Movies The Village.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Phalanx, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

Last night, I saw this movie [The Village]. After getting home at 2am, I tried to get some sleep, but I just couldn't. There was just something about that movie that I really loved. Not to mention that it scared the crap out of me (not the half-a*sed kind of scared, but the really good jolting type that also makes you check your closet later on at night). That thing in the woods, that is the best creature I have ever seen. Even in daylight, it had a horrible presence.

After the movie, my friends and I were talking about it and trying to figure out it's symbolism. There are already some things we figured out and agreed on, but the bulk of the movie is pretty much untouched.

If you saw it, what did you think about it? If you have any clues about symbolism in this movie, i'd be happy to hear it. Of course, I'll post up whatever my friends and I figure out.

2. Hyoga

Hyoga New Member

Cool. Im really looking forward to see it. I hope I go this week.

3. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

I really enjoyed it also. I think part of the reason it got such poor reviews was the fact that people we expecting something totally differnent than what it was. I must say I haven't seen many movies that can make something scary in broad daylight.

I also thought Ron Howard's daughter did a wonderful acting job.

4. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I've already said what I think of Bryce Howard in another thread :D

While I won't be discussing specific plot points, poeple could use what I say to infer certain things about the movie. As such, if you haven't seen the movie you may not want to read the following post.

Some people feel this movie speaks out against America's current slightly isolationist policies. I'm not so sure that it really is that pointedly, topically political, but at any rate it is about isolationism. Is it worth sheltering your children from the evil of the world? Or are the elders really smothering instead of sheltering? Though they are sheltered from crime, think what else the villagers are missing out on.

Getting into more specific spoilers
    And while the children may be sheltered from violence, they certainly aren't sheltered from fear.
    The elders have invented this terrifying force in the woods to keep the younger ones inline. Think how scared those little girls were as the "beast" tromped around upstairs.
    Is it really better to live without murders if one is in constant, everpresent fear of them anyway? Sure the children are safe, but is their life more enjoyable for it?

Stepping back from broader implications for a moment and looking at the characters in the movie for themselves: how sick were the elders? :D I wonder how much they enjoyed
    scaring the crap out of their children haha

This movie certainly wasn't what a lot of people expected. It's not what I expected from seeing the trailers. It was probably my favourite of Night's movies to date, but if I had been dead set on seeing the kind of movie portrayed in the trailers I might have been a bit pissed. As it is, I'm glad to have a movie that gives me something to think about.

Two thumbs up from me.

5. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I didn't like the ending. It didn't live up to standards of the others movies made by M. Night.

6. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan New Member

I greatly enjoyed it. Hey, not every movie out there can have a scary chase scene in broad daylight!

Anyway, I don't think the finer points of the movie will be picked up by the majority of the public, so this movie probably won't get the praise it deserves.

The entire movie is based on mankind's fear, of death, grief, the unknown in general, and it was very well done. I thought it remarkable similar to Running Out of Time (I can't remember the author) but with very intriguing twists. The only thing I disliked about it was the slightly overdone romance scenes, and how dumb the commercials for it were.

7. Shadowstalker

Shadowstalker New Member

I saw this movie a couple weeks ago, and I must say that it was very good. I did almost jump into my cousin's lap a few times, and when I got home around 1am, my neck was in terrible pain from sitting all the way in the front because we got there too late, but it also made it better because of being so close, and hearing everything like it was in your ear, almost made it as though you were in the movie as well.

8. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

My friends have seen it and told me all the plot, spoiling it all for me. Most people say its "disapointing," and didn't give them a load of good scares, like Shylaman's other films. (However, they said the beast was nightmare inducing.)
    Perhaps this is true, but I'd still like to see the movie; as long as it has a good storyline and is suspenseful. I'll probably be disapointed myself though, as I love the way I freaked out in "Signs" and The "Sixth Sense." They really made me jump! I hope this one is just as good or better.
    It's neat because M. Night Shylaman grew up in PA and films some of his movies, like (Signs and The Village,) are filmed in nearby cities to where I live. ::D:

9. SexehSeacow

SexehSeacow New Member

extremely dull dialog, ..rather stupid story E.G "lets send the blind women through the woods, sounds good!"
    the "monsters" were scary until you saw them. hahah... so stupid.
    very bad movie, imho.
    not worth the money (if you see it on cinemas .. I ..er.. DLed it ~~)
    I think americans appreciate it more .. since they ARE afraid of forests. apparently.
    none of .. uh.. "the director's" (forgotten his name) movies are good. always this lame dialog. bleh.

10. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

I thoroughly loved this movie. This kind of movie you don't go to see for the thrills or the horror, or even the plotline. It was a social commentary, and you have to watch it as such to get it. This movie renewed my faith in M. Night entirely.