Anime Shows to Look Out For! 2006

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Izzy, May 31, 2006.

1. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Hey folks, this is Izzy speaking. I'm not going to say I'm up to date on things as far as the realm of anime goes, but I'll try to at least be giving good *new* anime to watch, in case people are bored and need something new. All members currently watching something currently released are more than welcome to share their insights and recommendations here!

This thread is not, in any sort of essence, a means to get anime illegally. FYI.

1. High School Girls/Girl's High - This show is actually turning out to be hilarious. I guess it's more because you get to see how girls act (supposedly anyway) when there are no guys around...from...plucking to school physicals...it's hilarious. Not to say there aren't serious parts, but the overall tone is obviously comedy. Gets pretty darn risque too.

2. Air Gear - A...great Oh! Great! manga. I'm pretty sure you can easily use the search function to see something about it here. Lots of perversity in this one too, then again, lots of great action. Oh! Great! used to be a h-doujin exclusive artist. He has then reached out a bit, into the mainstream field. Tenjou Tenge was his earlier release.

3. Ah! My Goddess! 2nd Season - It's out. It's good. Go get it. We have a forum here. Go post there and make it lively again, so Teddz won't feel bad.

4. Karin - Remember that episode of the Simpsons when Lisa speculated about Reverse Vampires? Karin is one! Basically, Karin is a "reverse vampire" that GIVES blood to people when they are overly depsressed around her. That blood usually gives people a eurphoric high, similar to that one scene in Office Space, and lets them do things they are otherwise unable to do. Unfortunately for her, her family doesn't seem to like what's going on...

5. Kashimashi/Girls Meets Girl - More gender confusing that Ranma 1/2, this is about a boy who turns into a girl, who finds out that the girl he likes actually doesn't like him as a boy...who likes him as a girl. Shoujo-ai fluffy. Apparently really popular in Japan as well, it seems odd, but also quite a bit of drama...as the love triangle evens out with the best girl-friend who liked him as a guy, but never had the guts to say anything to him/her/expletive.

6. Witchblade - Yup, Dark Cow's girl of extraneous calcific matter has come to migrate to Japan! Well...actually, it's just the extraneous calcific matter that migrated, but whatever. The witchblade has chosen a new owner, and has based itself in Japan. Guaranteed lively action, though I've only thus seen snippets of the first episode.

7. School Rumble - Best high school comedy since Azumanga Daioh, in my humble opinion. And if you know me about AzuDai...then that's saying a dammmmmmmmned awful lot.

8. School Rumble: 2nd Semester - See above. And Yakumo and Eri are hot.

Again, these are just suggestions as to some anime that come highly recommended by me. I'm always a fan of suggestions, and if anybody makes a good one -- which I'm sure all of you will -- I'm more than glad to see if it is indeed as good as you say. I hope that somebody will feel the same of mine. =]

P.S. Please assume that everyone here already knows the greatness of: Evangelion, Trigun, Yu Yu Hakusho, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, Love Hina, Hellsing, Princess Mononoke, Rurouni Kenshin, Saber Marionette (S/J/R), Fushigi Yuugi, Tenchi Muyo, Ranma 1/2, Ghost in the Shell (Movie/SC/2ng Gig), etc. Sorry to say it, but they're old and new stuff has come out since then. :)

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

How can you possibly have a list of new anime to watch without including Kanon 2006? :p If you look on Animesuki, you should be able to find a trailer for it.

Kyoto Animation is remaking the series, which was originally made by Toei in 2002. Even though it is just a remake, it already looks beautiful.

Screenshot. You're getting Kanon's amazing story, animated by the same people who animated Air, in it's absolutely stunning beauty.

3. Fushigi Rockna

Oh, isn't the full title of that Kamichama karin? xD i'd like to point out that it's the latest from Koge Donbo, the creator of Di Gi Charat and Pita Ten, so you can expect the same kind of cuteness. =) the manga is also available, TokyoPop brought it over and renamed it 'Chibi Vampire'.

4. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Hooray for Megami-Sama!

Can't wait to watch it.

I also remember something about there being a Mahou Sensei Negima movie to look out for. Word on that?

I may stick this thread later. It's good to know all the new school things that are coming out.

-Seishin

5. furryb

furryb Blind guy drawing...

Hmm... School Rumble eh? Time to add that to the list of things to check out. To add to the list, I'll suggest The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Watch the second episode first though. I almost never went back after watching the first one. It is really wierd. :eek:

6. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Thus far I have checked out Air Gear and I plan on witchblade.

But Karin does sound pretty good.

Another one I say is Good Witch of the West

Possibly Ray

And Kiba

7. Fushigi Rockna

I concur. i started watching this anime a couple days ago and already i'm hooked like you wouldn't believe.
    Unlike furryb tho, i thought the first episode was brilliant. xD I mean, I got right away that what i was seeing was a...
    movie made by the characters starring themselves. ironically enough, this odd movie was also foreshadowing of the characters *cough* xD
    The only thing I really had a problem with is the shuffling of episodes, because the show's main them is 'confusion', but I don't ahve that big of a problem with it. it just makes me wnat to see the rest of the episodes more. =D

8. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

...Good luck finding School Rumble now folks. :(

But, the good news is it might make it stateside faster than expected! :)

I've caught up getting all of RAY: the Animation, and it definitely looks interesting. It definitely helps that the main character looks an awful lot like Kuga from Mai HiME/OTOME. :)

9. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

must ... see more anime's, wonder what happened to Rave Master, i liked that. but nooooo they took it off toonami :(

10. Luffy

Luffy I Can See A New Horizon

yea i liked Rave Master you can get the movies for like rent but id rather see it on toonami

11. Chane

Chane Audience of One

12. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member