Movies the matrix hoax

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tanuki, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

ok. i've gotta get this off my chest. (no boys, not them:p )
    after watching the animatrix, i got to thinking about all the things that the matrix stole from anime's. here's what i found.

One of the major scenes in the matrix is the shoot-up scene in the lobby between the pillars.
    The final scene of ghost in the shell is exactly the same.

Ghost in the shell starts with motoko, assassinating an asylum seeker by shooting through the window of a skyscraper from outside.
    In the Matrix. they assassinate agents by shooting them through the window of a highrise from outside.

people in the matrix are connected to computers via a connection that's shoved into the back of the neck. Tyhey can use this to download info.
    exactly the same as cyborgs in ghost in the shell. only in ghost they have 4 small connections.

heaps of anime takes place in 'neo' tokyo, ie post appocolyptic.
    the matrix is also post appocolypic. and the main character calls himself Neo...

They possess special abilities in the matrix that allows them to run fast and jump long and high.
    so do the cyborgs in ghost in the shell, and the super humans in Blackjack.

The theme of what is a dream and what is a reality is the same as in Perfect Blue. 'this blood Roomie, is it real?' (only they did it better.)

The whole sperate reality through computers. The same as in Lain.

The cinematography where they pause big scenes, and then pan around them. This is in just about every action anime there is.

neo is grabbed by a colony worker droid by the throat. as is motoko on ghost in the shell by the spider tank.
    both are stark naked and wet....

both motoko and neo die, but come back to life.

the whole building robots that then overpower the humans in a war and dominate the world. Although not an anime, isn't this just the terminator?

the fight scenes.... bruce lee, jackie chan, samurai an ninja anime's.

once you take all the stuff out of the matrix that wasn't their idea, for a groundbreaking anime, there isn't too much left.
    nothing in point of fact bar a weak *** plot a bit of mecha design and special effects. and i actually quite liked the movie when i first saw it.

sorry about the length of this post. can anyone think of anything i've forgotton?

2. Candycane23

Candycane23 Guest

I have to really disagree on this!

Well The Matrix all 3 movies is sort of like a real life action anime. And i think it's kinda of neat that when you go see something just like a anime but with out the huge eyes and black lines around every character.

I have never Ghost in the Shell but plan to and I think it might have been just a convinidence.

"NEO" Means new and Neo Tokyo and all that stuff have nothing to do with his name.

The die and reborn thing happens in alomst every anime not just Ghost in the Shell.

The action scene and robot scnes happen in alomost every action anime with mecha or no mecha.

And I DO think hte Matrix was The W Brother's Idea!

OVER AND OUT!

3. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i think you really have to see ghost in the shell before you can say that:D .
    this link has a comparison as well, but uses pics from the movies. Might convince you more.;) http://www.geocities.com/tacobelll/matrixgits/page8.html
    way too much in the matrix to all be coincidence. especially since the writers were unheard of, and huge anime fans....and decided to create the movie after seeing ghost in the shell.

i know neo means new. and thats what doesn't make sense. Why would an american hacker use the japanese word for new?. unless they were making a reference to anime.

more the way in which it occurs.

huh?

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Poom, there's a really hard line to cross if you like watching stuff. Everything slowly becomes monotony. Since you watch a lot of anime, then you'll see the similarities. Hell, for all I know, that's where the Waichowsky brothers saw all the inspiration for the Matrix. Hell, you can SEE that in the Animatrix "The Second Renaissance" episodes, that the Brothers drew heavily on events like Tienemen Square and the Holocaust to capture the story of the Matrix, which conversely tells the story again of the segregation and the hate.

Granted, a lot of the stuff you see in the Matrix you see in a lot of anime. Why? Because it works. You can even make out "The King and I" to be a wierd spin-off of Tarzan, where Yule Brenner would be Tarzan, a king of his own Siam Jungle, and the teacher being Jane, to tame him. It's just the way it is. There's heavy influences everywhere. Like, there'd be no simpsons if there weren't no Jetsons, which was spawned as a spin-off of the Flintstones...which coincidentally spun off of the Honeymooners.

The more you look, Poom, the more you see. Heck, instead of GitS, why not compare it to Akira. I'd see some similarities in that too. You can also look at any "One Warrior" anime or movie or series or book or whatever. It's all the same basic context: One hero will win it all.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just saying you might enjoy it more if you weren't so BLATANTLY critical about it. Don't compare every detail and knick-nack about it. It'll only make you like everything else less. It's hard to be original when it seems like everything's already been done.

5. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i'm not trying to be totally critical of it. Hell, i never really analyse what i watch.Unless it really was something interesting and different. Which is what all these were. As i said, i really did like it. it's just i've never noticed before how much it took from anime. i can't really think of any other live action movie that has taken it's influces from anime so much. The other way around, yes. happens lots. But generally theres a stigma in the west that live action movies are superior to anime. and that only geeks and kids can find anything of interest in them.
    I think if these people saw any of these anime's they either wouldn't notice the similarities, or think that they were taken from the matrix.
    i find it intersting that the matrix can gain such praise for innovation, when what they have done has been done before. with little recognition.
    it just seems to show how little recognised even the most famous anime's are in the west.

the king and i will never be the same again.:p
    very true though. i get what you're saying.

6. Dozer

Dozer New Member

Well i thought that the Animatrix was awesome. It tells albout what happend with all of the machines takeing over and stuff.

7. shohen

shohen New Member

Maybe the anime stole all that stuff from the matrix
    and you have to resealise theres alot of stuff stolen from the matrix.

8. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

this is exactly what i'm talking about....
    prosecution rests.

9. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Most of that stuff you mentioned wasn't original when it was in Ghost in the Shell either.
    Neither GITS or the matrix would exist if it weren't for William Gibson, Phillip K. **** etc. and you can even trace their writings to earlier influences

The Matrix borrows heavily from Asian cinema and of course a whole host of other influences.
    Everyone knows this, they don't try to hide it.

Movies(aswell as books, comics, TV etc) today are made up of a collection of influences. Everyone is influenced by what they see and the things thay like.
    If you were to make a movie, it would no doubt be influenced by anime or what ever your into.

An awful lot of american movies that are considered hugely original and revolutionary were influenced and borrow a lot from what europian cinema was doing long before hollywood.

And believe it or not even anime has roots in Disney animation.

Edit : Oh for gods sake I can't even say Phillip K. D i c k

10. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Okay so The Matrix borrowed ideas from Ghost in the Shell (which I've seen years ago and thought was a lil above average). But aside from those, I think this is all getting a lil exaggerated.

You can't say that The Matrix "stole" or "borrowed" things from anime when anime itself took ideas from other sources. For example, martial arts...I can't believe you think The Matrix stole that from anime! The shootout between pillars...that's been done lots of times, in live action! I wouldn't credit that to anime.

And all those sci-fi themes, like reality VS dream, super abilities (running fast, jumping high), humans dominated by robots, post-apocalypticism, integrating human minds with hardware......those things aren't from anime, they're from science fiction! Some of those themes have been around for over a hundred years!

Other stuff, like freezing an action shot then panning around it, really is revolutionary. You say that nearly every action anime has it? Then name at least 10 animes that have it. From nearly eight years of watching anime, I've hardly ever saw it, if I even did. (Furthermore, it's probably only been done in the past few years with the help of CG effects.) In any case, The Matrix is probably the first live action to have it.

Finally, "Neo" is not a Japanese word! It's a Greek prefix! (Examples: neophyte, neofascism, neopagan.)

But I see your point....you think that there's not much that's original in The Matrix. Probably cuz you're nitpicking it too much. If you people think stripping down The Matrix of its borrowed elements makes it look unoriginal, try stripping down the dozens and dozens of cliche animes out there! Or even normal movies!

11. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i'm only saying this about the matrix because it's suppose to be groundbreaking. which i don't believe to be true. Other movies borrow and steal i know. But the truely groundbreaking films like citizen kane, rear window, appocolypse now, etc, all brought something new to the table that was then copied by others.. Combining the best elements of a range of films still insn't groundbreaking.

very, true. i was just using anime as an example because logically people here would get my point easier.

i'm thinking samurai x for a start. and patlabor does it as well.
    never as pronouced yes, but there all the same.
    placing it in a live action movie isn't that great i don't think, because it reperesents a technological feat. no more. (besides. i don't really think of anime as being thatr different from live action by nature.:D )

whoops:D

12. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I saw Ghost in the Shell before I saw the first Matrix, none of the stuff you said really "clicked" with me. However, I did see one part that can easily be interchanged with both of these. The scene were Motoko jumps up the side of a apartment building and lands, crouched over in a post is almost exactly the same way Morpheous (spelling is probably off) landed when he jumped across two skyscrapers infront of Neo. After that, I noticed more subtile similarities, but nothing like the stuff you put up poom-poom (not that i'm disagreeing with you or anything).

So Matrix took stuff from some animes, and those animes took stuff from other animes, who took stuff from somewhere else. Everyone takes from everyone. Some people over do it sometimes, but they just better make a damn good story out of it.

13. shohen

shohen New Member

If we never copied each other what would the world be like Boring

14. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

You're right, combining the best elements into The One doesn't make it groundbreaking on the basis of originality. I don't think it's "supposed to be" groundbreaking. But since I do feel the dynamic, black-and-chrome atmosphere of the movie, I can judge the movie by it's style as a whole rather than break it down. I don't really like or dislike most movies anyway, so I get upset when someone upholds or throws down a movie too much.

15. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

that about sums it up i think. i'll just shut my mouth now because i think i've earnt a few enemies from this thread.:rolleyes:

16. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Noooooo, it's ok. I just felt like arguing a lil, so don't take it personally. You're the only one who drew me from my pics in that Art thread, remember? We're not enemies.

The Matrix is still a good movie series though. I'm wondering, can anyone find another movie that shows super hyper speed the way Neo flew when he went to catch Trinity? To me, that was one of the hyping parts, and I haven't seen anything like that in any other movie. (Especially when it shows him in place while the background streaks out, and also when he swoops up with Trinity while leaving a wake of tossed cars in the vacuum he created.)

17. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

those were so bad i would have thought they'de make you hate me:D .
    i haven't seen them, but maybe the superman or batman movies would have something like this in them. wouldn't surprise me.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

the zai-kogaclackwhatever brothers watched anime, and inspiration is bound to happen, hardly a "hoax" :rolleyes: