Star Wars Exegesis

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by BakaMattSu, Jun 13, 2005.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Stumbled upon a very good series of blog entries where a fan takes the many continuity questions that people use in attempts to criticize the Star Wars saga by exposing plotholes between the prequels and the the original trilogy.

He does a good in-depth examination of the question at hand, point-by-point presenting enough information to stave it off. I thought they were interesting reads, so I'm sharing them here:

Why Doesn't Obi-Wan Remember Artoo?
    Why Wasn't Leia A "Hope"?
    Why Doesn't Owen Recognize C-3PO?

I'm sure more will appear on his blog in the future.

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Quite the read, that was.

I've got to stop reading the spoiler-ific articles. Who knows when Episode III will make it to pay per view. :(

3. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Wow. Now this guy knows what he is doing.

There's been many other questions answered on the Star Wars Insider Magazine, like the difference in looks and ages between both Obi-Wan Kenobis, Alec Guiness and Ewan McGreagor. But the R2 one is something i've never heard of before.

-Seishin

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

5. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Impressive. Now, i've decided to show you a question that has been answered elsewhere:

Q: I've Been Trying to do the math, and it doesn't seem to add up: Isn't Obi-Wan Kenobi in episode IV in his 70's? So how can he be in his 20's on the prequel Trilogy?

A: It's a common trouble spot, given how much Obi-Wan's age was played up in Episode IV. Lines like :Where'd you dig up that old fossil?" didn't exactly help matters.

Alec Guinness was born on April 2, 1914, meaning that he was on his 62nd Birthday during the filming of A New Hope in Ajim, Djerba. That's at least 8 years shy of being septuagenarian, but it is older than Obi-Wan's age would be.

In Episode I, Obi-Wan is 25 standard years old. Advancing the time line, he's 35 in Episode II (Plus 10 years), and 38 in episode III (Plus 3 years), and already starting to show gray hairs. The Clone Wars will do that to you.

This would make him 57 years old on Episode IV. That's 13 years short of the estimated "in his 70's"-still a bit off, but in fact closer to Guinness real age (just five years off) that most peole guess. Those looking for a rationalization can point out that living almost two decades on Tatoonie can account for any visual discrepancies. Your skin will age twice as fast under those powerful suns!

Hope that bit of info helped. Thank you Star Wars insider for that bit of information!

-Seishin

1 person likes this.
  6. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

On Episode II: Attack of the Clones, there's three total graves where Shmi Skywalker was buried. Who's were those?

Next to Shmi's headstone is a grave shared by both of Cliegg Lars' parents, Hredda and Lerf. Then the smallest headstone is of Cliegg Lars' brother who died at age 14 after loosing control of the family landspeeder.

Didnt Luke ask about the graves?

Owen took them down to avoid any unpleasant questions from Luke, but Luke knew of Shmi (thats where the Skywalker name came from). But Shmi was a very little part of Luke's life, which Owen Lars carefully watched over.

PS: I think Obi-Wan should have bought some sunscreen :p

- Kaiyon