Studio Ghibli Works Spirited Away coming to teathers!!

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Quistis, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Quistis

Quistis New Member

Ok well it won a oscar (no one really cares about the oscars tho)

It is a anime I pretty sure because it looks like one and was done by Japanese. It is coming to theathers it looks pretty good I just wanted to tell everyone that it is coming to the teather.

I don't know what it is about but it looks good I would pay to go see it.

If anyone knows anything about it chould you put down some info. I don't want to leave everyone in mystery about what the movie is about.

Well that's all!!! :D

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Well, I'm not going to divulge any spoilers or what not, but all I have to say is that Spirited Away was in theaters HERE (California) all of months ago...and I'm glad it won an Oscar. Hail to the fact that GREAT anime is getting publicity. Good publicity.

3. c0ke

c0ke New Member

I'm not sure whether if it's coming back to theaters, but I know for a fact that the DVD's coming out on April 15.

4. Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly New Member

Hmmm, never heard that release date, but yeah, it came out in theaters last September.

5. Quistis

Quistis New Member

ok well thanx I was told it was already in theaters but I saw a comercial here in Canada that it was coming to theater maybe they said video, if i am wrong sorry. Anyway I hard it was a good movie and I am happy it won a oscar too (it is the only ocsar I cared about). T.V. guide said that Lilo & Stich should win the ocsar. Lilo & Stich was agood movie but anime's are always better than disney, I least I think so.

6. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

I live in canada and i am going to see it tommorow

7. Quistis

Quistis New Member

so it is in Canadian theathers COOL i am going to see it soon then

8. Alakai

Alakai New Member

Actually, It says in the commercial it is made by disney but.. thats besides the point. The preview looked awesome and I loved the drawing style. So I might go see it tomorrow.

9. Quistis

Quistis New Member

WHAT???? made by disney WHAT??? that is not right I hear some Japanese person made it and he put it out

Great now disney is in control of anime oh god i hope they don't start censoring it and making it all lovey dovey

10. Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly New Member

No, it is not MADE by Disney, Disney is the one in charge of publishing and distributing the movies made by...(yada-yada). Sorry, I'm horrible with names, but he also made Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Sevice, Castle in the Sky and such and such, he is very famous. Spirited Away is the #1 movie of all time in Japan. Sadly Disney has done a poor job bringing out his products here.

Lilo and Stitch was a good movie, full of energy, but Spirited Away did deserve it. The nice thing about his projects besided some insane traditional animation is the fact that the story isn't crunched in 80 minutes, but rather covers over 2 hours.

I do not agree that anime is better then the animation founded in america. Rather one needs to look at the PEOPLE. Animation, manga, and video games are a lot bigger, and openly accepted by different age groups in its home country. Manga makes up 90% of Japanese reading of leasure, while here in the states novels take over as common reading. Video Games are put out in the streets, there are public events...its very much Hollywood over there.

Will comics and animation become more accepted here? It's possible.

Dreamworks is going to start publishing anime in a big way as they tap into the Japanese culture of entertainment...which started with the Ring. With this academy award won by Spirited Way, and the failure of Treasure Planet, I hope Disney will give the area some more attention.

But HOPEFULLY we get more epic animations FROM America, and not from Japan, as an artist I do not entirely agree on this foreign dependence to such an extreme degree.

11. Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly New Member

Oh, and about censorship, Disney does not censor any of his products. However they have not realeased all of his works, and lack dub AND sub versions. In other words they only lack in keeping the diehards happy.

12. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

They scensored snow white, she was supposed to get choked almost to death by a corset

13. Alakai

Alakai New Member

Well what I meant was I saw the disney name on the preview.. thats all..

14. Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly New Member

chiquitabanana: Yes, yes, and Cinderella's sisters' cut off their toes. The person who can transfer such details to animation, and keep it decent has yet to live, and no, anime could NEVER bring such scenes to life without humor which would there by censor the dark undertones that are needed.

Alakai: That's all, or that's all you knew? If not, fully explaining yourself helps others see your points.

15. Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly New Member

Yeah, I highly doubt the movie will be coming officially to DVD soon, it was re-released to theaters after the win.