Slayers Universe Slayers Revolution - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, Jul 5, 2008.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The first episode has debuted to the fan subbed world, and I just have to say what almost everyone else has said on the subject.

"Welcome back, Lina Inverse!"

Slayers has still got the magic, and I will be on pins and needles over the next couple months for each new helping as it arrives. But what do I personally think of the new series having seen the new episode?

The cast looks great in HD without looking too redesigned from previous works. The voice actors and actresses have still got it, especially Megumi slipping seamlessly back into the title role. The musical score included some new set pieces, but it was the nostalgic trip back through what seemed like the entire score of the previous Slayers series that really set the tone.

Earlier information indicated that the episode was meant to be a re-introduction of sorts for new Slayers viewers in a method not to bore long-time fans. However, I'm not convinced from my viewing that Revolution is something I would thrust onto a new viewer. There is a bit of revelation in regards to Lina's character, but the rest of the cast are very lightly touched upon. I would instead point interested parties to the original series for a better introduction. There are quick one-liners thrown about to point to earlier events ("We're looking for a new sword for Gourry", "She destroyed the Kingdom of Xoana and Seyruun", etc.) but said events are played out much better in their original context.

The first episode vibrantly animates the pages of the teaser manga that was released in Dragon Magazine a month or so back, expanded to include an extended introduction. It feels like two fast paced, action-filled episodes crammed into one, leading to my only complaint - They need to slow down the pace some. So much happens in such a short time span, that the first episode feels like a quick cram session to get all the characters back together again and set up the initial plot. It's not a bad pacing, but I felt there was enough material to span almost an hour of viewing, making some of the sequences seem rushed and minor jokes and details were conceivably lost to anyone not wholly familiar with historical events because they flew by at breakneck speed.

All in all, the first episode has whet my appetite, and I am confident the pacing will settle after getting past the starting gate of the new series. In particular, I am looking forward to Zuuma's appearance - his short exchange with Gourry in the opening sequence is nothing short of cool.