Debate Technocracy/Energy based economies - Viable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nephilim_X, May 25, 2004.

1. Megami-Chan

Megami-Chan New Member

The problem is, a rarity-type system works. I mean, would you cost a 1-pound diamond at the same price as a 1-pound piece of grantie, if they were both taken in the exact same manner?

Another problem lies in what you said yourself: How can we get an economy to change itself so radically? Since, it would be impractical to use this as a startup economy for a country: it has a greater chance of failure than a normal economy, since normal economies have been proven to work, while a technocratic economy has not been.

The only way to definitively prove an ideas sucess is to put it to the test. And, for the reasons as the above, we cannot. We will not sink a country into ruin just for the sake of experimentation.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Did they cost the same amount of energy to find and mine? Or did the diamond take a lot more searching and careful mining?

I already conceded that point in post #1. ;)

'Course not. We'll let other countries do the experimenting for us. Soviet Russia failed, but Red China isn't doing too bad for itself at all...

3. Megami-Chan

Megami-Chan New Member

And that again begs the question. How do you define the amount of energy being used? How do you measure the energy of "Searching" in watts? It just isn't possible. Or, if it is, it's not economically viable.

I was talking about post one. How can you support an idea that you yourself admit is so hideously flawed?

The idea isn't widely spread enough, so unless we go force this economy upon a country, it's never going to happen. Or, if not never, at least not in the near future. The idea doesn't have enough support to be tested, and if it's not tested, we can't use it.

2 people like this.
  4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ever hear of playing Devils Advocate?

5. Megami-Chan

Megami-Chan New Member

Yeah, that's true. Okay, you're right, I overlooked that. Good job.

Now, comment on my other points.

Really, I'm enjoying debate with you. I haven't had debate with someone this good at it in a while.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Currently diamons are mined, with a lot of searching done by hand, no? Well, take the energy cost of maintaining a camp of miners and I suppose average the time spent with the diamonds found. I admit I'm not too clear on this point.

*shrugs* Doesn't have to be in the near future.