Studio Ghibli Works Spirited Away won the Oscar!

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by kapitanbar, Mar 25, 2003.

1. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi ("Spirited Away") won the Oscar for the best animated picture.

At least for just one time it was a justified prize

More here (Nausicaa.net)

2. Odin

Odin Member

::throws a party::
    -Odin

3. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Yeah.I was like, "Whoa".I bet all the people there were like, "What's that?"It totally beat Lilo and Stitch,Treasure Planet,and Spirit.In your face,Disney!

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Disney was the one that released "Spirited Away", Blue Crow. It's rather working WITH them, ain't it? I didn't watch the Oscar's, but I'm pretty sure that everybody there (or at least most people) knew that the movie was great.

5. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Well,yes they helped supervise it's American release,but in reality it's a Hayao Miyazaki film.So,yeah,I guess it's a win win situation for Disney.It just goes to show that Anime mixed with a pinch of Disney is better than full on Disney.

6. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Yeah, it was great that it won. I felt most of the others were undeserving.
    I enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed Michael Moore's speech. That guy rules.

7. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

..:: dances around with a bottle of champagne and takes a swig::..

8. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I just saw the trailor on Cartoon Network.It looks really cool.Apparently,they're going to release it nationwide on account of the Oscar.Or maybe they were going to do that anyway.I should see it when I'm in Indy this weekend.

9. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

When I saw that, I basically ran up the walls going "woop-woop-woop"..... suprised the hell out of me. The dub looks crap though.

10. Odin

Odin Member

I've seen the subtitled version twice and the dub once. Even though there were a couple differences between the two, they were basically negligible and the dub was fine. In the dub, however, they added some pieces of dialogue in which there was nothing spoken in the sub - but the reasons were understandable, and, actually, the very LAST piece of dialogue of the dub (which was added) made the movie a lot more enjoyable for me and makes me, on some levels, prefer it.

::shrugs::
    -Odin

11. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member

Yeah, I was really happy to. Miyazaki Hayao's films are always so beautiful >_<. I found it kind of confusing though since I saw it at Japan at the movies. Maybe I'll go see it with a friend again over my Spring Vacation.:)

12. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

I personally perfer dubbed... but maybe thats just me! :anime:

13. daisuke14

daisuke14 New Member

I JUST WENT TO SEE THE IT TODAY AND IT WAS TOTALLY AWSOME NO WONDER IT WIN THE OSCAR IT WAS THE BEST MOVIE I SAW THIS MONTH AND IT ALSO HAVE A GOOD GRAPHIC:D I TOTALLY LOVE IT THAT WAS SO GOOD THAT I CANT WAIT IF IT GONNA COME OUT IN VIDEO SO I CAN BUY IT IM GONNA WATCH IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN:D :cool: ;) :) :p

14. Alucard666

Alucard666 New Member

i really want to see it, i might just download it, or ill get some money up and go see it. either way it looked really good. isn tthe company that did something with it studio ghibli? if so, didnt they do sumthin with princess mononoke as well? im just wondering

15. Odin

Odin Member

Yes, Studio Ghibli did Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke (along with many other wonderful films).
    -Odin

16. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I just got the DVD!It's a great movie!Not as good as everyone said it was,but still great!The Extras,although few,are fairly long.There's a whole disk for extras and stuff.Some lame thing about the English voice actors.All things considered,it's a good buy.

17. rauko_ganwethrin

rauko_ganwethrin New Member

i just got the dvd too! i love the movie. although the part where chihiro is crying when shes eating the riceballs kinda creeps me out. those are some funky lookin tears. ^.^