Fansubs The wrong Forum, but close!

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Seishin, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Since we don't have a Fandub Forum, I figured this was close enough. Anyways, I was thinking of making a fandub for Megacon this March, however, I don't know how.

I know there are guides all over the internet showing how to do an AMV, which is close, but not quite right.

Anyone here can direct me to some sort of guide for dummies on Fandubbing?

-Seishin

2. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

You will want an audio editor.

Try some of those free ones out.

3. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

A fan Dub... Hmn...

It's been also one of my dreams to dub an anime show, I've tried to study how they dub shows on the freebees they throw in on official anime DVD releases and I think it's a pretty tough job if you don't know where to start. For starters, you would need all the soundtracks of the show and matching sound effects, it would be a huge help if the show you are going to dub has a raw background sound with out the voices on it, only the music tracks and effects. :) plus you would need a good software for audio editing... I'm not sure if you have tried Nero, but I have been using the Nero Soundtrax and Nero Wave Editor on making overdubs and adding soundtracks for my own video creations and I can say I am able to do a heck of a job using it, I guess you could also try using other free softwares you can find on the internet. And you would need a good set of vocal casts for the job who could breathe life into the conversations. ;)

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The AMV guides might be helpful. A fandub isn't much different technically than compiling an anime music video.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/

At a basic level, run through the scene yourself and see what fits in the given scene - the challenge is getting your english dub to match up with the japanese timed mouthing. You'll more than likely need to adjust scripts to lengthen, shorten, or even change the pacing to keep the audio flowing freely.

When all else fails, you can "cheat" and manually edit your source for lip synching. I know for a fact there is at least one good lip-synch tutorial on the linked page.