Debate should people be allowed to keep weapons at home?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by me_dreaming_zzz, Apr 9, 2004.

1. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

i was thinking about how in some countries ppl r allowed to buy and keep weapons at home. i just dont think that a house with a weapon in it is a safe house. My friends father keeps 2 guns in his house :sad: , isnt one enough for self protection? I think i would feel insecure if i would have a weapon in my house :sweat2: , so i was just wondering whats other ppl think about it.

2. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I think that it would depend on the crime rate in the area that the house is. If somebody lives in a high crime area or just an area that is really dangours then i think that people should be allowed to keep a weapon just for the sake of self protection. If somebody lives in an area of low crime then it may not be as nessesary, however that is not to say that they shouldn't be allowed since there is still the chance of getting burgled.
    I think that the type of weapon should also be taken into account. Sure most people keep some sort of blunt object (e.g. baseball bat) in thier house as a form of protection, so in a way most people do have a weapon in their house. It may not be a gun but a smack to the head would still hurt.
    As for guns if the person lived in an area with high crime levels then i think that it should be ok for somebody to keep a gun as long as they keep it locked up and away from their kids.
    It's not easy to decide. Most people will want to defend their property at all costs so they should have the right to use something to help defend it rather then people hiding a lethal weapon in their houses.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

....uh, what?

And yes, it does depend on the crime rate in the area.

4. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Well yes if she was real then i would try to protect her. But the main concern i have is what weapon would you have in the house. I think i would be afraid to have a gun in case one of my kids got their hands on it. So you see it's not that i don't want to protect the people i love its the fact that one of them could get their hands one a weapon like a gun and do the unspeakable. Thats one reason i would be afraid to have a gun in a house. But something else i think would be ok......... like a katana..... which is what i ave in my room. :)

5. Tenchi Urashima

Tenchi Urashima New Member

yea

i overlooked if a kid ha one considering that well if i had hold of agun id be in jail like thaat, i have a stick, a martail arts stick that would do the job love hina rules

6. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

I am so confused right now. Tenchi Urashima this is what PM's are for.

Anyway I have never needed to have a weapon in my house so in my own biased way I don't think it should be allowed. Also in dangerous areas simply having a gun could make things worse. If you got rid of the weapons then there would be less of a problem.

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Unless of course the criminals already HAVE said weapons and you could be simply making it easier for them now that no civilians have a weapon on the same level. Once you let the cat out of the bag, you can't get it back in.

And Tenchi Urashima, not everyone has seen Tenchi.

8. cowboy

cowboy New Member

First of all i don't really get the question if you mean protecting your self then yes you should have a weapon in your house even if the crime rate of the area was low you could still be robed or even worse.

but if you mean other wise look at it this way i'm a hunting kind of guy. i live in a layed back country area,and even i have at lease 5 different kinds of guns because some hunting seasons only allow sertain kinds of guns,and you also have to look at it this way alot of people around here don't like people on there land so some times they might have to fire a warning shot at hunters that have gotten on there land without permission.but even if i don't live in the so called "projects" alot of robers around here try to find a house were they're aint alot of people around/and other houses(which that isn't to hard to find)but even are little town has the MAFIA and alot of DRUG DEALERS so yeah you should have a pistol/bat/knife/sword or any other type of objects to keep unwanted people out of your house

9. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Tough subject.

Personally, I think that gun ownership laws should be a lot tougher than they are now - because guns, unlike other weapons, are much easier to accidentally injure someone with. You can't accidentally stab someone through the heart - if you go after someone with a knife, or a baseball bat, or some other weapon of that type, you really need to intend to harm them to do significant damage in most cases. A gun, however, can easily kill someone in a split second, even in the hands of a six-year-old child who doesn't mean any harm.

That said, I do believe that people have the right to protect themselves - but not necessarily with the weapon of choice, the gun. Did you know that many break-ins and thefts occur in households that have multiple guns, for the sole purpose of stealing those guns? By making it easier for your average Joe to get his hands on a weapon, it also becomes easier for criminals to get them.

When you hear about a kid bringing a weapon to school and actually killing someone with it, isn't it usually a gun? That's because guns are so impersonal - you just pull the trigger, and shoot. There's no struggle, no getting up close and actually involving yourself in a fight, no need to think about it and plan an attack. That's the problem. People who might think better about trying to stab someone don't get the time to consider the consequences if they use a gun. One shot, and it's too late.

So... I suppose that in theory, I favor the right to keep weapons in the home - but in practice, the concept just doesn't work out very well. The simple fact is that guns all too often fall into the wrong hands, even when they were intended as protection. A responsible single person or couple who own one handgun, fine. A family of four with seven guns of different types... No, that's not really cool. I mean, ideally, the guns would be locked up where the kids can't get them, unloaded, blah blah... But you ALWAYS have to remember human error.

So... I suppose I support weapon ownership in situations where the people are responsible and the controls are fairly tight. Suffice to say, though, I wouldn't bring a gun into my home. If I need a weapon, I've got a nice big butcher knife in the kitchen. ;D

10. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

i agree with you. its just too easy kill someone with a gun, u dont even have to get involved, just pull the trigger and "bang" :sad: . and i think that the problem with guns is that basically anyone can use it, sometimes even the most sensible ppl just loose it when they r in stress or angry, and if they have a gun in their possession they become dangerous not only to others but also to themselves(some ppl can commit suiside). Ant thats the reason why i think that ppl shouldnt be alloweved to keep guns at home. In our time theres alot of security around(security alarms, police, fbi ect...) so ppl dont really need to keep a gun at home.

11. Star Princess

Star Princess Haters are retarded.

I don't think people should keep a weapon in the house if they have kids. No matter how hard you hide the gun, the kid is going to find it no matter what. What is it with kids and guns? :dizzy:

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

What good is that gun going to do if only I know where the ammo is, and its securely locked away?

13. Dilandau

A very good point. This is why families shouldn't own guns. A gun needs to be loaded and easily accessible to make sense as a protective measure - in which case, it's more than likely the kids will find it. And, while we all know that any responsible parent would teach their child not to play with guns, some children are going to do it anyway.

BLAM, little Timmy just shot his baby sister. Oops.

A metal baseball bat or a knife is a lot safer to have around kids. At least if they DO stupidly decide to play with those, they're probably not going to kill someone.

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Uh, Dilandu, darling, I was referring to not letting the kids know where I kept the ammo. You can't shoot someone with no ammo.;)

15. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

I guess it depends on your family background as well, i was raised with my father in the army and myself living the earlier years of my life on various army owned estates. All my childhood life I have been around guns and i never shot myself or anyone else,(although if i had been stupid or angry enough i could have) because i've always known the danger.

However nowadays, Even though i had this experience i wouldn't trust anybody i know to own a gun, its an official statistic i read somewhere that most guns used in crimes in the US come from homes where they were originally bought for protection (i think i read it in micheal moores book "stupid white men")

I've even been threatened by some half drunk creep who kept going on about how easy it would be to just shot me and my friends (hell the area i live in he probably would have done it, just to prove that he was a hard *** if his less drunk friend hadnt calmed him down)

(by the way i live in wales - that connected to england for those who dont know. wales doesn't really have big cities but we have the same problems as anywhere else)

Despite my personal experience with guns, i think that tighter control has to be exerted (especially in the US)

I myself own a sword (decorative only) and a couple of decent knifes, while this wont protect me from an intruder with a gun it will provide enough protection from the majority of thug scumbags around here. :anger2:

16. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

thus is why i believe in the baseball bat. *^-^*
    much harder to kill someone with it, but a good chance of scaring someone off with a couple hits from it. hehehehe

17. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

I dont think there's a problem if responsible people have a weapon for protection in their home. There is a gun in my house but it's hidden and I have a katana but it will never be used to harm anyone. I think as long as weapons are kept out of reach of children and irresponsible people then there is no problem.

18. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

That's the ideal scenario, Saiyan Chichi, but how exactly do you define 'responsible people'? There's basically no way to do that without getting a few thousand lawsuits for discrimination.

For the record, I'm truly undecided on this issue, so I can't even play devil's advocate. :)

19. Dilandau

Yup. This is why I favor stronger gun control laws. I have no problem with weapons in general, because the gun is really the only one that can consistently cause fatal injuries or instantaneous death in the hands of a completely unskilled wielder, like a child. A six-year-old isn't going to take a baseball bat to school and kill three other kids, you know?

Besides, a lot of things can be considered weapons - box cutters, kitchen knives, blah blah. If I want security, I can get a big dog, which is quite a dangerous animal if it needs to be. I don't see how weapons in general could be banned from private ownership, you know? It's just a matter of controlling access as much as possible to the kinds that are most often used to commit serious crimes and cause accidental injuries.

20. vash the stampede

vash the stampede New Member

I think weapons in your house is a good thing unless you have small children or a suicidal child,weapons are ggood.almost everyone in my entire family has a weapon in there house being a gun my uncle has a mini machine gun at his house crazy huh.I have various weapons wich are:3 piars of nunchaku.a combat knife,a katana,a dagger and a shot gun ,and several pocket knives.all for protection