Yaoi and Yuri Sites..

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by KaYasha, Mar 13, 2005.

1. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

2. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

ummm who and what anime are they from :confused: . then i might know

3. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

looks like there from inuyasha, i didnt watch any and i wont. not that experimental, however if anybody has a good site for yuri, i'd be more than happy to take a look.

4. seto/joey rlz!

seto/joey rlz! New Member

5. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

I kept meaning to answer this thread, but i realised i need to do more than just posting some links because the world of Japanese doujin sites needs a bit of explaining, then it kind of turned into a mini guide...

The best sites of course are Japanese, on the .jp domain, very little English is on them which makes them hard to google , unless you do it in Japanese. You definitely need your computer set up for asian languages, I hope everyone here has! Then they are hard to navigate being in Japanese, but you get the hang of them after a while, because they nearly all have the same format.

For example if you are looking for doujin pics (main reason to go!) then look for イラスト (irasto), just "ira", illustrations. Or you might see ギャラリー(gyarari) for gallery. The kanji for pictures or images is 画像 (gazou) and also look out for "CG" meaning computer graphics, a lot of web doujin is done on computer. I guess you can always cllick things and see where they go, but they often have a lot of links with a very confusing layout. Also try mousing over the link and chec the URL on your browser status bar, the urls have to be in English or at least romaji, so that helps. Fortunately more an more site use some English because it is cool in Japan.

Plenty also have webcomics as well, usally in a diferent location to the irasto, and "novels" text story, not much good unless you read Japanese. They often call the manga stories Webコミック (webcomikku) instead of manga. Also look out for the links section where you can find more sites to explore. This word is handy to know リンク (rinku) links.

Another key word you see a lot is オリジナル or オリ (orijinaru/ori) which means original characters, meaning not yaoi or fan doujinshi.

One more "tradition" that needs explaining is giriban (like 義理チョコ girichoko, gift chocolate),but ban means number. This is fun, what happens is all these sites have a visit counter, and the web master sets some big numbers and if the counter is at that number when you visit, you get to request a gift illustration or story from the webmaster, you can say what you want the pic or story to be. These are displayed in the "gift" section of the site for everyone to see. The artists also do gift pictures, or congratulation pictures for each other. All these will have some writing or dedication in the ilustration, eg "Thanks for 60000 hit".

Finally when you get to a "gyarari" of "irasuto" they dont always have thumbnails, sometimes little coloured dots to click! Very user-unfreindly. Japanese web design is unique like that ^_~

WARNING: I think its necesary to give a warning because there are many sites which you may easily come acroos with pretty hard core ero artwork, what most people will know as hentai. Some is very shocking or offensive to western eyes. There is usually a warning though, often in red lettering, look out for "R18".

OK now thats over here are a couple of sites of the kind Im talking about (no, I DO NOT mean the hard core ero sites). These are BL (or yaoi if you like) with guys in romantic situations, but not erotic or hentai:

永遠の森 (Forest of Evermore)
    This is mostly a BL site (ボーイズラブ Boyslove eg Gravitation is in the BL genre) with some fantasy bishounen and fan doujin art. Look out for the gallery 2, the link is hard to see, its underneath "2002年" (過去絵). The quality of some of this art is really good.

Slight Fever
    Another boizurabu site with a unique style of art. Original characters (オリ) and lots of typical BL type couples and bishounen portraits. I like the one with the blood (look for red spots on the thumbnail). You often get dark edgy pics like this, with blood, guns, knifes, blood soaked bandages etc.

I dont think i will ever figure japanese culture out, but i love it ^_^

Sorry if this post got a bit "otaku" ^_~ (hey I could of gone on even more detail) but hope it was useful for some people.