Saber Marionette The wait for SMJ Again and SMJ-X and a rant about english dubbing

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Ardis, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Ardis

Ardis New Member

I have the Three DVDs of Saber Marionette J, and episode three of SMJ Again. and I wish Bandai would just release SMJ Again, and finish SMJ-X. (Not to offend any one, but I am willing to bet that SMJ Again and SMJ-X might be held up due to Spanish dubbing, at least that is what Bandai did on the SMJ DVDs)

Now for the rant about English dubbing.
    (Or why I like Japanese with Subtitles)

Has America turned into a rated G nation when it comes to Animes?
    I cannot stand the censorship in SMJ. If Otaru says an expletive in Japanese, then it should be carried over to English. I can accept altering the words to fit with mouth moments (with in reason), but the way they change it a lot of times destroys any meaning. Case in point, At the health center, Hangata wants to leave lime, cherry, and blood berry behind, Otaru tells him to screw off, in the English dubbing they either cut that out, or changed it to some other thing. so why do they alter it so much (and make it, “you must be age 7 or older to watch”)? And one last thing, I have nothing against the people who did the voices in the English Dubbing of SMJ, but they sound too similar to Gundam Wing in English, which in my opinion, the dubbing was excellent. (Otaru=Quatre, Blood Berry=Sally Po, Lorelei= Dorothy, in the English Dub)

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Holy Crap!, I had no clue that Otaru's voice was played by the person that did Quatre.
    Frankly I can't really see this myself.

As for the dubs. I feel like American companies are trying to belittle Japanese Voice actors and the creators of the anime's. If I created a scene in an anime(that probably took a lot of time and thought), then I'd be totally angered if someone just throws my work away because it's "too violent" or "has a swear word".

I mean this is fascism!!

fascism -
    A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism. ("Dictionary.com/fascism")

[This message has been edited by That guy! (edited 10-31-2001).]

3. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I think most of us can agree that dubs in general suck. My gripe though is less with changed dialogue and more with the Saturday Morning Cartoon quality of the acting. Unfortunately, anime just isn't a big business here, so no one can really afford to hire quality voice actors. I like the subs not as much cause the dialogue is completely true (though that helps) but because the emotion etc. seems more real.

4. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Then I shall master the Japanese language and become a Japanese voice actor... (I can see all the girls surrounding me feeding me shirataki now [​IMG])

Hai Hai, the dialogue is true. And the emotions seem to be more dramatic. One positive thing about dubs though are the recognizable accents.

5. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

Shirataki?! Surely you jest! [​IMG]

Seriously,though,I much prefer the subs to the dubs (mmmm....Megumi-sama as Raimu-chan.....mmmm...). That said,I thought that the dub quality on J Again was much better than in J,as I had issues with several of the voice actors chosen in the J dub (i.e.,Lime,Otaru,Tiger).

------------------
    Inuyasha ha brand sponsor
    no teikyou de
    okuri-shimashita!!