Current Affairs This article scares me...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1222-09.htm

Bush wanted to try and extend the Patriot Act indefinately... to me this spells trouble. Anyone else reminded of the Enabling Act of 1933? This article scares me so much, it worries me that worse is to come. It's relieving that the Patriot Act wasn't approved as he wanted it, but one can only imagine what else might come of it...

I've always disapproved of his leadership, but I've seen more lately that convinces me that Adolf W. Bush has gone too far, and that he must be stopped as soon as possible.

When he got re-elected I assumed it would be alright because he'd done nothing *terribly* awful in his first four years, now I'm not so sure. I don't think the world can or should wait for 2008, Bush needs to be taken out of power, NOW.

I don't want to see a World War III. :sad:

2. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

WW3 is coming, whether its during Bush's time or other's, I feel it will come (even though I have no clue what the artical is talking about nor what "Patriot Act" is).

I have a strong feeling that the world will end up like thoes 'future' movies where the world is currupted, its a mess, dirty, lots of bad people, fires everywhere..

I mean, the number of countires that aren't in trouble or anything is very small, at most, they might have a very small portion of internal issues!

(My 'currupted' point of view towards the world today!)

3. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

It states what it is half-way down in the article. I find Bush thinks he is doing what's best for America, but he really is being too paranoid.

From the article:

"[The Patriot Act] gives the federal government greater search and surveillance powers by streamlining procedures and eliminating red tape.

Under its provisions, investigators can obtain warrants to intercept telephone conversations conducted by a terrorism suspect or monitor e-mail traffic from any computer.

The law also makes it possible for the government to obtain banking, medical or library records.[...]the government's access to library records and so-called roving wiretaps, which allow the government to monitor all the telephones a person has access to, have drawn particularly strong criticism as excessively invasive and harmful to civil liberties."

4. Reisti Skalchaste

Maybe we should give up now and all just join ACROSS. The world will be better off will Lord Il Palazzo in charge. :p

5. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

It's best that some of these government organizations remain non-existant.

I'm not American, but we have our own election/gov't problems up North, right Rag? (Here Across does exist, meetings are held every second tuesday in our basement.)

6. Reisti Skalchaste

Indeed. Adscam being the most recent, well known of them. No country is without its problems, to be sure.

But for a man as immature and irresponisble as George W. Bush to be in charge of the most powerful country on Earth, is something that we all must be mindful of. Bush may not be in charge of our country, but his actions will affect us, whether we like it or not.

I wonder if he even realizes the extent of the mess he's gotten himself into. Every move he makes, everything he does, can and will be used against him by extremists. Every time his soldiers bombs a city, every time his army destroys someone's life, every tic, time he makes a decision to end more lives, it gives the extremists more power, more leverage to use against him.

In essence, Bush is the terrorists' greatest ally, because his blundering actions against them give them the means to gain more power. His war gives the extremists the propaganda tools to recruit more people, to gain power by appealing to those whose lives were destroyed by Bush's war.

This is why I want him out of power. I don't think he's capable of cleaning up his own mess, I don't think he was right to make it, and I think he makes it worse with every passing day.

Remember Cindy Sheehan? Her son was killed in Bush's war, and she wanted to talk with him, she wanted to meet with him? Bush refused because, and I quote, "I have to get on with my life."

-.-

When you can't take the time to talk to the mother of a slain soldier, a soldier who died in a war that you started, when you can't take even 5 minutes to even meet her, I think it's pretty pathetic. I think that his decision to simply ignore her was one of the most disgraceful acts in his entire presidency.

End rant. :p

PS: I'm an official member of ACROSS... except I'm not anymore because I said I was. The rules on the card say I shouldn't say anything about it. :p

7. shinigami

shinigami The Dark Prince

Rag he met with her before and she understood what he told her. then she became a flameing libral and wanted to get more time to talk to bush again to tell him the war in Iraq was wrong an dhe said no and that what caused all the news covarage over sheehan

1 person likes this.
  8. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Can we please just discuss the article's issue about extending the Patriot Act? I mean we've already had many threads about Bush's other numerous actions and there's been already so many criticisms, is it possible at all for this thread to just stick with this one issue?

Or is it really just another let's pick on Bush and the horrible things he's done thread? Anyways, thanks for the article. I understand that it's difficult choosing the best party to run a government, and sometimes they are just plain all bad, but there's more things that can be done about it then to just complain about it online.

9. Reisti Skalchaste

Never heard of this, any article or some such to look at about it?

Edit: In any case I'm very glad the act is being weakened and it's my hope that it gets defeated completely. In the very US constitution there are sections decrying it. It's invasive and unnecessary, and yes, unconstitutional. The main reason *I* oppose it, is because it will indeed affect us, even not being american.

2nd Edit: It's very difficult not to go into Bush's actions when discussing something so close to him. :/

10. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

If I read it carefully, it mentioned being able to monitor "peoples" email and such like medical records. This is an invasion of privacy. This would do more hamr then good if people know how to use the system well get a chance to use it.

11. Orion

Orion Gears

Now that's just wrong. The government has to learn to stay out of your private life sometimes. No one's gonna moniter my E-Mail, no way. Even if I was forced to be watched, I would fight back. I agree, Bush needs to be out of the governmental picture, ASAP.

12. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Stick This in Your Pipe and Smoke It

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

~W

13. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

My question is how could Americans stand this Act to be in effect for so long?
    Was this act or one similar to it in effect when the American government had a fear of communists?

14. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Because, Ciel my Dear, Americans are sheep.

We're panic struck that another 9-11 will happen again, so we're willing to blindly follow Jackass all the way into a totalitarian government just for the "illusion" that we'll be safe.

Americans enjoy being told how to think and how to respond to certain things. No one has thier own opinion of anything anymore. Bush provides them with the promise of a warm safety blanket and a fresh bottle if they give him the keys to thier houses, and people blindly follow along.

What's worse is that not enough of those who are still using the parts of thier brain that count are doing anything to stop this. They feel that the mass majority would rise up against them if they said anything. In essence, they're afraid of all the stupid people.

America is blind, and we're so full of ourselves in our national, patriotic fervor, that we'll arrogantly continue on straight towards a path of destruction with a finger in the air to those who try to stop (read: Help) us.

If the Patriot Act becomes perminant I will be seriously considering becoming a citizen of another country, Canada or Australia, several years down the line.

~W

15. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

I hate Bush. I think he is the worst thing that has ever happend to the US.

What he is doing is taking away what the founding fathers of the US died for.

I could go on and on about Bush and his ways, but I don't feel much like the FBI comming over to my house.

16. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

The same thing can happen if you download Judas Priest mp3s..

anyways.. have there been many cases known to the public where there has been this breach in privacy through email, phone, etc? I'm wondering if it's mostly a fear method.

17. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

You can bash him all you want on the internet, but talk mess in front of a cop and you're done. So many people think he's doing the right thing or has been but he hasn't. He's messing up the principles, or what's left of them, of the American government. This fool needs to be slapped repeatedly.

18. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

where i am no one likes him not even the police and they could careless who your talking about. he is crapping everything over but he'll be out soon enough and lets hope we get someone good next time.:D:eek:

19. Ангел вчера

Ok, is it just me, or should Clinton have stayed in office.. for another 30 years, long enough for Bush to wither and die? And a question, what is ACROSS? I tried looking it up and found nothing useful, just definitions of what the word across means. Anyways, I think the Americans who don't believe Bush is doing right should form a militia to take back the government, to make it right again. Our forefathers wouldn't stand for this... we need to take back the government.

20. Reisti Skalchaste

It's from Excel Saga, it's an "organization" (with three members) geared toward taking over the world.

And I agree about Clinton. If the worst a president ever does in his term is get a blowjob from a secretary, he should be elected for life. :p