Movies Star Wars on DVD today! But...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by BakaMattSu, Sep 21, 2004.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Not the version that many fans had been hoping for. Lucas has decided to release only the Special Edition version of the movie that was produced and shown in theatres in 1997. And he didn't stop there. According to CNN.com, there are 5 other changes that have been made to the DVD medium.

• The screaming of Luke that was added to the Special Edition release as he plummeted down Cloud City's air shafts has been removed in the DVD version. I personally think this is a good thing, tbh. "Jedi don't scream"
    • The CG for Jabba the Hutt has been redone for his reinserted scene with Han - yay! I hope it's more convincing than that poorly done SE version.
    • All of Boba Fett's spoken lines have been re-dubbed by the actor who played Jango Fett in Episode II. This one ticks me off personally. I haven't heard it yet, but I can't imagine the line "As you wish" being delivered any more perfectly than how Jeremy Bulloch said it.
    • Empire's "What is thy bidding master" scene with the Emperor has been re-done, using Ian McDiarmid in place of the stand in actor and voiceover that was previously used. This could have been left, but I'm curious to see, nonetheless, as it should be an okay change.
    • Naboo has been added to the ranks of the Celebration scenes at the end of Return of the Jedi - which is fine. However, when Luke looks over at his Jedi mentors Yoda and Obi-Wan, the Anakin standing there is now portrayed by Hayden Christiansen, not the original film's actor. For "consistency's sake", I suppose. But it's the most contraversial of the changes.

Lucas reportedly has pushed up his release of the Trilogy, which he originally planned to release after Episode III was on DVD, due to piracy concerns on the market. He also stated that when he originally made the trilogy films, they only ended up being about 30% of what he wanted them to be.

Despite any gripes I have with the changes, I will be getting my copy -- I still have my VHS to fall back on for "purity".

Edit: Oh, and Greedo still shoots first. :(

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I don't think I'll be buying "Star Wars- The Expensive Collection" (Penny Arcade) or the "Travesty Edition" (UrashimaKeitaro) If one wants a digital copy of the original films, you are stuck trying to find an old laserdisc edition. Someone seriously needs to find one of those and make a DVD ISO of it and share it on bittorrent. Now for some thoughts on the various changes.

Hayden as Anakin.. wtf. Why not replace Alec Guiness with Ewan? argh

Luke screaming as he fell down the shaft: I must have blocked that from my mind. lame. Glad that is gone.

Greedo: too lame for words.

Boba Fett's new voice: whatever. The original did fine, but I understand why that might change

Emperor's scene: didn't know that was a stand in actor. Why was that so?

New Jabba CG: yay. maybe it will suck less

Naboo celebration: since we can't make episode 1 cease to exist, this makes sense. It's where Luke's mother came from after all.

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

He only had a bit part in ESB, so they didn't cast the actor they eventually went with (McDiarmid) when his part became crucial. Read an interesting interview with him where he describes how he actually had to mimic the voice of the previously dubbed actor to keep consistency.

Actually, the "stand in actor" was a woman in a rubber mask. :p

"There is a great disturbance in the force," indeed.

The lamest thing about the Hayden/Anakin thing is that Luke never saw his father that way to begin with, so he'd never know the difference...

4. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

i saw the end of return of the jedi in a store that was previewing the whole thing

ok changing that ship to a naboo starfighter was a waste of time but overall the changes i saw werent that bad

Also in the end of the movie it wasn't changed (i mean the anakin thing). Was that just some internet rumor or did i hear things wrong.

also greedo sucks first

5. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

It still seems pretty quick, though. Almost like they both shot at the same time. Maybe I should play in slow motion XD

Oh, and I'm surprised Luke wasn't like "who the heck are you?" when the ghost of younger Annakin showed up.

The new CG of Jabba is less suck than it was in the original SE. But, he still doesn't look like a cg version of the puppet they used in Return of the Jedi.

Oh, the movie teasers on the fourth disc are hillarious! So is that little clip at the end of the lightsaber featurette where the kid got a lightsaber for Christmas and swings it around and cuts his mother's head off.. well, hillarious in a sick, demented way. Too bad they don't have the Star Wars Holiday special on there. XD

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

This has been killing me. I've been looking forward to these DVDs for ages and just when they come out, I can't afford them. Not until October. And EVERYONE is talking about them. The entire community at Spacebattles, now this thread here, even frickin COSTCO had the things playing when we went there! (too bad the saps never configured their tvs properly, the video was all distorted and I actually felt offended they were so lazy)

Anyway. The little clip of the kid with the lightsabers actually been circulating the net for years, but still :D From what I've seen it's mostly all good stuff, however I'm still glad I have my... "home-made" widescreen dvds of the original trilogy and 97 special edition.

7. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

One of my friends bought it and I watched it the other day. I was very disappointed. I don't think they should have "digitally re-mastered" it or what ever they did to it. They should have kept everything the same as it used to be except load it to a DVD. I don’t mind say; brightness and color effects, that makes the movie clearer and cleaner.

When they remade Jabba it made me a little angry, I know it looks newer and better on more realistic, but I enjoyed and still do enjoy, the original corny-ness of the effects. That’s one of the many things that made Star Wars movies such great movies. The movies were fine the way they were, why should they tamper with it. The original should have been left how it was, at least in my opinion.

The extra features and bonuses of the DVDs where a plus and were quite enjoyable. The re-makes are just not the same. I dono. But I still have the old tapes to enjoy, when the DVD isnt satisfying.

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Alright, it is a supposed "compromise" where they made it so they shoot closer to the same time as opposed to the original Special Edition version. With that one, Greedo's shot completes its point-blank-range-how-the-heck-could-you-miss-Han travel before Han responds (it's kind of funny how you can watch Han get moved in a real fake "dodge" in the original SE). The new edit has Han fire off two shots relatively in sync. I still think Greedo's was first by a few milliseconds though.

Yeah. I was hoping for something closer to the full-bodied one they used in Episode I for Jabba. Definite improvement over the original SE, though. I think the best improvement was the Han's tail stepping...they modified that a bit - although Jabba still shouldn't have let him get away with such disrespect ;).

I'd seen the original Star Wars teasers, but the ESB and ROTJ weren't bad. Interesting to see the original "Revenge of the Jedi" stuff, too. ^^

Ultimate suckage! :)

Bad enough that those two Ewok movies are headed for DVD...no terrible Wookiee Christmas, thanks.

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

It's Life Day, heathen! :p

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Quiet, poor boy. ;)

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Owned. :(

bloody character limit

12. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

the visible changes from the special edition of '97, all in one place with side by side shots :) You can see Han and Greedo's bolts, the real emperor in ESB, the new Jabba, etc.

The shot at the end of the second page sent me into a bit of a rage. YK, if you check it out, you'd better power up first.

Luke's going to look at that guy and be like who the heck is that smirking hippie?

After looking closer at him, his clothes, down to the folds are identical to the original. No way they could have matched the folds like that.. they must have photochopped Hayden's head in there! (and lowered the neckline slightly) Hahaha it's still Sebastian Shaw's body!

13. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

great link and observation MO! I didn't notice at first it's the same body, no wonder for me it looked horribly done when I saw it on dvd. Is it just me who liked the funky Ewok music in the original movie? I could hear the Ewoks playing and such.. and I forgot when I saw Naboo at the end.. that I wasn't watching the newer movies. I mean, in which order do we need to watch these movies now? :dizzy2: and I forgot how crappy Jabba's cg used to be.

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Just wait until Lucas decides to replace James Earl Jones' voiceovers for Vader with Christiansen's in all the movies...

But yeah, the shots clearly show that while Greedo fires closer in time with Solo, he still goes first, and misses a perfectly set up shot. I liked the original better, where he simply lost the quickdraw.

I've watched A New Hope and Empire so far this week, and plan to return to Return of the Jedi tonight. So far, I must admit I can live with all the changes. Surprisingly enough, Fett still works his lines (all four of them) well with that accent. The change that will be most difficult to adapt to for me will be the Emperor scene in ESB. The added dialogue and off-timing of the exchange between him and Vader did it.

15. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

If you mean which version is canon, the current DVD releases are canon. All prior versions are obsolete. Note that a re-release of Phantom Menace is coming soon, completely eliminating the puppet Yoda.

If you mean what order to, say, introduce a newbie to, I say do it like we did. OT first, then the Prequels.

16. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The way we always have! Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and then Return of the Jedi.

What? You mean to tell me there are other Star Wars movies? :p

17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yes; about 4 minutes of Phantom Menace and 10 of Attack of the Clones. The rest is disposable.

18. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Hate to double post, but today I FINALLY got my hands on the SW DVDs. I watched A New Hope, and here are my thoughts.

Good
    -surprisingly most of the changes aren't really objectionable. The Greedo scene was cleaned up significantly, as was Jabba. While I'm not a fan of Greedo shooting first, I'm willing to accept it now that it's done well... though part of me is tempted to go and edit SW so we have a "Star Wars: The Best Edition".
    -The visual and aural quality of the entire film is incredibly well done. I've seen more versions of Star Wars than I care to think about, from decade old rental tapes, to the early 90s Remastered Editions, to the 97 Special Edition, to DVD copies of both (which are basically just the laser disk editions on homemade DVD). When they say that they've cleaned up the film, they really mean it. I was really surprised.
    -A lot of CG has in general been touched up. This is good.
    -In the Death Star Council Room scene where Vader chokes Motti (IIRC), there is now a Grand Admiral (the guy in a white Imperial uniform). I'm glad to see the Expanded Universe brought a little closer.

Bad
    -In the first scene involving Lukes lightsaber on the Falcon, Im pretty sure it looked green. It's possible it was a trick of the light but it really bugged me since I'm sure it wasn't.
    -When C-3P0 is walking up a sand dune, for a brief moment we see what looks like a green matte box around him. Odd, but then Im specifically looking for niggles like these, so you may not notice it.

Other things
    -The dianoga eye has been redone in CGI. There are screencaps of it floating around the net, but they dont do it justice. As a still it sticks out a fair deal, but in motion it looks pretty good and was certainly acceptable.
    -The Alderaan destruction scene has been revamped. The planet explosion packs a lot more oomph this time around, and we can clearly see the planetary shield for a few frames before the planet pops, ending a lot of debates. I think the horizontal ring was either done away with or obscured by a lot of debris, which is fine by me.
    -There's a shot of a Sandcrawler going over some dunes done in CGI. I like it simply because the CGI is well done and the audio is fantastic.

So yes. Overall this film was restored marvelously and the only things I found to complain about weren't really that bad after all. Tomorrow I'm watching ESB and possibly ROTJ; reviews of those to come.

19. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Definately. They cleaned up things extremely well, and did color-lighting touchups. All of the lightsabers have been colored, too.

You mean Colonel Wullf Yularen? He's been there since the original release, and while he's got that nifty white uniform, he's no Grand Andmiral. ^^

Actually, watching the widescreen version really does open up the scenes and show a lot of things we didn't get to see in the cropped television cuts. There was actually one scene I always thought a character was talking to themself (can't remember the exact scene now), but it was actually a character that was off to the right of the viewable area.

Didn't see that, but saw that same trick elsewhere...Two of the TIE fighters in the "Escape from Death Star" shootout had the green matte box during one of their passes...

Finished watching the Empire of Dreams feature documentary on the bonus disc last night. It is an interesting watch, and Lucas' struggles were really something to be proud of triumphing over. I have more respect for him, now.

1 person likes this.
  20. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Really? Hmm. I should have noticed him since I've had access to widescreen dvds for over a year now. Was his uniform always white? Meh. That's odd though; aside from him and Grand Admirals there haven't been white officer uniforms.

Funny. On SB someone said that, yet nobody else, including myself, caught it. I guess that just goes to show you how well they hid most of them.

Still haven't gotten to watching ESB or ROTJ (today was a weird day with runs to the Beer Store, Diablo 2 installations, hot dog frenzies, and a forth-coming bash), nor have I even contemplated watching the documentary. Ah well, that's what Sunday is for.