Computers something about converting avi into VCDs

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sachiko, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

I'm having a funny problem with it. This is the first time happening to the conversion too. Well...is there anyway to change the ratio of the screen if it's too big? The avi file plays fine on the computer, but the screen's too big for the TV. Is there anyway to fix that?

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Erm...What exactly are you using to convert the stream?

AFAIK VCD Format is MPEG, and at different resolution based on whether you're targeting for a PAL or NTSC player.

A simple resize filter ought to be doable, if the media is larger than your target. Most conversion tools should have that option if you look a bit.

3. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

May you tell me the program and how do you actually convert avi into VCD? Please :3 I need such a tutorial...

4. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I use Typhoon MPEG encoder (TMPGenc) Tutorial here: VCD help

Side note: They're up to TMPGenc 2.6 but I'm still on 1.2 heh bit slow to upgrade

5. Kairo

Kairo New Member

http://www.vcdhelp.com

^^ Extremely helpful site.

Sachiko..find out first what format your source .avi is. You should use virtualdub to do this. Another great program for .avi info, is called gSpot.

VCDs are mpeg files..so you'll need to recompress the avi into mpeg. You can use Virtualdub to do this..but you might be better off with MO's suggestion of using TMPGenc.

Next..you'll need to choose which output you want, PAL or NTSC.

If you're converting to PAL..you'll need to resize the video to 352 x 288 pixels and change the framerate to 25 frames/second. If you're converting to NTSC, resize to 352 x 240 and change the framerate to 29,97 frames/second or 23,976 for NTSC Film

6. thejake420

thejake420 Guest

Hi all -

I'm Jake, webmaster of VCDHelp.us and I'd be glad to help anybody out with VCD issues. Swing by the site and drop in the Help Area (ie - forums), and you'll find a world of useful advice.

A word of advice re: vcdhelp."com". Not to knock the competition, so to speak, but the whole reason I started VCDHelp.us is that vcdhelp."com" has a lot of inaccurate information on their site. Many of the tutorials don't work at all, and those that do are typically not written by video experts, so proceed at your own risk. :) It isn't that they're trying to steer people wrong, it's just that they let anybody post a tutorial whether it's good or bad, which (IMHO) isn't a very professional setup... LOL

(By the way, I'm a recognized video expert, as is the co-owner of the site, and we write all of our own tutorials, for just that reason.)

ANYWAY... VCD is an MPEG file.
    Specifically, it is an MPEG-1 file, 352x240 for NTSC (or 352x288 for PAL), and it has to have a framerate of 29.97 frames per second (or 25 FPS for PAL), anda constant bitrate of 1150 kbits/second.

Don't worry if that sounds kinda scary and overly technical. You don't really have to memorize it if you follow the tutorial step by step.

Another point worth mentioning is tht if you're converting from AVI to VCD (ie - MPEG) you're going to run into audio/video sync issues. (AVI uses compressed audio, and MPEG uses uncompressed audio.) I've written a very easy tutorial on how to fix this problem witha program called "VirtualDub". It simply strips the audio form the AVI and converts it to a WAV file (WAV is an uncompressed format), and then you can run the whole shebang through TMPGEnc (the encoder program) with excellent results.

On a side note, my girlfriend is a HUGE Slayers fan (I just had to bought her the entire collection on DVD, plus the movies... LOL) and when when she asked me what I was doing and I replied that I was "on an anime site", she was stunned... LOL

Jake

7. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Welcome to m2a, Jake

I've been checking out your site, it seems legit, well written, and has some very useful information. Good to see people who actually know what they're talking about for video around here. I'm an expert in computer repair and design, but video is something I've never studied as more than an aside ('Arg it doesn't work, time to redownload the divx codecs').

Also, good to know there's another Slayers fan out there, there aren't enough of us :p

- Ark