Slayers Universe The Slayers Dub

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Stardust Phox, May 10, 2002.

1. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

Um.. There wasn't any other place to put this in, so I thought it'd look better here... ;) Anyway… I just wanna know other people's opinion on the Slayers dub. (I'll give you mine later)

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I haven't seen much, but from what I have...it's not really that bad. I mean, Naga even has almost an identical laugh...

But then the only dub I saw was only Lina and Naga, and I've heard it's actually not bad (discounting a *horrible* Xellos)...so I can't say for sure. :)

3. alkhoon

alkhoon .: G.Heyer is my life :.

ahhh the dub is horrble....
    Lina's cute voice is gone and replaced by someone yucky!... :D

its tolerable.. but not good... *clearly i am a hatter of Dubs* lol :p

4. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

I think the slayers dub is prety good.. very funny anyway.. maybe the sub is a million times better but i think they did an alright job..

KaME

5. alkhoon

alkhoon .: G.Heyer is my life :.

yup KaMeKaZi it is actually good... since it is one of the few dubs out there that try to "sound" like the character :) ...

the decent dubs ive seen so far are Ranma 1/2 and Slayers :D

6. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

:shy: Well I'm not afraid to say that I like the Slayers dub better than the sub! (Maybe you should blame Angel of Light..(nah, j/k!) cuz she started me off on it dubbed and now I like it better. I think the voices are okay (*huggles Zelgadis*) and the translations are VERY accurate. *big thumbs up* I've only seen Next, though.

Heyyy!! Lisa Ortiz is a good Lina, methinks! And I highly regard Veronica Taylor (it's Taylor isn't it?) as Amelia. Sounds almost identical. ^^;

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

As a whole, they aren't too bad. But as the series' progress, there are too many stock voice actors from Pokemon fame...

Ortiz's Lina isn't too shabby, but it doesn't compare to Megumi of course. ^^ And it gets very annoying after awhile, since she puts emotion into almost everything she says.

And Xellos...yuck. David Moo's interpretation makes him sound way too strange for my taste. Like he's got a bug in his throat. And *shudder* Sylphiel....

Veronica Taylor does a good job, although she's louder than her japanese counterpart which can spell headaches after some time.

I love the Zelgadis interpretation above all others, though.

So it is a good dub, but it suffers from the same thign all dubs do. Things just aren't as funny in english, since voice actors just aren't as in demand or well-trained here. Take any highly emotional scene in sub versus dub, and you'll find the sub far more moving and believable.

8. ksuzumi

ksuzumi Guest

Slayers dub

Well I think personally, Lisa Ortiz made the best and funniest Lina. I hope they kept the original cast throughout all 3 seasons, because I myself have only seen the dub version of the 1st season, but plan on getting the dub version of Slayers Try sometime sooner or later. :D

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Re: Slayers dub

Kept the cast they did for the dubbing. The only change to characters ever made was during the first season... (Did you notice who? ^^)

...that's right, Zelgadis got a new voice after the first half of Slayers, switching from Daniel Cronin to Crispin Freeman, who took over to the end of Try.

Cronin had too much of a quiet voice - I had to strain my ears to hear his lines as opposed to the other actors. Freeman does a superb Zel, though. :)

10. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Lisa Ortiz is a better Lina Inverse than Megumi Hayashibara. Megumi is a better voice actor maybe, but for the role of Lina, NO ONE is better than Lisa Ortiz.

I could just be a fanboy, though. ;)

- Ark

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Lisa Ortiz did a great job but after I heard Megumi go at it, I definitely liked Megumi more.

Veronica Taylor did an awesome job, I gotta say. I can't say which Amelia I prefer more.

everyone else was pretty well casted, especially Gourry.

12. Ken

Ken Guest

i like lina either way i think shes the hotest

13. Cunning Servant

Cunning Servant New Member

Though the dubbed isn't that bad (I have a particular liking to the nasaly voice of Xelloss), I find that the emotional rantings of Lina's voice (Megumi, right?) are some of the best I've heard. And besides, when you can usually buy the subbed import of each season, while it doesnt have extras, for much less money. However my only experience on the dubbed is on NEXT, and I have TRY and the 1st season subbed.

14. Thin Yume

Thin Yume New Member

i can't stand the dub. it's horrible. i mean they sound like little kids. but it's better than nothing.

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I have only seen a single dubbed episode. The dub is not so bad. I have seen worse, way worse...

Cunning Servant: Yes. Megumi Hayashibira is voice actress of Lina Inverse.

16. HeavyPowerMetal

HeavyPowerMetal New Member

I have only seen 1 episode with the dubs and I didn't like it, ok it was maybe ok to watch but I prefer the sub instead

17. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Definately Megumi's edge over Ortiz is the more exaggerated emotional scenes. Just the sound of Hayashibara's take on some of the scenes are enough to get a snicker out of me. Lisa's version is a very constant sound that doesn't variate too much from it's root.

Putting in accents for no apparant reason really annoy me to no end, though. Take Jiras, from Try. He has a really good Japanese actor portraying him as a determined, but not fully serious character. The dub version is an English-bred Meowth...doesn't capture him quite as well.

18. rosebarks

rosebarks New Member

well

well,i think it's so funny

19. Zelgadis

Zelgadis New Member

The dub is good, but not as good as the subbed version. How can you compare Megumi Hayashibara to Lisa Ortiz. It is ridiculous, Megumi is much better.

20. jindo

jindo New Member

Subs are always superior to dubs IMO. :cool: