The Pillows The Pillows!

Discussion in 'Music' started by chiquitabanana, Jan 28, 2004.

?

SO what do you think?

1. It rocks!

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. There OK

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. They suck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Never heard of them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

I was wondering if anyone really likes the pillows. I got a mixx cd with crazy sunshine and riding on a shooting star. I have to say im a complete addict now :anime: so what do you think about it?

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

SHould be no surprise what my vote was :D I've been saying all along that they are awesome. Glad you've been addicted.

Did you know that the FLCL first OST, mostly by the Pillows, is called Addict, or was that just a fortuitous choice of words?

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Horrendous play on words. That's just...umm....Crazy, Sunshine!

I really better be a fan of the pillows though...considering I spent upwards of 4000 yen on just TWO CDs of theirs...and one of them is a single! BLARGH!!!

But, they're great. Such a good mix of good music.

I still love: Ride on Shooting Star
    Crazy Sunshine
    and...well...a LOT of their songs...

4. The Jackal

The Jackal New Member

I luv the pillows!
    It kind of a shock when Ride on Shooting star was the song of FLCL
    (see I'd downloaded it, and never knew.. so I was a bit surprised *ahem*..anyway)
    Right now I an utterly addicted to the sond 'Skeleton Lair' supposedly byt he Pillows, but it wasnt on this site I looked up.. odd, but oh well.

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Gotta love 'em! ;)

Notice how they have a seat of honor as a sticky in this Music forum? I think we have the most comprehensive list of Pillows lyrics anywhere out there.

I mean, look at it! Amazing!

6. Novus

Novus Gone

They've got a few good songs. Ride On Shooting Star, Advice, Juliet, Hybrid Rainbow and Flame come to mind, not to mention the instrumental Stalker which is probably my favourite.
    They aren't exactly something that I'm still going to be talking about twenty years from now, but I still like them. And at least they aren't carbon-copies some American or British band like so much of Japan's other music.

7. Duke of Wolfe

Duke of Wolfe New Member

Ya gotta lov'em, it's hard not to...(Really, it is.) first heard them on FLCL, thought they were pretty good, so I had to check it out.

8. MamiyaOtaru

Wow, cool to see someone who discovered the band before the show.

And yes, Skeleton Liar is by the Pillows. It was in fact the second song on the Ride on Shooting Star single back in 2000 :) The lyrics are in that thread BMS linked to.

Izzy: what CDs did you get?
    My favourite purchase so far has been Busters on the Planet, the concert DVD from the Fool on the Planet tour (filmed at Akasaka Blitz)

9. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

They were OK for me untill I heard few more songs for them, and damn I want to buy their album! :p I think I might buy one or two when I go to Malaysia this summer ^^

10. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

You gotta love The Pillows! Just waiting for the little busters...OH YAEH!

Great songs, stunning albums! Although the live performances aren't that really good...

11. kung-fu-jesus

kung-fu-jesus New Member

i've only found out about the pillows recently ,and i can't get enough of there music .its like a drug .......................god.. i need another fix ...

12. ShatteredWings

ShatteredWings New Member

I've only heard "Riding on a Shooting Star"....I have dedicated my free time collecting anime themes..and that happened to be in an anime..so. There ya go! XD

13. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I like The Pillows! I appreciate their crazy lyrics. I haven't seen them perform, so I can't say anything about their live performances myself, but I like what I've heard.

--MT

14. MamiyaOtaru

They give it their all in live performances :D

Most of the recordings I have heard of live performances don't really sound quite like their studio recordings, an exception being the Hello,Welcome to Bubbletown's Happy Zoo(instant show) VHS (later DVD). That one sounds spookily like the original recordings (not exact though, they aren't lip synching ;) ). Probably has a lot to do with the equipment used to record. I can imagine professionally recorded concerts sounding better than the ones some guy grabs with his tape recorder

15. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Yeah, the lives do sound a lot different, Yamanaka sounds like he's straining his voice in them. It could just be the acoustics, or the recorder used. Wouldn't mind going to a concert for them, too bad I missed the Delicious Bump Tour in the US.

Well some of us here are still talking about them after 4 years, and they have been around since 1989. It'd be great if we were still talking about them in twenty years, they might still be in Japan, who knows.

16. Muse

Muse New Member

Yeah, I've been into the Pillows and L'arc~en~ciel for a few years, maybe 2? Somewhere near 2 years.. Anyway, I bought "Addict" and "Pirate King" and wanted to buy a real CD of their own, but eh, these two had all the stuff I wanted, and I never got around to it, but WOW these two CDs have been in my car's CD player for 2ish years, haven't left the house without'em (^~^) I owe a lot of good times to The Pillows, long live them dewds.

"I Think I Can" <-- Best song ever. EVER. Like... ever..

I, for one, will be talking about them in 20 years.

(BTW if you think about it, go buy "Smile" by L'arc~en~ciel, you Fullmetal Alchemist fans won't regret it I spose..)