Debate The Military Commissions Act of 2006

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baphijmm, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

The Act

Read Sec. 4.

Really, you should read all of it, but it's 86 pages and I figure most folks have lives.

Discuss.

(This just recently passed in both House and Senate in the US, and gives the President and Secretary of Defense the right to imprison anyone, including US citizens, who even speaks against the country as a prisoner of war without a trial by jury, or habeas corpus.)

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

I've seen several sections dictating the same patriot act garbage about imprisonment but I haven't seen anything regarding your topic at hand. You're going to have to be a little more specific than "read section 4", There's quite a few man.

~W

3. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Specifically, the section defining "lawful enemy combatant". Its wording, if followed like a lot of things in the Constitution, can be construed to mean anyone who speaks out against the government. It also (and this one is a lot more likely) allows for same treatment to anyone donating to a Middle-Eastern charity, changing citizenship (either way), or just plain travelling across borders.

The same law also legalizes torture against prisoners of war, so... if we wish to debate that topic, it's relevant.

4. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

Reading what that law does scares me. Which is very funny ironic seeing how i was in the military. I don't agree with it and it's scary what that law allows.

5. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Maybe we shouldn't talk about. You know because of the law.

I am of course against it. Wouldn't this go against some of the admendments?

Here is a question has anyone been imprisoned yet?