Creative Writing Tips on writing a bit over average Fanfic?

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by c0ke, Aug 18, 2002.

1. c0ke

c0ke New Member

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I SUCK AT WRITING! If I had to write something save my butt, I'll be better off commiting suicide then trying. Can you give me some tips on writing not even close to perfect fanfic/story. I can't write for ****, all my writing is below the failing level (in the negatives) I could use a little tip. Okay now I'm repeating myself, any tips?

[SIZE=0.1]Doubt anyone's gionna reply[/SIZE]

2. Killaz

Killaz Guest

Hi

Hi Us its me K, i'll give yah some tips as i've wrote a few storys in my time lol. the best thing to do is to finish a FF thenwrite it, it gives you more dedication and edrenaline, and remember to put a girl in it, when i first wrote a fafic story it was rather homosexual as the whole cast were men, so put some women in it, and remember to kill a few of the good guys maybe even the main charcter, and put twists in it, when your writing image your playing a RPG game, just imgine its your own game, then just keep going, try to make it as long as possible, a bit like this post. so i'll stop now, cus no one reads the long ones do they.

3. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Ok here are some tips

Remember that fics are stories. Very good stories follow the typical theater act formula:

Act I - introduce your characters, get the people to empathize with them

Act II - start the big plot, the events forementioned in act I start taking place, and the situation gets hot

Act III - the climax of the story - this is where you get the endings etc.

-------------

Sometimes, don't write things chronologically. You can start by the middle (you can still follow the acts I II III tip), and the characters start remembering their past or what led them to be in their actual position. This idea is also good because sometimes
    chronological events just get too boring.

If you start in an intriguing scene, you're already interested and are already finding out what happened and who's who and why etc etc.

But the MOST important tip is...

GIVE THEM LIFE! MAKE THEM ALIVE, breath along with them... they're real people, not just characters (i know, this is too much but you have to think that way to get a good fic).

If you can't put yourself in your characters' positions, then you're finished before starting. Period.

As for the timeline...

1) Develop a plot
    2) You can change the circumstances to have something happen now, or you can move it for later
    3) Let the characters react by themselves given the circumstances. Sometimes you have more than one choice, depending on the character's mood or something that made him/ her think.

Then you begin watching how things happen automatically. It's great!

Now if you get stuck, think of something that's missing, perhaps you could have added another character at the beginning or something.

4. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

If you're going to try and catch someone's attention, use big words, but not too many so that it won't hit the reader like a ton of bricks and send 'em sprawling for a dictionary or thesaurus. That's another point, don't abuse anything with the name Webster or Roget on it. Also, when you include characters from other stories, etc. be sure to capture their attitude. Don't make them do anything out of character, because that can get really annoying to a fan of the series that you took the character from. Also try for more detail, instead of saying something simple like "He was hit really hard", which'll just make the reader go "Uhm, yeah", go for something like "Blah-blah's knuckles collided with the bah-bah's cheek, causing his head to jerk to the side suddenly as he was sent sprawling across the ground" which would make more people go "God-damn that's gotta hurt!"... okay, well maybe not, but that's from my experience. o_O Either way, try to catch attention using detail and make it so the person can feel it, rather than making it bland.

5. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Okay, I don't write (errr...certain situations exempt from this clause) but I think it's personally very important to know where your own story is headed. Not every single detail, mind you, but what the premise is...and how you WANT it to end.

After that, take as many twists and turns as you like.

As Ark said, attention to detail is important in the writing process. You don't want to sound like too much of a simpleton, but you don't want to sound like a dictionary either. Then again, Clancy does it really well, but usually only to explain the military/police weaponry he uses a lot.

Umm, I use it a lot in writing posts and instant messages and such...but don't use the BAM, and the *important*, typing style too often. It conveys well, but there are exclamations and ways to say things more effectively. Notice I said that not to use them *TOO OFTEN* (hehe) because there are some things that just seem right to you.

Oh, and please write in sentences. I don't know how many fanfics and stories I've read that had great promise and originality, but sadly falls because they couldn't figure to put a period or comma there.

Above all, use prereaders! Have people read it! It's as simple as that, give 'em your screen name...or even your email address so they could help filter out all the bahd grammer and: punctuation mistakes. They could also help by being your advisors, which I think can help greatly. Have fun too, there's no point I see in writing something that you don't enjoy doing.

6. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Thanks everyone, it may take a while for all these stuff you wrote to sink into my wee brain and start working but thanks for the tips!