Television TV on DVD

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Billy277, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Hey, everyone. Just wanted to pose a question to you: It looks like TV studios are finally starting to wise up and release complete seasons of all our favorite shows. The Simpson's Season 3 and Will and Grace's Season 1 were just released, and The Sopranos' Season 4 is coming out in the next month.

Still, although NEW shows are getting fantastic DVD sets, older and more classic shows haven't really gotten released (I can only think of a few great sitcoms and a couple of Star Trek incarnations). In addition, in many cases the sets have very few extras (M*A*S*H's are notorious for having nothing but the ability to turn off the laugh track). So I was wondering: What shows would you like to see released in complete, season-by-season, jam-packed-with-extras DVD sets? Here are my top picks in no particular order:

1) Seinfeld: A classic show that deserves a classic DVD set. I would KILL to hear the real-life stories of how all those classic situations and characters were created.

2) The Wonder Years: The only 'coming of age' series that I can enjoy. I watched an episode of 'Dawson's Creek' a couple of months ago and couldn't stand more than five minutes.

3) Gargoyles: Hands down the BEST American cartoon ever. It's obvious the creators were huge fans of anime as well.

4) The Mary Tyler Moore Show: They released a fantastic Season 1 last year. Since then...Nothing. Still, Season 1 is a testament to how fantastic DVD sets can be. Now they just need to finish the job.

5) Daria: MTV FINALLY puts together an awesome show and then they treat it like complete dirt, throwing it aside and never touching it again. Pathetic.

6) Taxi: This show had so many talented starring actors it was incredible. Danny Devito, Marilu Henner, Judd Hirsch and Christopher Lloyd just to name a few. Also my pick for show that needs a reunion special most.

7) The Tick: NOT the terrible live-action series, but the hilarious Saturday morning cartoon. Duh-dwee-da-da-da-dwee-dow! SPOON!

8) WKRP in Cincinnati: I don't understand why this show hasn't gone down as a classic on par with Cheers and the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I think it's a classic, anyway.

Well? Anyone else's thoughts?

2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Neph showed me something truly amazing the other day:

http://www.dvddebate.com/article.php?sid=3574

isn't that simply amazing? and expensive!..but of course it would be!

I'd like to see I Dream of Jeannie on dvd and Quantum Leap.

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I want to see Alf on DVD.

4. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Wow, that Star Trek set DOES look pretty nice. Too bad I won't be able to afford that set for a good five years. ;)

5. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

Seinfeld, Gargoyles, and I Dream of Jeannie on DVD would be great to have. ^_^ Also some of the old Nickelodeon stuff (yes, I am geekness :p), and these two girly cartoons I like, Princess Gwenevere/Starla and the Jewel Riders, and Sky Dancers. (And I'd love to check out Tenko (Tenku?) and the Guardians of the Magic... I think that's what they were called. x_o)

Also Bewitched and Dharma & Greg! And Two of a Kind (yes, GUILTY! XD)! And Hope and Gloria! (Nobody knows what that is... I don't blame you. ;))

6. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

seinfeld and married with children!!!:D :D

7. Zanth

Zanth New Member

Married With Children has had a season out at least, and I THOUGHT WKRP had been released as well... my bad, jyst on VHS.
    Myself, I am waiting for shows like Alf and others from that period. :)

Edit: Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place is another one I'd like. ;)

8. Quistis

Quistis New Member

I want to see Twin Peaks on DVD b/c my dad says it is this great weird fiction show that made you think. I would like to see it and putting it on DVD would be a good way since they wont show it on TV anymore.

Also, I would like to see and I think it is not sure.... The Muppet Show on DVD b/c I remmber it as a child and I would like to get it for my 3 year old sister.

9. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

I so want to get Futurama on DVD.

As far as live shows go, I'd like to see Red Green, Mr. Bean, Blackadder, and Keeping Up Appearences on DVD. Oh, wait, the first three already are...

<--Huge Brit-com fan

October 6th is officially Loni Anderson Day in Cincinnati. Remember that!

10. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Yeah, The Wonder Years was pretty good. I only saw a few episodes though. You know what else would make a nuts DVD box set? MacGuyver! When I was a kid, I think I was a lil bit into science just cuz of that series.

My friends' favorite classic series would have been Saved By The Bell (the original, with Zack, Slater, Kelly, etc.). I bet they'd love to have a DVD box set of that. Hey, my friend also liked Gargoyles the cartoon (he said it was cuz it had a continuing storyline, mythological references, etc.). I liked those old anime series on Nickelodeon, like Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics and Adventures of Little Koala. ( I downloaded the theme songs, and all these fun memories came back to me!) I almost NEVER buy DVD's (only bought five DVD's so far, and they're all Korean ones), but if I saw a box set of either series, I'd buy it right on the spot!

11. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Muppets tonight. All hail Swedish Chef.

Not to mention Quantium Leap, Swamp Thing, Twlight zone (the old ones)...and yes, I used to have SciFi Channel before :)

- T

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I'll bet Seinfeld is on its way, but just delayed because of how much people expect from DVD. Extras like Behind the Scenes, Outtakes, Commentary, Easter Eggs, Crappy Photo Galleries, etc, etc. It's a definite big seller.

I heard DVD releases can be as task-intensive as the original production. Of course, there have been really crappy DVD releases that smell of a throw-together, but that usually isn't the norm.

I can't wait for the continued releases of three particular series' that I've been picking up: Red Dwarf (currently season I & II are out, with news that II & IV are coming soon), Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (season I was great bundled with the original Action Pack Movies, II comes out the end of this month), and Xena: Warrior Princess (seasons I & II currently out).

What TV would I like to see on DVD? Gilligan's Island. ^^ There's lots of great stuff, actually. Thing is, I likely wouldn't have the cash to spend on it.

Ooh! Ooh! Animaniacs! I would shell out way too much for that. Man I miss it. :)

13. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Woo! I just discovered that the first season of Spongebob Squarepants has been released on DVD for almost a month! Awesome! While it isn't one of the shows I REALLY want to see, it's a big boost and certainly something I'll pick up. If it does well we might see other American cartoons like Daria and Gargoyles getting the DVD treatment.

I'm happy now. :)

14. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Sponge Bob kicks butt! :D

I'd like to see M*A*S*H though, I've seen CSI on DVD as well, and thats when I got addicted to it :p

Oh! And there is my all time favorite show, Stark Raving Mad!! ^^
    I wonder if that is on DVD as well? I can never forget the classic funny first episode!!

*sniff*

I miss that show.. ;_;

15. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

Most of the TV series I would love to get my hands on are very unlikely to come to DVD (or video for that matter) any time soon.

David the Gnome - Classic Nick Jr. series, a bit slow paced, but I loved it all the same. It's also impossible to find anywhere. I'm serious. It's like the show dropped off the face of the earth.

Punky Brewster - *hangs head* Okay, I admit it, I was a big fan of this series when I was younger. Don't know that I'd actually buy it if it came to DVD, but I would like to see it again.

She-Ra - Another old series that's kinda hard to find. However, this might make a comeback, given the recent additions to the Masters of the Universe line.

My Little Pony - I never saw much of this series when I was younger, but I remember really liking it. Yeah, I know there's new stuff for this, but I want the old stuff.

And I know there are plenty more series I'd like to get ahold of, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. There are also some series that have come out (Andromeda, Firefly) that I'd like to get.

~Shadrach Anki

16. Keyop

Keyop New Member

Shadowbard - Punky Brewster would be a good choice! :) Wonder what it would look like after all these years??!!

OK, I know it sounds lame, but I would LOVE to see The Cosby Show (Pre Olivia and Cousin Pam...SHUDDER), and Family Ties on DVD. I also love Battle of the Planets (Which is currently being released...hopefully the whole series will be).

The Six Million Dollar Man? That may get a release or something with the possible movie coming up...

Well, that's all that comes to mind. :p

Dave