Computers the **** that comes with p2p programs

Discussion in 'Computers' started by blood_pheonix, Mar 6, 2003.

1. blood_pheonix

blood_pheonix New Member

u know wat i am on about?
    like gain and stuff.
    they make pop ups.
    i think its called spyware. im not sure.
    well, anyway,
    i d/l imesh, and then it came with "Gain" and i later uninstalled imesh, but the ****ing gain thing is still on my comp.
    how do i get rid of it?
    i tried uninstalling it but it says i have to uninstall imesh first, but i have already done that.
    any help apreciated

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Manually delete the files, I guess.

That, and use K++ for ad-free P2P.

3. Stos

Stos New Member

Searh for pop up ad remover or ad-aware or something along those lines on download.com You should come up with a couple of programs that will find spy ware and pop up ad stuff that are on your PC. Than you can remove them with the program. I use Lavasoft Ad-Aware, myself, haven't tried any of the other programs. This has worked for me so far.

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Be aware to those who use the original Kazaa and Lavasoft Ad-aware: Don't delete the ad folder named Gator. You won't be able to anyway, but if you do delete it somehow, Kazaa *will* stop working.

But, yes, using Ad-Aware every few months, and/or after uninstalling something that for sure has an ad folder...because it catches those folders and lets you delete them.

Good game, Stos, for pointing that out.

5. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Hey, thanx!! I was thinking about deleting it few moments ago!!

6. Niu-chan

Niu-chan New Member

Why has kazaa lite forsaken me! i trusted it! I loved it (well the free music anywayz). And then...then, it goes and gives me a virus. One that makes my printer print jibberish symbols instead of my 20 page Geo assignment. One that then decides to DELETE my 20 page Geo assignment. One that stuffs up my winamp so I can't play music properly.

One that was created by a pathetic, lonley, friendless geek who is to afraid of other people and natural sunlight to go out and spends his/her time in their revolting lair wallowing in their own self-pity making hideous viruses that are as close to a friend that they can get. This virus HAS RUINED MY LIFE AND I VOW TO TAKE REVENGE ON THE SAD-*** ASSIGNMENT-MURDERING JERK WHO DID IT.

Watch out geek. Niu-chan is after you...:mad:

7. Griffeth

Griffeth New Member

Niu-Chan with the winamp thing I have had that very same proble but it was the Apple media player. So I unistalled it an now I dont have to worry about it. It use to start automactically and like 40 or 100 apps of it would all open at once and crash my comp.
    So I use safe mode and deleted apple player Quick Time, and every thing is good now. I think that either it was a virus or a bad omen for Macitosh products.

8. Niu-chan

Niu-chan New Member

Thanks hun, but I am a failure at computer tech, so maybe if I close my eyes and ignore it it'll go away :) Good plan huh!

And sorry everyone for my rant...I have long since calmed down and retyped my Geo :shy3: Happy smiles and hugs all around!!!

9. Stos

Stos New Member

Lavasoft has just came out with a 6.0 version of their ad-aware program. Well I am not sure if they just came out with it, but I just got a new hard drive and had to reinstall everything and seen there was a 6.0 version. Just thought I would let you people know.

10. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

use Ad Aware or Spybot of course, and always make sure to download clean versions of any clients you use.

for Kazaa/Fasttrack: get Kazaa Lite
    for LimeWire: get AquaLime (shameless plug), or go with Gnucleus, a nice open source g-client

winMX is safe, and good for getting music.
    edonkey2000 is fine if you make sure and uncheck everything during install (and if you can stand ads, otherwise go with eMule)

11. Niu-chan

Niu-chan New Member

*looks adoringly at Nephlim and MamiyaOtaru*

Thanks guys :p

12. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Yeah, they're all s***ty annoying spyware and adwares. These a program called 'Kazaalite' which is spy/ad ware free. It's basically the same as Kazaa. Works the same, looks the same except lots of buttons are taken out, links and web pages are taken out. It's kazaa but ONLY for searching, sharing and downloading. Come to this site and download the ad ware remover at the bottom of the page first, and then download one of the kazaalite packages. Once you have kazaalite I'm prepared to give you a very special (well i dunoo if any other people has this) program which 'sometimes' can improve your downloads at kazaalite. Basically it makes infinate uploads (of your own downloads) at outrageous speeds. It's a pretty good thing.