Star Wars: The Expanded Universe

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Kaiyon, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Heard of it? Of course you probably have! Its how you know that the powerfull Tatooine suns make Ben Kenobi look so old. Its also what the Cartoon Network series Clone Wars was.
    The expanded universe is everything besides the movie. Sure there's a lot more to Mace Windu or Yoda than we know, but thats only on books nowadays.
    Heard of any good expanded universe tales? Well, Ive got one for you.

You know Darth Maul? Yes, Darth Maul. The guy Obi-Wan cut in half! That same guy who after loosing his bottom half fell down a shaft.
    Well, here's what you dont know. According to the Expanded Universe (or the Star Wars Visionaries book), Darth Maul somehow makes it back alive. Of course he still lost his bottom self, but he's replaced it with very good-looking mechanic waist and legs.
    And of course he's still got the double-bladed thing going on, but he took (not really) Dooku's twisted hilt and attached two of those together. He also grew some bigger horns and he's after Obi-Wan, or now known as Ben, and he wants revenge. Well, guess who wins the fight!

Know of any good expanded universe stories we'd like to hear about? Well post them here! Wether its for our knowledge of movie characters, or other characters like Marka Ragnos or Canderous Ordo.

- Kaiyon

1 person likes this.
  2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

The best EU section is without question the first Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. The Rogue Squadron series is pretty good too, along with I, Jedi. And of course, the Tales of the Jedi era is great (though I dislike how it's been renamed Knights of the Old Republic in order to cash in on the success of the game).

3. Seishin

Seishin Guest

This book was great. I just don't like how it ends up in the future, that even Wookies (like Lobacca) and Hutts (Something that looked like Jabba) are all jedi, or even know how to weild lightsabers. Seems that everyone that wants can be a Jedi, deppressing...

-Seishin

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

The cover art for the audio book version of Tales of the Jedi included a backdrop of hands holding up lightsabers. One was a tentacle.

There's nothing saying wookies or hutts can't be jedi.

5. Orion

Orion Gears

I still don't get why Hutts can be Jedi. I mean, they are big fat slugs that just kinda sit there or boss people around. Think of Jabba vs. Darth Maul! I mean, Maul wouldn't even have to move, he'd just kinda cut him in half, easily. Somone explain how Hutt's can even QUALIFY to be Jedi to me please.

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Not all Jedi are warriors. Some are basically negotiators.

7. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Could you say a bit more please? I wonder what you said that too. I'm not too much into the Starwars universe but I thought that a jedi apprentice needs to build his own lightsaber in order to become a jedi. What else would it be for? For fighting!

Also, warriors can be negotiators (Obi Wan and his master Qui Gon in Episode I). Making jedis that cannot fight is just a waste, really.

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yeah, a lightsaber is built as an apprentice but it's not the only weapon a Jedi has (force powers). Presumably smaller hutts are much more manueverable than Jabba in ROTJ. As a negotiator a hutt would be a good choice; they tend to be very slippery in that regard.

Then of course there's the force, which could make up for the less-impressive speed of a hutt.

Furthermore there are jedi specifically designated as negotiating types, who use a lightsaber as an absolutely last resort.

9. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

That's true, the force can increase greatly the physical abilities and such, but still, I can't imagine a Hutt doing that :sweat: . How much could it help the Hutt?

Fighting is always the last resort for all jedis. You can say that every jedi is a negotiator then. But, again, where did you know all that? That there are negotiating type jedis too? Those rules do not apply to the Debate forum only :p

10. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Well, Jedis are known as the keepers of the peace. To make this peace they usually negotiate good (Like on Episode I) or go to "agressive negotiations" (Episode II). But they will do what they can to keep the peace. But on this book, it looks like they're more worried about staying alive....

-Seishin

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

The three classes of Jedi are covered in quite a few areas, the most dominant of them being the D20 RPG and Knights of the Old Republic.

12. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Right! I believe the three main branches were the Jedi Guardian (Focus on fighting techniques), Jedi Sentinel (Focus on various techniques) and the Jedi Consulars (Ussually use the Force as their main weapon).

The different classes of Jedi used to determine the color of the Jedi's lightsaber blade. I believe green was Guardian, blue was Consular and purple (and very rare) was the Sentinel.
    Then again, those were the three main ones. I know there's quite a handfull of them.

- Kaiyon

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yellow. Not purple.

Edit: Just remembered that in Tales of the Jedi, there's a master who is not unlike an armoured cow. At least Hutts have hands.

14. Seishin

Seishin Guest

True, because Mace Windu doesn't use his Force powers that much. I find it odd though that only four kinds of sabers are shown on the whole Star Wars Saga: Purple (only Mace Windu), Green, Blue, and Red.

I like it much better on KOTOR because they give you much more choices, and tell you what each color means. The only ones i can remember though are Blue (Jedi Counsular) and obviously Red (Kinda obvious eh?)

-Seishin

15. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Hn, is that what it was? I always thought the lightsabers worked in this way:

Blue: Padawan
    Green: Jedi Knight/Master
    Red: Sith
    Purple: Mace Windu :p

For one thing, Obi Wan's lightsaber was blue in Episode 1, when he was Qui-Gon's Padawan, and green in Episode 2, when he was a full Jedi Knight.

And then Anakin's was blue in Episode II, as Obi-Wan's padawan and he later uses a red lightsaber when he becomes Darth Vader.

Maybe it works differently in the movies than in the rest? I dunno.

16. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

So when Obi-wan was using blue in Episode 3 and Episode 4... ;)

There are many different types of colours lightsabers can be (as per Jedi Knight) but odds are most of the other colours are generated by extremely rare gems. For example, in KOTOR you can purchase two gems (one 24,000 credits, another 20,000) that give unique colours and alter the properties of the other crystals in your saber.

17. Reisti Skalchaste

I haven't seen 3 before, and 4 I haven't seen in a long time. I've forgotten.

So wait. Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple. And we all know that you get purple light by mixing blue and red light.

And since red is Sith...

18. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Uh, Shinryu, he just had the lone purple crystal. KOTOR shows that purple crystals exist.

19. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Ohh....so you were reffering to crystals such as the dreaded Kaiburr Crystal right?
    I think Luke uses it to power up his lightsaber after finding it.
    But I think color crystals are probably just the class. And maybe on the movies they didnt need the feel to go over as many.

But anyways, Color Crystal and Focusing Crystal are two totally different things.

In KOTOR II however, new parts are introduced. Such as the Focusing Lens, The Emitter and the Energy Cell. All the essential parts to an old fashioned saber.

- Kaiyon

20. Reisti Skalchaste

I see.

I'm still very much a newbie in Star Wars.

Anyway it was just a stupid joke.