Saber Marionette Should the J vs M fanfic continue?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, Sep 20, 2001.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

[Please ignore this post if it has no meaning to you...]

[addt'l: oopsie! I accidently went to edit, and clicked on 'delete'!! Note to MO and Tg: Thanks for the very kind and encouraging words, and sorry I killed the thread...]

Yeah, well, I guess I'm kind of in a slump where I figure everything I'm doing is turning out like crap...In other words, I'm looking for some second opinions...

"Should I carry on with the fanfic, or lock it away in it's unfinished status?"

And why/why not?

Thanx for the input ahead of time...

2. Zack Seaholm

Zack Seaholm Guest

I think you should continue it.

Why you ask?

1. There aren't many SMJ fics out there and yours is one of the better ones.

2. You've come so far already, why stop now?

3. To me, it looks like you're in a position to reach a conclusion to this story very soon. After the Marionettes deal with Behemoth, they can enlist Kenji's help in locating the Mesopotamia and go to town on it. (Maybe you could bring Lorelei along somehow to put to rest the torment she's been feeling and utterly destroy the computer core.)

Whatever you decide to do. Thank you for writing such an entertaining story.

-Zack Seaholm
    zseaholm@operamail.com

3. Ardis

Ardis New Member

yes do continue, your fanfic is good. Your fanfic is one of the FEW better ones. also you have writen up 12 chapters, so why stop there? just curious, but why do you believe that your SMJ works are turning out like crap? i have seen SMJ "Fanfic" if you can call it that, insults the whole series and the creators. (trust me)

4. Brian Kvitko

Brian Kvitko Guest

[​IMG]
    Baka, why do you want to stop? Your stuff is great! i love your stories so much and I think you've been doing a fantastic job. The only person who's done anything even comparable to SMJ vs. M is David Pascal wityh TSS, but he's not really doing SMJ. I should write you a longer e-mail and I probably will, but let me just reemphasise that your stories are NOT crap. they're clever and well written, with a good plot that has been flowing along at a realistic involving pace without sacrificing accurate energetic characterization, and the entire concept addresses one of the biggest holes in SMJ. I WISH there was more "crap" like that floating around.
    Keep'em coming I'll keep read'n em.

Sincerely,
    Brian Kvikto

5. I just found your fanfic tonight and
    stayed up late to read it all the way
    through. Quite frankly, it's wonderful.
    I don't have access to the source material
    for various reasons, but I've been intrigued
    with it ever since I first read about it
    on the Internet, and have thus turned to
    fanfic (and have been disapointed to find
    so few fanfics in existance for SMJ).
    Simply put, it's a very good story, and I'd
    like to see more (as it's the only SMJ I
    actually get). Thank you for putting the
    time into it you have.

6. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

Matt, I have been a long time fan of SMJ vs. M and truly it is one of the best fan fics out there in this (relatively small) fandom. I think it would be a great disservice to everyone if you left it incomplete. Please keep writing.

~ Lady Aoi

7. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Here's my lost post [​IMG] [​IMG]

The fanfic is great! To tell you the truth, it inspires me to write awesome fanfics myself(I wish I had more confidence in my works b4 I rewrite em' though).

I'll say it again I guess...SMJ vs M is probably so great that you could send it to Japan and they could make a new series of Saber Marionette to it!! I mean, some times I get stuff mixed up between SMJ vs. M and the actual SMJ series' and OVA's.

Continue writin' the good stuff!

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I haven't said anything thus far, so I guess I should step in...

Thanks to everyone for their great comments. I am overwhelmed by some of the things I see people say, and whether I believe it or not, these aforementioned "things" are what drive me to continue the tasks...

I first started J vs M to carve my own niche into the great series... and to give me something to do after having absorbed what SM stuff I've been able to pull together... I love doing it, but every now and then I feel like I'm just writing junk that may be a disservice to the SMJ name...

Anyhow, I love the comments (they're kind of like a fuel source for my fires)... and I must apologize on how delayed the next fic is...

BakaMattSu, midterms, and jobs, and school, and, well enough excuses already.... [​IMG]

9. Black Robed One

Black Robed One New Member

Heh, by pure accidence I happened to stumble upon this thread, and decided to kind of reanimate it.

Anyway...

Saber Marionette J vs. M definately should be continued!!!

Here are the reasons:

1) This fanfictional story is EXTREMLY well-written! I can think of only one fanfictional story, which is written on the same level (I won't give any titles or names, as I don't want to sound as if I advertise something), although with some difficulty I would probably be able to find a few other fanfictional stories written on the same level. However, there is no other SMJ-related fanfictional story I am aware of, which is written on the same level as BakaMattSu's Saber Marionette J vs. M. This isn't a compliment, this is a fact. My humble opinion, of course.

2) There aren't many SMJ-related fanfictional stories in the Internet, and VERY few new ones. As result, some of die-hard SMJ fans (like me), who can never had enough of SMJ don't have anything to read. And so, each new SMJ-related fanfictional story or even each new chapter of already existing SMJ-related fanfictional story (especially such a good story as BakaMattSu's Saber Marionette J vs. M) is definately a minor celebration for some SMJ fans (at least, it is so for me).

3) I don't want to spoil BakaMattSu's Saber Marionette J vs. M for those who haven't read it yet, and so, I'll just say that the last chapter ended at a very tragic and touching moment. Personally, I am dying to know what will happen next!

Personally, I truly hope that BakaMattSu will update his Saber Marionette J vs. M fanfictional story sooner or later, even though it seems that quite a long time has passed since BakaMattSu's last update...

Note: For those, who haven't read BakaMattSu's Saber Marionette J vs. M fanfictional story yet, I highly reccomend reading it! It can be located at BakaMattSu's personal webpage - Castle Japoness. Here is a link to it: http://www.geocities.com/emmaworshiper/index.htm

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

*sigh* Some things never change. I remember when I began writing this thing and had time to sit down and crank out a full chapter in a few weeks. Now it's been nearly 2 *years* since I've released anything...makes me wonder if any readers I might have may have given up on me... :sweat:

I haven't abandoned it, if there are doubts. Just a bit harder for me to write the type of situation I've envisioned for the next part - better with the comedic type of writing. ^^

11. Black Robed One

Black Robed One New Member

I am truly relieved to hear that you haven't abandoned you Saber Marionette J vs. M story, Baka, even though I remember you saying that you have intention to finish both your Saber Marionette J vs. M story and your Survivor: Terra II story (IMHO, the later isn't written on the same level as Saber Marionette J vs. M story, but it is still EXTREMLY good story), although I have a feeling that this is going to happen in some more or less distant future. But then again, it is new chapters I am really looking forward to, not the end of the story!

As about whether or not any of readers you have had may have given up waiting for this story of yours, that I cannot say. Two years are definately a long waiting, but IMHO your Saber Marionette J vs. M story is definately worth it! Also, since you posted your Saber Marionette J vs. M story on your personal site rather then in some kind of fanfiction archive (like fanfiction.net), it means that your Saber Marionette J vs. M story won't get lost somewhere in the bottom of archives, and that new visitors at your site will be able to see it. Also (as you rightly noticed) a lot of SMJ-related search attempts lead to the various chapters of your Saber Marionette J vs. M story! ^_^ I once tried to search for SMJ to X images (needed and still need certain images to make my own SMJ to X video cassettes' covers, as I have pirated copy of SMJ to X, and it came without appropriate cassettes' covers… but, by Nine Hells, I was glad to get at least any copy of SMJ to X!) and ended at one of the chapters of your Saber Marionette J vs. M story (don't remember which of them exactly, but if you are interested, I can check it out more or less easily)! ^_^ So, I guess, that new people happen to stumble upon of your Saber Marionette J vs. M story… well, if not constantly, then at least more or less often. ^_^

Personally, as I believe I have already said to you, I can very well understand that you have got to the part of your Saber Marionette J vs. M story which is EXTREMLY difficult to be written. And I have a feeling, that those of your readers who have at least a little experience in writing fanfiction, will be able to understand this as well.

Good luck to you in your future writing, Baka! I truly hope that you will come up with a new chapter for your Saber Marionette J vs. M story, as well as for your Survivor: Terra II story sooner or later!

12. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Please continue!

Altho I don't agree with your "evil male" view of the Mesopotamia, I really like the fic to survive and go on.

Why? Because fics inspire other fics!

(screaming like crazy) I WANT MORE FICS!!!!!!

^^;; OK, having said that... please go on! :)

13. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Normally, I would say "continue at your own pace, a late, well-written fic is better than a hurried, on-time one." But two years is pretty bad. I do think you should continue it, although, as more time passes, I find it harder and harder to rate an SMJ story highly, as, in my mind, it becomes harder and harder for a fanfic to measure up to the perfection that is SMJ. When I first read your fanfic, before I had seen J to X, I liked it, and rated it a 9/10. By now, though, it's degenerated to a mere 5/10. This is no fault of yours, it is simply me raising the standards for a good SMJ fanfic. Yours simply didn't measure up to the ridiculously high standards I currently rate them against. It is a good story, though, and I would like to see more of it. So please, by all means, continue.

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Ouch. :eek:

Scoring drops aside, I agree that two years is pretty bad. I recently had to log into my geocities site just to reactivate it because an update was so long ago. I'd fire out excuses like I usually do, but excuses really don't work out considering they're always the same lame ones anyhow.

J vs M is being written, however, that much I can say. That, and the fact that I'm currently writing the next 4 chapters all at once. They're four different perspectives of what happens in the next little while of the story, and happen so close together (and out of sequence) that it presented a little more difficulty to realize when done in slices. I needed to do the whole bit at once.

Also, there are continuations of Survivor: Terra II (that pathetic little script I wrote a while back), The Long Night (chronicling Gartlant's technological progress, aka, the Krabbensteiff Files), and Forbidden Fruit (my probably completely inaccurate prequel to SMJ, but one I'm having fun with) sitting on my hard drive that just need some finishing touches and cleaning up before exposure to the WWW.

So that's my spiel. I need to book some "writing time" during the week, I suppose. Making sure to reserve some time ought to help some...I hope. ^^;

15. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Remember, I said this was no fault of yours. I simply see Saber Marionette J as such a great series that no fanfic can ever really match up to it. The more time passes, the more adamant I become with this belief, such that even truly great stories cannot make the cut, such as yours. I'm fairly certain that, were a story of J vs. M's caliber were to be written for any other series, it would recieve much higher marks. But, for SMJ, no fanfic can really match the level of quality the anime has shown. You understand, right?