Tech Hubs in Tokyo: Incubators and Co-Working Spaces

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Cloud, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Because I'm working with others on developing a downtown tech hub in Galway, I was interested in visiting a few of the Tokyo tech hubs while here.

I found a great map that shows many of the Tokyo tech hubs, and I extracted the names and web addresses of these hubs from the map (incubators, accelerators, co-working spaces, etc.) - plus one or two more - for the list at the end of this post.

I met up with some Irish guys yesterday for what we called a "hub crawl".

We first went to a tech hub called Digital Garage. It was pretty impressive: their incubator is called Open Network Space, and I found out that Joi Ito (whom I remember from my Web 2.0 days, he is now director of MIT Media Lab) was a co-founder.

They have also invested in Twitter, Betaworks, and other cool companies.

Some pics are here:

18963636180_9597063083_z.jpg
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=62377636@N00&tags=onlab

We then went to Impact HUB Tokyo, part of a global network of Impact HUBs, and set up by a woman called Shino Tsuchiya who was inspired by her time at Impact HUB Westminister.

That was cool too – great kitchen/community space, fantastic co-working area, and a very interesting toilet!

Some more pics are here:

19154598451_7e1ff2df7e_z.jpg
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=62377636@N00&tags=hubtokyo

Lots of pentagonal / hexagonal tables in both spaces – good for working around and the hexes can be connected together into interesting and useful collaborative shapes.

DSC01190.jpg

After some fantastic sushi (om nyom) near Ebisu, we went back to HUB Tokyo for an event called FuckUp Nights Tokyo (all about lessons in failure from startup entrepreneurs; one was actually held in Dublin last night too).

IMG_20150625_193827.jpg

Three entrepreneurs told us of their epic fail stories, and one of them with some brave honesty showed us his bank account statement at the beginning and the end of a year in operation, during which he blew some $300k+. Another told us of a deal worth €125M that went south.

I really enjoyed our hub crawl and hope to visit some more tech hubs in Tokyo soon.

Here's the aforementioned list of tech hubs in Tokyo:

(And here's another useful list of startup incubators, in Japanese.)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Found a cool tool called Mosaic Maker that allows you to create mosaics of albums, so here are some mosaics of...

HUB Tokyo

hubtokyo.jpg

...and...

Open Network Space

onlab.jpg