Music Sonic Youth

Discussion in 'Music' started by Dante, May 31, 2004.

1. Dante

Dante New Member

There's no real one way to describe Sonic Youth with their versatility. But when you go to listen to this band there is one thing you can expect; old school mellow rock-alternative with poetically just and all around artistically original and mind-bogglingly confusing lyrics, given a big kick in the *** with loud, screeching experimental sounds and electrical distortion throughout.

As my friend Ei described it...

Chaotic.

And that is meant in the nicest way possible, tyvm.

Needless to say this is NOT the kind of band you want to listen to if you have a migraine, and if you want some Glam Rock band, don't look this way. If you want some poor excuse of a "punk" band whining about how bad their life was or about lost love, stay away. If you're more partial to bands with vocalists that have to screech incoherently and paint their faces, wearing absurd and pointlessly stupid costumes, while simultaneously abusing the thesaurus so much that it'd make Roget turn over in his grave, just to feel like "musicians", get out.

Since 1981 (their first CD released in 1983), this 23-year-old band has put out countless addictive songs spanning 16 CDs (with the next out soon) and 21 Singles, such songs ranging from Teenage Riot ("Everybody's talking about the stormy weather, what's a man to do but work out whether it's true? Looking for a man with a focus and temper who can open up a map and see between one and two."), to streamXsonik Subway ("Flipped on my perceptik cogs, checked in with the future Gods, for melodies of bees and hogs, start my day the perfect way. Burned a batch of mazzy funk, poor girl noise and choke-style punk, clapped it on and off I slunk to the streamXsonik subway.")

Or if you're looking for the more "nonsensical" lyrics, there's always Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style (From their latest album, Murray Street) ("I am dead by the beauty of strangers, in horror my eye-head transforms them, into smiling, beautific room mates, from dust to dust they create rock 'n' roll. Here comes something: you are Lou Reed, transformer cracked by the backyard stream, killer tunes, bubblegum disaster, radical adults lick godhead style.")

Any way... whoever you are, if you're looking for something different, head this way. As far as songs that I prefer.. I'm more partial to:

Teenage Riot, Chapel Hill, Sugar Kane, Little Trouble Girl, The Diamond Sea (careful, 20 minute song here), The Empty Page, Karen Revisited, streamXsonik Subway, Purr, Sunday, Hits Of Sunshine (For Allen Ginsberg), Becuz and Junkie's Promise. Start with those and work your way up. :p

2. clovefan

clovefan New Member

i like sonic youth very much :anime:
    i liked there 1992 album
    kim gordon rocks