Computers Those obnoxious ads

Discussion in 'Computers' started by luvweaver, Sep 5, 2004.

1. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

This is it. I'm furious now.

I thought they had gone too far, until I saw *THIS*.

There's a woman in one of those animated flash banner ads. OK, sound normal? Well, it ISN'T.

It begins to TALK!!!

"Hi. My name is tina. During the next 30 seconds you will begin to.."

:eek: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! HOW DO I TURN THIS OFF!

Oh. There it is. A *VOLUME SLIDER* control. Drag... wait... no, i didn't click dammit!! NO I DON'T WANT TO OPEN THAT FREAKING WINDOW!!!

:(

Fooled. ¬¬ ugh.

GRRRRRRRRR.

They should be banned for LIFE. (heh. banners banned. lol ).

Anyway, since I'm using Firefox, I downloaded Flashblock http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ and restarted the browser.

WHEW. No more talking Tina ads.

I wonder why I didn't do this before.

So, to keep things interesting, what are the most annoying banner ads you've seen on the web?

2. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

in short, a quick fix to eliminate SWFs from Internet Explorer 6, or just download Firefox, faster less buggier and no pop-ups

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

popup-killer and speedy fingers ready to hit alt+f4 have always worked for me *^-^*

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Or XP SP2 does the trick. ^^

I hate any sort of advertisement that forces itself into my face - that one with the party balloons that floats over top the content, for instance.

Also, I hate the "trick clicks" - banners where you click the monkey to win money or with insanely easy trivia answers, but even clicking the close button whisks you to the site.

5. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Some flash files actually installs an exe program into your harddrive without you knowing it. A friend of mine happened to get one of those "spywares" and it displayed everytime he start the OS. He downloaded Spysweeper and did the job :)

- Teddz

6. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I've actually seen that one, it's annoying as hell and a lot louder then it shoule be. Just don't move the curser over it and it won't make a sound.

I had that problem myself a few weeks ago, and then i was advised to get AdAware, did the job. I've decided to start using Firefox, which seems to be a lot better.

7. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Especially lately, using Internet Explorer for anything but the Windows Update site is just asking for it.

8. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

oO i feel confused then. i've not had a virus prog on here since i got xp on this, due to not having access to one that works with xp until last month ( over a year for those of you in the know heh) and well, only other thing i had was ad aware. ran norton.

nothing.

i somehow had nothing. adaware has caught the maybe 200 things i've had on my system this past year.
    i think the main key is, if it's a pop up, don't click on it. -shrug-

9. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I'm having problems reconciling those two sentences ;)

10. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

I use Emerald Popstop. Its worked quite well for me. I also use Ad-aware. Before that. . . oi the pop ups were intresting. "Hi, I just turned 18 and I got a web came for my birthday. . . " got those alot. . :bleed:

11. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

I use emerald popstop (cnet.com) it works very well.
    I also have AOL pop-up blocker as well which stops the annoying windows at the very bottom of my screen.

12. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

no virus infection is what i mean. i run norton, and get nothing.

and ad aware has removed 500 things. just data miners really.
    :p

13. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Most annoying po-up? That one for the camera ad that was going a day or two ago. It was just a loop. Click on close, another opens. Hit Alt-F4, another 10 open. Do nothing, 100 more open. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, 1000 more open. :glazed: Hit the power button on the computer, they stop. But so does your computer. And not only that, they opened EVERY FREAKING TIME I started the internet! It's like they were ads on Internet Explorer's home page! Luckily, I noticed that the "offer" ended in 11 hours, so I logged off, and waited. Then, after 11 hours, they had stopped! Still, that was one of the most maddening internet-related experiences I've ever had! :glazed:

14. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

same thing happen to me... a pop up appears to me and there was toys talking with a loud voice??? something like that, so i got scared :( and pressed alt+f4 , it was really anoying... I ran the avg6.0 , and get nothing , so i ran ad-ware6.0 it was tracking cookie and data miners.

THE AD WAS REALLY ANOYING I CAN'T EVEN DESCRIBE IT

by the way what is data miner?

15. Ryu Hayabusa

Ryu Hayabusa New Member

Thats why you don't use AOL. :)

16. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

data miners do just that. they mine data about your browsing habits. the kind of sites you like, searchs you do, where you do them from, are you going to shopping sites. that kinda stuff. some can be a little more prying than others. key loggers are something to worry over more though.