Comics Sprite Comics

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Narusegawa Naru, Mar 12, 2003.

?

Sprite Comics the Bane of Online Comic Strips?

1. Nah.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes!

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Maybe--it just depends on how many are worth the read.

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. I don't really know, or care.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Narusegawa Naru

Narusegawa Naru New Member

Where do you stand? Are MegaMan--or any--sprite comics good or bad for comic reputation?

I think that sprite comics are okay, as long as they're funny and have at least some plot. Bob and George is a key example of what it takes for them to work right.

Are sprite comics bad because it takes less effort than actually drawing comics? Maybe. But when you take a look at how long it takes to edit sprite sheets and make a somewhat good storyline, then you begin to see that there's more to it.

I am an author of a MegaMan sprite comic strip. I spend a lot of time writing out scripts and editing sprites. From experience, there's a lot more work involved than people think.

2. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

The first one I ever saw was 8-Bit Theater. I thought it was actually pretty interesting. But then I saw more and more sprite comics, and realized that in my mind, they got played out pretty fast. I think my initial reaction came from nostalgia, at seeing old skool games remixed into comics. But after a while, I feel they suffer from the P.Diddy syndrome...the taking of classic masterpieces and making "bad remixes."

Also, being an artist means being original. That's why I don't believe in fanfics and fanart. My roommate worships Batman and wants me to draw a comic that he'd write featuring Batman. I told him straight up "no," that I only do original stuff (as well as not having the right style to make a dark, American-style action comic, and wanting to do my OWN stories as well). Using sprites of old (or even new) videogames, in my eyes, just isn't being original, especially if you devote an entire series of comics to sprites. And yeah, I think it does take less effort to make sprite comics because you don't draw anything (good drawings takes a lot of skill, as well as perception), and regular comics use scripts too. In fact, I'd think a regular comic demands more in scripts simply cuz they can be serious (people assume a sprite comic is just all fun)

The only way I'm okay with them is if they're used sporadically, and rarely, within a normal, drawn comic. Either that or the plot/scripts have to be really good.

3. Narusegawa Naru

If that's how you'll feel, then you won't have a future in art. I'm really sorry to say that but it's true. To get started you won't be doing original stuff. You'll be working for someone else and doing what THEY want. If you pull that off then you might get lucky and get your own series published. The chances of you getting lucky and getting published right out of college is slim to none.

And some sprite comics are very original Bob and George is really original in my eyes. Though my opinion wouldn't matter as much compared to a reader since I'm a sprite comic author and I'm biased.

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I think Sprite Comics are just fine provided everyone realizes that most of the talent of a good web comic seems to lie in good writing. Of course there are funny visual tricks now and then, but still.

Also, before anyone else slams you about how its not original, big deal. I've seen many, many, many (+ many^infinity) terrible webcomics with their own art (which also sucks!)

:)

Got a sample of a strip we could see?

Edit: And yes, webcomics can take less time. But nearly EVERYTHING takes less time in a digital medium. Besides, even if its quick, it can sometimes be tricky to make a scene look right. Plus, sometimes funny little minor add-ons happen (like Black Mage sticking his fingers in an "hey hey" sorta way at White Mage). A very small change, indeed, but my friends and I have been enjoying that one joke for over a year now.

5. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Just cuz I don't believe in fanwork doesn't mean I won't have a future in art. I won't necessarily work for a big company, and I don't necessarily want to create an original work. Likewise, the people I know who really won't have a future in art (no art job, not even art classes) are the ones who DO make fanfics and fanart. They believe in fanwork, so they'd be more better off in an art career than me? You think I could pass my art classes only by drawing parodies of famous series?

Finally, didn't I make it clear in my first post that I'm not entirely against sprite comics? If you look at the results of the poll so far, you'll see that most votes were in the middleground as well. And just cuz I say I don't believe in fanwork doesn't mean I can make it big, working for a company doing what they tell me to.

And hey, people publish their own stuff all the time without any experience with big companies. Look at MegaTokyo, built from the ground up from sheer skill with drawing, catering to the audience, etc. My brother and his friends draw nearly as well, and could probably do the same if they had time.

Sure, a lot of professional artists, designers, and producers admit they are fans of something, how they used to create parodies or homemade sequels to old cartoons they loved, but that doesn't necessarily make one's resume better. It's the act of work experience and sheer skill that counts more, don't you think? I'd be more impressed by a young amateur's original stuff than someone else's armada of parodies.

And yeah, Nephilim_X, probably over 90% of the webcomics these days are cruddy, unskilled pieces of shnazz. Those I think are much worse than sprite comics. At least with sprites you have careful planning and even image manipulation--that deserves some regard to time and effort. Webcomics with stick figures and lame jokes (or even lame jokes just half the time) are really unimpressive among my older friends who can draw almost professionally well.

I've said enough. Let's see what others have to say.

6. Narusegawa Naru

I don't mean to offend, I'm just giving you the reality of the situation. There are a few artists that struck it lucky: Yuu Watase, my hero, and Rumiko Takahashi are key examples. Though this is the reality.

In the art field it doesn't matter the education or the classes you have taken, the first thing the publisher will look at is your experience. The only way to receive this experience is to work for a company to start with, just to be safe. It's your best bet if you want to have an original series some day you need that experience.

Another reality is that if you're planning on drawing in the Japanese style, your chances of getting published are even lesser. Don't worry, I'm in the same boat as you on that one. And if you're thinking: okay, I'll see about Japan. You have even less of a chance there. If a chance even exists.

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

*Intervention mode*

Lets settle down, you too. Neither of you meant to offend the other but its rapidly escalating to be that way.

Please, peace.

8. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Wait, you're talking about LARGE scale success there. I meant small kind stuff, you know, like a hobby that happens to make a lil money. Here in Hawaii, mere college (even high school) students can come out with their own musical albums that'll sell in common stores like Wal-Mart (in a matter of maybe a year of working on it, if they are good). That's the kind of thing that I was referring to--small companies who help amateurs with their craft until they DO feel like they've found their stable career. Likewise I had the feeling that Iron Cat Entertainment is kinda like a small company (I did read that they have a staff of less than 10 people), since they're pretty new, and they published the MegaTokyo comic almost just like that.

I guess I was referring to a different reality--original work done in lesser scale rather than as a career. We misunderstood each other, huh? Yeah it would be pretty cool for me or any of my friends to have their own comic published, but it would only start off as a lil something on the side. And if we were to make a comic here in Hawaii, it probably WOULD be considered for publishing locally cuz it'll appeal to locals (something which hardly any Japanese-influenced comics have ever attempted...you'd be surprised at how easily some manga artists here don't take inspiration from the exotic culture they grew up in).

9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

let's stick to the topic of sprite comics...if this moves in the same drawing style conversation, this gets moved to art/design.
    sprite comics are when you use the game sprite and make a comic using them. manga artists and their series have nothing really to do with it.