Movies The Grudge

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Nephilim_X, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Just saw this American revamp of Ju-On.

Scared the hell out of me. For the record, I am not normally one to be unnerved by a movie, let alone actually shout "AH!" in a theater.

2 people like this.
  2. Dante

Dante New Member

At first, I was a bit hesitant about this movie for the mere fact that it had Sarah Michelle Gellar in it, though the more I found out about it (and the fact that I read Sam Raimi's name in the credits and as well as I believe Bill Pullman is in it), the more I changed my mind. Currently the number one next movie to see on my list.

2 people like this.
  3. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Ergh, for starters, why can't hollywood keep their hands off remakes? Hell, Dark Water is going to be remaked.

Anyhow, I have seen both Ju-On the Grudge, and the Grudge 2 (Japanese versions ofc). Yep, I agree with you Neph, it's scared the **** out of me. I saw it when I was in China, and man, I thought this movie was medicore...guess I was totally wrong.
    Great movie, gonna buy both DVDs, and there is no way for me to watch the remake.

- Teddz

1 person likes this.
  4. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I just saw it yesterday...

I'd like to boast and say..."Ha ha ha, I laugh in the face of danger..."

But to be truthful, I don't want to see any of my Asian friends' little brothers for a while...

The creepiest things about this movie were the way that the computer graphics were interlaced with the real people, and the sound effects. A boy meowing like a cat? That creepy noise? I can make that noise..so it's just really creepy when it's put into a movie.

Japanese horror films and their remakes are basically the only sorts of horror movies that have scared me to date. I've only seen the remake, but damn...

I didn't cry out, but I was practically trying to become part of the chair in the theater XD.

--MT

PS: The person I went to the theater with wet herself.

1 person likes this.
  5. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

I saw it Friday, it was amazing. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, but I did scream a couple times. It was definitely creepy. And that croaking noise the dead girl makes, I can do that!
    However, I thought Toshio (meowing boy) was ADORABLE! I want to adopt that kid! I really do!

1 person likes this.
  6. Circe Yami

Circe Yami New Member

I love that movie it may not have been that scary but it was sure as hell creepy, and that meow that boy made I can do the exact same thing with the same face.

7. Caylee

Caylee New Member

i gotta agree with Circe Yami...that movie was creepy. Normally I'm not the type to get startled so easily, but I swear, throughout the movie my whole body was so tense with fear. well, it wasn't horrorifying scary, just really really creepy. ahhhh!! her eyes are still haunting me yikes

8. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

I've seen the original part one called Juon, skipped part two, then saw the higher budget Juon: The Grudge (Japanese version), but haven't seen the American version yet. My friend said that critics gave the American version a lower grade than the newest Japanese version, but of course who would trust critics who give something like Kill Bill a D-? I'll see the American version sometime... I'm pretty sure they improved on all the mistakes that the Japanese versions had.

The original Juon 1 was pretty creepy too, cuz of the amateur feel of the camera, the lack of background music, having spooky things happen in broad daylight for a change, etc. I also liked the part where Chiaki Kuriyama gets frightened out of her mind!

1 person likes this.
  9. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

I was somewhat disapointed in the movie when I saw it, for the scary factor. Same reaction that I had when I saw The Ring.

The grudge wasnt as scary as I thought it would be. It was extremly creepy though. I have heard that the japanese versions are better. I watched the japanese pof the Ring and thought it was better. Aren't they directed by the same person??

The whole asian kid meowing, wierded me out. I did not like that Sarah Michelle Gellar was in it, but the plot of the movie made up of for it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I rented JU-ON today and saw it. Wow, the effects weren't as good, but if anything, it only made the movie better...It was so creepy! It has a big creep-out factor, and it's genuinely scary.

Your bed is considered a safe place, you know? Well, what happens when you're not even safe there?

Watching Ju-On also cleared up a few things, like why that weird noise that everyone can make with their mouth is in the movie.

--MT

11. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

Me and a friend whent to go see this movie. I didn't find it as good as I thought it would be. It really wasn't scary, it was more suprising. I thought the bed part was really freaky.
    People in the movie theater all were sceaming. My friend about died. The noise was a little creepy to, I started doing it after the movie and one of the people from my school starting running down the hall to the doors.
    The story was good, but at the begging it was hard to tell what was going on. I thought there should have been more to the movie tho. The ending was funny. I didn't think Sarah would do that good, she did so/so performance.
    The catboy was very creepy, I starting laughing when he started meeowing and that guy was looking out the window for the cat. I would have gave the movie a B+.

12. jakotsu chan

jakotsu chan Nevermore!

That movie scraed me s***less. Plus to top it all of one of my friends, being the meanie he is called me up late at night and made that weird noise, now THAT scared me, it was a prety good movie though.

13. kikyoulvr4eva

kikyoulvr4eva Want a cookie?

I went to see that movie. It wasn't scary though, mostly suprising like KaYasha explained. I want to see it again for some odd reason. I remember trying to call my friend and make that noise. They said they'd kill me.

I want to see the Japanese version. My cousin said it would be more scary. (he got that from his friends.)

14. Black Nyoko

Black Nyoko New Member

I saw the American version not too long ago with a friend.
    Both of us agreed that the movie was not really scary, but it
    did make you wonder alittle......... Anyways i would like to
    watch the Japanese versions and make my own comparisons
    of the two.

15. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

saw the movie two weeks ago...dark...dark.... haaaaaaaaaaaaaa (attack of panic). :p
    the film was great, but scary... still remember those eyes watching me o_O...
    creppy stuff... now i wont sleep at night again, damm it... :dizzy2: