Philosophy "True" Knowledge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hiro, Feb 8, 2005.

1. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Athena, congratulations. Maybe you don't know about it, but you just used a wonderful logical technique called "reduction to absurd".

You begin by assumming the argument you want to disprove as "true". Then You follow the argument to its last consequences, no matter how ridiculous they might sound. And when you hit a contradiction, voila! You just disproved the argument.

And thus you have demonstrated to us that the sentence "there is no absolute truth" is false. Congratulations! :)

---

And now, regarding the wisdom vs experience: You can have some experience and learn from it. However, you can also learn from OTHER PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCES. Even if you haven't lived them by yourself, you actively believe what those people lived as truth (belief then turns out to be an action, and not a simple passive acceptance), and live by that belief.

In this way, scholars and historians are wiser than common people like us, because they've seen what other people, other nations, other governments have done. And teach us this knowledge.

Sp when does knowledge become wisdom? When you take it to action, and it helps everyone around you. In this way, a young kid CAN be wiser than old men, if he studies and accepts the teaching of wise men that came before him.

Even if the kid can't prove to older people what he has done to merit the label of "wise", his future actions will prove if the knowledge he puts to practice is indeed wise.

After all, why reinvent the wheel?

2. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

Thanks luvweaver and yes i did that intentionally. This true knowledge question really gets me going... i mean if there is no absolutes then how can there be true knowledge.

3. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

And because life is full of contradictions, there can be no true knowledge. Things are constanly changing and new things are being added.And yes luvweaver, i have to agree, other people experinces help you as well. if you see what happens to you, then more than likely than not, the same result will come to pass. And you really cant judge somebody on how smart they are. One person may be highly intelligent in one field and completely dumbfounded on another while one person is intelligent in that one field that the other was not but not so much in the other. you cant define wisdom, such as you cant define the line between good and evil. wisdom comes all sorts of different things, and some people experience more than others but that does not necessarily make them smarter.

4. Prosper

Prosper New Member

Luv-weaver, you are right to say people do have the opportunities to learn from others' experiences. But how many of us truly would spend time with people who have problems, listen to them, and learn from them, WITHOUT helping them? And if so, since we are not able to help them, as we do not have the knowledge to, how can we learn from it? (Dont we learn things after the same things that happen to others befall on us?)
    This is the contradictary part of life.

How can advices be useful, if they are not suitable for situations?

The answer is still back with wisdom.

Experiences may sometimes cause us to be blinded by what we are supposed to choose and do, and we end up asking people around for advices, why? Is that because we do not have wisdom to solve? Or is it we need encouragements, or we need someone to just listen and forget it? And how do we know different people want what kind of advices? Experiences and yes knowledge.

A person can learn from wise people, and if he had learnt wisdom from them, how can he not be wise?

If someone deals with things in a wise manner, how can his mind be that ignorant?

Kenshin, wisdom comes from different areas, and yes, some of us are more exposed to some fields, some are not. Some are good in philosophy, some of us are good in art. You can tell by looking and observing us, where do we normally linger in the forum? And which part of the forum?

Is it wisdom that lead us there? Or is it pure interest that we linger?
    Why do people say 'seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened'? Why?

The answer is very simple. Interest leads us to wisdom.

There is always a line between good and bad. I ask you, kenshin, Do you think a wicked person, would speak good things to you?? And would you accept that, if you know he/she who speaks is wicked?

And there you have the answer! This is an absolute scale.

Knowledge becomes wisdom, when you completely comprehend it, understand it, can explain it, can practise it, and can preach about it. That itself is a wheel, because earth is constantly spinning, seasons constantly changing, and us life, constantly exploring.

We just keep on learning.. ..

And yes, adapting is a sort of wisdom too..

1 person likes this.
  5. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

Like i said, there is no line between good and evil. Its all percieved on how your raiseed, but there is already a thread on that so lets not use that anymore for an example. As on the question you have presented to me, it is possible the wicked person may say good things to me. Would i automatically think what he/she said is a lie, and therefore not a good thing, and dismiss is as wicked. Honestly, i cant say, cause i dont know what extent of wickedness this person is. More than likely, i probably would given the fact that this person is wicked but it also depends on what exactly he said to me. If he said, "I like your hairstyle.", how do you interperet that as wicked or not.

6. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

true knowledge is knowledge that we have been brought up with. it all just depends on how the person looks at it. to one group, it can be just full of bull, to the other, full of truth, vice versa.

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Because parents are always right? Nnnnnnnnnnnno...

8. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

well duh, parents aren't alway right.

let me refrase my answer. (kinda)

true knowledge is knowing right from wrong, so if your parent do something wrong, you uh, know they're wrong...? *snicker*