Studio Ghibli Works Spirited Away featured in Sunday Tribune i Magazine

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Cloud, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Full page feature, did you ever think you'd see something about Anime in an Irish newspaper (apart from Pokemon)?

2. ThirdChild

ThirdChild New Member

Well, I think that the main reasons this is getting publicity are:
    1) It's being marketed as a "kids movie" as opposed to an actual anime. So its going to be shown in cinema's all over the place as opposed to selected theatres.

2) It's an Oscar winnar(!) so that can be used as a selling point.

3)It's one of the best things to come out of Japan in since Cowboy Bebop.

Heh, I'd like to see them do this with Grave of the Fireflies (same director, I think).

3. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

It got featured in the Sunday Times magazine as well, they gave it one star :/

Fools.

4. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Yeah Cosmo Landsman, the resident movie critic slated it as the most over rated movie of 2003.

But I never agree with that guy, he's full of ****. He embodies every worst aspect of movie critics.

5. nioupy

nioupy New Member

the original title is Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi, right ?

if so this is the movie is simply beautiful, i would say unbelievable. I've seen it three times in cinema in france (but with the suckin french translation) and i just loved it.

I've been surprised to see they just start playin it in dublin, but i really like this so i'll go !

but is there any reason to explain they just release it (and also critic) ? 'cause it's not that recent...

6. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

They only released it now because it won an oscar. Noone cares for anime in this country, apart from the extreme fringes. Which is us. And if you do go to it, make sure it's in the IFI(formerly IFC), as it's got the subbed version as opposed to the english dub(boo).
    I saw it all over the gaf in the all the papers, most giving it due respect. And all who didn't are just retards in all fairness.
    Grave of the Fireflies isn't the same director, although it is studio ghibli. I think Miyazaki did produce it though. I wouldn't say it would be released in this country in the cinema, we'd have to put it on ourselves would be the only way. It is from the 80s like.

7. nioupy

nioupy New Member

ghibli ? this is the studio which released kingdom of cats (hum... i hope you'll see what i'm talking about as i just have the french name which once translated gives thtat title) ?

If so, well... it has also been played in cinema in the few past months in france.

Grave of firflies is a nice one to see. Both graphically and about the story. I wish i could see it on a big screen... Maybe one day ;)