Neon Genesis Evangelion The Evangelion manga

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Kaneda_345, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Kaneda_345

Kaneda_345 The Star Stealing Boy

Basically this is a retelling of the story.They follow the same basic story,just with differences.(One major diffrence is the fact that most of the Angels are omitted from the story)The story is told more from Shinjis point of view.Other than that its the same.(I dont want to spoil it,so I cant say much about the story)

So far the manga series of Evangelion is at volume 6.

Anyone else read it?Thoughts/Opinions

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I heard that it can be a lot different from the anime. People have slightly differing personalities, and everything.

Scenes are portrayed different too. So, it's the same, but different. Truth is, Anno didn't do the manga, rather, it is done by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto who made to move Eva in his direction rather than keeping FULLY in Anno's. So...there's the story. I hope it wasn't too confusing for me to tell it, because I've only read a couple chapters (i.e. ONE, a long while back) of it. I've included a noted difference that most people point out to splort the differences between manga and anime...and have thus contained it in a spoiler.

*******************************SPOIL********************************

Shinji meets Asuka in an arcade instead on board a US Military battlecruiser. And he only SEES the sea fight on tape, rather than being in 02 with her. Asuka also flirts with Shinji upon her grand entrance to Tokyo-3 high. Also, Shinji seems to have more of a spine in the manga.

*********************************eRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*************************

3. Kaneda_345

I wonder if End of Evangelion will be made in manga form.Im willing to bet there would be many changes made to that.

(Im guessing the manga will use the shows ending instead of EoE)

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

*******SPOILERS INHERENT******

To be honest, I'm kinda hopin' that Sadamoto goes and does what the final episode was MEANT to be...touching on every main character (read: Gendo, Rei, Asuka, Misato, Shinji, in that order) and their pysche. As it was, the TV ending only touches mainly on Rei, Asuka, and Shinji...though Anno was heard commenting that Misato was actually the secondary lead.

As much as I loved EoE...I really did like the TV ending better. If only because they dissected the id, ego, and hehe...libido...of a few of the characters.

5. Odin

Odin Member

I've been reading the Eva manga, and as of now I prefer it to the anime in terms of the characters. I think that, though some of the character personalities are a bit different (especially Rei, who's a bit more sociable though still very quiet) I think they're better developed. When it comes to action sequences, however, the anime takes the cake.

I really can't wait to see how the manga's going to finish.

I don't even consider myself a big Eva fan, since I didn't like and totally disagreed with Anno's apocalyptic vision in End of Evangelion, but overall I think the anime series before EoE is okay.
    -Odin

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Disagree all you want with Anno on the ending, it's been publicly told that he hated ending it that way as well. ;) Anno actually wanted Eva to end right at 26, but fans demanded an ending that included the Eva units...so he was pretty much forced into EoE...bastards. A great movie and all...but still, the anime ending was much more.

Sadamoto also wrote that the manga will deal with more character depth than ultimate conspiraces and such.

**SIGH** I guess no one reads my posts about Eva at all.

7. Odin

Odin Member

I'm very aware of the theory (which may be fact, but I've heard another story, so I'm going to call it a theory for now) that demanding fans caused Anno to make EoE, which was deliberately done to shock as it did.

However, I heard another "theory" that EoE is the true and intended ending that Anno had in mind all along but he *could not produce on television* due to time, budget, and censorship issues.

Which "theory" is true? They conflict! The second one I read from a review by Christian Nutt [who is a rabid Eva fan], at an anime site called "Anime Jump."

BTW, I'm glad Sadamoto is going to deal more with the characters of Eva than . . . well . . . the alternative [I don't want to spoil any of Eva for those that haven't watched the movie].
    -Odin

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I feel the 'theory' of being forced to do EoE was right.

As for its disturbing ending, that was his way of saying "Ok, you want an ending with the Units, ok, but you're not gonna like it any more than me!!!"

9. Odin

Odin Member

That was the original thing I heard before I saw the movie, but the conflicting theory has made me wonder . . .

Does anyone have actual proof or sources that would point to the correct one?

Either way, it doesn't change what was done.

But back on topic to the manga - I hope that there aren't many more long "pauses" in its distribution in America, and I don't remember why they occurred. Was Sadamoto just too busy with other projects or something?
    -Odin

10. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

Izzy's right on this one.

Just as an example:

According to the commentary, some of the stuff that flashes on screen (can't remember when it does), is some of the hate mail Anno recieved after the series was complete, basically forcing him to release End Of Evangelion.

I believe the extremity of the movie was a way to get back of the fans. The fans got everything they said they wanted, but after seeing it, it was too much for some of them.

CiarĂ¡n

11. i've seen vol.6 to i hope Toji lives...but my fav is vol.3

12. Still Awaiting on Issue Six

Is there any more planned after Book Six. I haven't heard of anything ?

I thought that the way the characters were 'enhanced' by the re-telling was very well done.

I think the Shinji in the Manga has a lot more depth to him and I love the additional Auska/Shinji Fights.

13. Odin

Odin Member

There are definitely more comics after book six. The latest issue I have is #6 of book seven.
    -Odin

14. Kaneda_345

That could of used a spoiler label.

Yeah,I just saw the comics a couple days ago,I had no idea it was being released in that form first.No wonder why #7 is taking so long!:sweat:

15. Eartz

Eartz New Member

The manga is great... I've only read the first 3 novels but I can already see that it is a bit deeper than the anime. Mr. Sadamoto has done an excelent job of telling the story--I cant wait to read the rest.

16. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

Deeper than the anime? I'd find that hard to believe, in all fairness.

Anyone else agree?

17. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

wat came first, the anime or the manga?

18. Eartz

Eartz New Member

Oddly enough, the anime came out first. Then the character designer, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto decided to draw the manga....

19. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

"Oddly enough"? The manga is a retelling from the characters view, it wouldn't make sense for that to come out first.

20. Rosemary

Rosemary New Member

I think in terms of odd, it is odd since usually a manga comes first then the anime.

I have been reading the manga, have read up to 4 and for once I am not sure which I like better(I usually prefer mangas over anime) but I do like that Shinji is a bit stronger/has more of a spine in the manga.