for some of the best sporting games of all time. The Gamegear had Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya, which was a favourite game of mine when I got it (and I swear that's the last time you'll read that phrase in my post).

Personally, I've always thought of Sega as a better software developer than a hardware developer, but that's just my perspective as a guy who got burned on his 32X and Gamegear purchases.

Anyway, that's enough of a ramble out of me.

7. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Blades of Steel?! Amazing! Someone else who played that game exists? That game rocked. I rembember getting it, I was so excited, I went straight downstairs and popped it in, starting off on the hardest difficulty setting, I played that until I could beat it consistently. There's a fun way to master a game, put it on the hardest difficulty level and nail it until you can't be beaten! Speaking of which... time to do that with Deus Ex...

-UK

8. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Blaadeshhuvshteel

Three words: "Bladesh Of Shteel!" those three words of digitized speech made me smile every time I heard them. Plus, the in-game fights and the shoot-outs if the game was tied had brilliant graphics for that period. Also, it was fun to play against my older sister, who never caught on to the fact that the goalies were invincible ...