Music The Pixies!

Discussion in 'Music' started by MamiyaOtaru, Apr 15, 2002.

1. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

The Pixies have become my latest obsession. This is an awesome band. 5 albums in 5 years, then they broke up, but not before creating rock as we know it today.

How many people who saw Fight Club, or heard Where is my Mind knew that song was recorded in the 80s? The Pixies started alternative. Kurt Cobain said about Smells Like Teen Spirit "I was trying to write the ultimate pop song, I was basically trying to rip off The Pixies" while Dave Grohl said: "I love every single thing The Pixies ever did"

My obsession started with some research on Pillows stuff. One Pillows song is called Kim Deal. Kim Deal I found out was the bassist of the Pixies. The Pixies also have a song (and album) called Tromp le Monde. Tromp = fool, Monde = world. Wonder if it has something to do with the Pillows album Fool on the Planet..

Anyway, I like finding out about bands' influences. One way to find out who influenced a band is to look at whose songs they have remade. I'm a huge fan of Weezer. Pretty much their only remake is Velouria, the Pixies song. Velouria btw used a theremin (think Good Vibrations) Velouria was on the Bossanova album "the best album the beach boys never made" This album even has an example of an acrostic, spelling out surfer :)

Anyway, back to remakes, the Pixies remade songs from the Beatles, and the Beach Boys. Any band that fits between Weezer (and the pillows!) and the Beatles and Beach Boys I had to check out. (btw, they also redid Video Killed the Radiostar, just like the Pillows :D )

I highly recommend everyone check this band out. While I like the surf-rock oriented Bossanova, others may prefer stuff like Debaser, or Wave of Mutilation :D

2. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

I've never even heard of this band, but I'll sure check them out now! Thanks MO!

3. Ak1t0

Ak1t0 New Member

All I know of The Pixies is the Evangelion music vid someone did to Where is my mind.

4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

all i know is, i got chewed out by some stupid kid(whom i wouldn't mind se\verly hurting...shame my baseball bat is all the way out in my car when i'm at work) for not knowing who they are.