Computers Sl.o..w...n....e.......s..........s........

Discussion in 'Computers' started by blood_pheonix, Feb 27, 2003.

1. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

my comp is slowing down horrificly.
    especially when i go on the internet.
    i suspect those **** hole ****ing things. spyware. ****ing..........
    i need to know if there is a way to speed up your comp.
    like, i have tried downloading programs (pc bosster), defragmenting, but i can seem to get it faster.
    sometimes a thing comes up and says "not enough virtual memory" and attempts to speed my comp up, that seems to help alot.
    and i wanna know what that virtuall memory thing is.
    and i was wondering if there are hardware i can buy thatll speed uip my comp aswell (someone said ram might help).
    well, any help will be appreciated.
    thanks.
    blood_pheonix

2. Slydice

Slydice ave, Lex, morituri te salutamus

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Virtual Memory is like RAM. Well, in a virtual sense, duh! Hehe. Anyway, it's pretty much the hard drive space you allocate so you can open up programs and apps at the same time. What that denotes to me is a lack of RAM, or your set virtual paging file is low. RAM is cheap nowadays so I can suggest boosting RAM, I bought some (frakcing laptop RAM, even SDRAM is hella expensive....boohiss!!!) and the computer sped up quite a bit.

If you don't want to spend money...and it seems like you don't. Try this out, if you have lots of Hard Disk space on your comp. Go to your control panel, then system. A small window should pop up, with a lot of tabs in it. Click on the Advanced tab, and click on the Virtual Memory button. Now, change it to a HIGHER number, as in, above the one you have in use right now. If you don't play lots of games, just set it to your maximum, and set your maximum to some number above that. I set mine around 2 gigs, just because I dont' like that little popup that comes up, should it ever happen. :p

Also, try this out, if you have XP. Get windows 98 instead. Or even NT, but then, games need more oomph to play right. If you have XP on a sub-500 Mhz, sub-128 MB RAM computer...then you're a LOT better off with 98, even if you think XP is prettier. Even then, dont' trust the 128 MB RAM. It's just used up way too fast.

Try doing msconfig. Go to RUN then type in msconfig, and click on that last tab. This enables you to screw around with what you want to show on your taskbar, and I generally remove anything that has my account running it. Like, norton or quicktime. Those run under your user name, and you can just fire those up whenever the need arises, so dont' start it up when the computer starts.

Oh, and DO check out your startup folder. PLenty a time, people who don't pay attention to their comps when putting new programs in, or whatever have an over-filled startup folder. Delete anything there that you don't need. Actually, it'd probably be better if you just dont' have anything there at all, entirely.

Lastly, if those bug you so much, upgrade your whole package. I know there are money issues, but let's face it, a newer and well-built computer will have less memory problems than you're facing now.