Computers Strange/incredible ways you've use your game system

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nightraid, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Nightraid

Nightraid New Member

Hey, umm... I know that since it says "game system" in the title, most people would asume it would belong in the game forum, but since my story has so much to do withc programming and technology, I believe it belongs here. Anyway, I had just recently read the book Lord of the Flies in my literature class, and as our assignment, we had to make something "creative" about it. Our professor didn't tell us what to make exactly, he just said "creative". Anyway, 2 other guys and I formed a group, and we made a music video using Adobe Premier, Photoshop and several JPEG images we found along the web. It consisted of 4 songs; Pachelbel's Kanon, Hell's March from C&C Red Alert, Styx' Renegade and Peter Paul and Marys' Don't laugh at me. We spent 2 all nighters on it, but at the very end, when the music video was done and complete, my friend Dave, who's very "L33T", tried to burn it as a DVD, but it didn't work. We couldn't use Adobe to create video files compatible with DVD players. So, we got another idea. My friend is a member of a ragtag group of Dreamcast Hackers. They do things like port games, reprogram them, translate them just for the hell of it, so ofcourse, Dave knew the basic programing structure used for Dreamcast games. Here's the strange thing. After several hours of programming and reprogramming, we managed to create a Dreamcast disc, with our movie on it. So, the next week, we actually brought a Dreamcast to school. We certainly turned a lot of heads. Anyway, we hooked it up to a big screen and played our movie, got an A, and that's my heroing tale for our incredible use of a videogame system. Anybody here ever used a game system in a strange/incredible way?

2. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Well, I had my 233 set up in my car with an amp, power inverter, and a keyboard and mini-lcd run to the front of the car, playing 8 gigs worth of mp3 happyness... I used to use the 233 all the time for Starcraft, so I think it counts as a game system.

- Ark

3. Kairo

Kairo New Member

Hmm..interesting story Nightraid. Sounds like your group of dreamcast 'hacker' buddies just compressed your adobe premier work to mpeg and burnt it onto vcd.

All you need then is some vcd player software for dreamcast. What he burnt to was most likely a regular disc.

What confuses me is the whole burning to dvd process you spoke of. Any dvd rom would be able to hold your movie files unless they were extremely large. They could then be played on any computer system with a dvd drive.

Anyway, strange or incredible ways you've use your game system?

Well..I once used my Gameboy as a projectile weapon.

Stupid cat dodged it tho. ;)

4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

might not have used the right software or converted it to the right file. prolly a simple thing like that.
    but that's awesome. i would never be able to figure something like that out(how to reprogram the dc) lol

5. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

ROFL Exiz! You truly are my hero.

One time i used an old Game boy pocket to stop my cousins form coming into my room...i just kinda used it as a door wedge :p

I record music from my PSX to my comp sometimes, too. Nifty crap, it is it is...

Still trying to turn an nintendo into a toaster though.

6. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Well, you see PS2 disks have guards against being burned, and videocassettes have guards against being taped.

I've gotten around that by taping my PS2 game movie scenes onto a cassette! Obsessive? You decide.

I also used my PSone as a doorstop. Oh! And as a paperweight.