Saber Marionette Terra II COULD have made women!

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Consider this:

A males chromosomes are made of= XY

A female is made of= XX

Now, the only thing that seperates us blokes from women is the Y chromosome, which in the fetal stage incites the child to develop male characteristics.

In fact, some women are born with only one X chromosome, and a blank chromosome. They can never hope to have children of their own. This is due to defective sperms/eggs during the firtilizing stage. However, due to the lack of a Y chromosome, they are still nominally and structually women.

In short, as the X chromosome is present in ALL humans, male or otherwise, all the Terra 2 men needed to do back then was combine two X chromosomes, independent of the Y, breed it within a blank cell...

... and presto, one artificial woman.

Considering that they had technology that allowed clones with varied characteristics and yet descend from one man, this would not be too far fetched.

... but his oversight sure made a great series!! :anime:

My thanks to "Ronin Aquila" who originally posted this on another forum.

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I don't really think it was an oversight at all. It was a plot device. Perhaps Terra-II's technology only allowed them to manipulate the Y chromosome. After all, wasn't there more than one male to take it from? Thus, there were possibilites of having multiple characteristics, by molding them from the males present on Terra-II.

However, only Lorelei had a full set of XX chromosomes. Thus, they'd only be able to make her. Which is *still* partially wrong, because the male's X chromosome will have differing characteristics as well.

Still, it's a plot device. Not an oversight. If they had included trying to explain why they wouldn't be able to clone women...there wouldn't be an SMJ series.

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Perhaps they tried but for whatever reason could not make women correctly. Seems a logical conclusion.

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It's stated numerous times throughout the series that despite their attempts they were unable to create a woman. Taking a look at the level of Terra II's technology, I don't think they would have overlooked the XX method approach. If it had worked that simple, they most certainly wouldn't have spent so much time and effort with marionettes and maiden circuits.

Nevertheless, the "chromosome arguement" (or "the ol' one-two" as I call it) frequently gets in the way of many intelligent viewers who insist on believability in the ficitional animation they watch.

5. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Perhaps their genetic software had a "bug" that prevented the X chromosome from being sequenced accurately?

6. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

maybe they just said it wasnt possible as an excuse because they didnt wanna deal with raging female hormones :p

7. Reisti Skalchaste

LOL, regardless, anyway, he made one hell of a great series. But we all know that.

Who knows, maybe they did try, but ended up with misshapen, half-gendered people, instead of females. That seems the logical (though kinda gross) conclusion to me.

8. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Old news. This have been discussed many times (Even here once, I think)

Some people say that's because Terra II's plasma atmosphere does not allow to play with cromosomes.

Another reason could be that at least one of the first men in Terra II made a sabotage to prevent the rebirth of women :p.

9. Reisti Skalchaste

I don't see why they would, though. I mean, I thought all six of them were wanting to get females back. (Besides, who could it have been?)

And if the atmosphere of Terra II didn't allow it, then how were they able to make men with different characteristics? They still have to play with chromosomes to change the DNA of men, so why wouldn't said atmosphere mess with that as well?

I don't think this was discussed, not here, at least. But I know that it has been talked about before. (I got it from another forum, remember? The thread was, like, 2 years old)

10. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

I'm quite sure I've read it here. Even it's in Twilight too.

Do you remember Dark Phoenix's fanfic 'Human'? Not all men liked women, specially one who cared for the special girls (Not marionettes). Who knows if there was one gay there :D?

You know, I really can't find a good reason to men in Terra II couldn't recreate a single woman. But without that the series wouldn't be the same, right?

Viva Akahori-sama!

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Clearly there was some difficulty creating women. That and with only 6 genetic codes to work with, in-breeding might have been a big issue. I know they aren't perfect clones most of the time but that's still a very small cross section.

We don't have full details on cloning tech, but the reason they had no women must have been one of the following.
    -Mechanical reason. Their cloning devices, either through damage sustained or due to being relatively primitive, could not produce women with any sort of success.
    -Biological reason, such as natural breeding causing too many problems (enough similarity in genes to cause inbreeding? Natural born babies from clones not healthy for some reason?). Perhaps clones are sterile in the SMJ-verse.
    -Technical reason. Perhaps the cloning devices needed a basic template to work with and required an XY setup.

I doubt the atmosphere would be the problem. If anyone else can think of something, speak up.

12. Reisti Skalchaste

But then, what was the point of cloning Lorelei after they recued her? Clones are sterile, right? I don't think this is the case.

Links, please? I don't remember reading a single thing like that here, and I read through the whole SMJ forum. Twilight, you know I can't read most of the topics there. :sweat:

Still, whatever the reason, be it technical oversight on Akahori-sama's part, or technology failures in the series, or whatever, we should be glad. Because, even if it were a simple oversight, it created SMJ, and that's what's important.

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

You're talking to someone who has seen all of 9 episodes of SMJ.

14. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

That seems probable. It's at most 10 generations (one generation starting every 30 years, more or less) for the population to be heterogenous enough. So far all reproduction has been asexual - and I don't mean simply no sex - but no genetic interchange between couples.

Maybe they had to wait 100 or 200 years for the population to achieve a "safety threshold" to produce women - but then the knowledge was lost.

Now, who's the one who will do the research necessary to clone women? Given the limited resources, it's logical to expect that there is only ONE cloning facility for each city. Who would DARE tamper with it? Even if it required a very minor tweaking to produce women, someone had to know how.

And that someone was Lorelei. I find it curious, did she have to be a scientist? Couldn't she be an average woman? Why did it have to be HER who produced the female clones?

So I'm for the "Lost knowledge" theory regarding human females.