Saber Marionette Ultimate Collection

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, Jul 11, 2003.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

(This pretty much figures with my luck)

If you've been holding back on getting yourself a copy of the fantastic SMJ DVDs, now is certainly the time to start saving...

August 19th could see you snagging the entire collection (J, J Again, and J to X) in one box set - Ultimate Collection.

This sweet set is a collection of all Bandai-Entertainment's previous releases signed individually by the series' character designer Tsukasa Kotobuki.

It's a limited release at only 5,000 worldwide copies, with a suggested price tag of $198.98 US.

http://www.bandai-ent.com/products/product_details.cfm?id=281

2. c0ke

c0ke New Member

If I hadn't already spent 370+ dollars on the previous SMJ dvd releases I would've of gladly bought the box set (and when I say gladly, I mean it, 370-200 = a saving of 170 ****ing dollars! God damn you Bandai, I want my money back!)

But then again, I lost most, if not all interest in SMJ, so if I hadn't bought the SMJ dvds previously, I probably wouldn't have even consider buying it now... SO who wants to buy my dvds starting a 100 dollars

3. Snake

Snake Member

i'm watching hte first series right now (i noe, now, how sad... :'()
    hehehe
    that looks cool *checks wallet*
    well damn, no money, lol
    SMJ IS COOL!!! :D
    *prays that sum how i can get more money and buy that*

over and out

4. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Dar n it!

I read about this special edition. And guess what?
    JtoX does NOT have spanish dub!

I think Bandai should instead make a boxed set with all the series - with spanish dub on JtoX, without the fancy autographs and sell it for $120, $150 at most.

:( I'm so tired of anime being so expensive!

*thinks* OEM anime? hmmmmm ........

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Re: Spanish dub.

The fact is, it's really just a re-packaging of the previous Bandai-Ent DVD releases, which for some odd reason had no Spanish audio track with J to X.

I've still been tempted to go for this release, expensive as it is. I'm too obsessive for my own good.

6. jindo

jindo New Member

Damn after all the $$$ spent on the individual dvd's and now Bandai decides to sell the entire collection for less money. *shakes head* :( :mad:

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yes, I know the feeling, but it's generally how anime series work out in reagrds to boxed sets. You can't get your hands on the full collection until its been in circulation for a good portion of time.

I doubt I could have waited any longer than I did to see the rest of J to X, though... ^^

8. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

I found out last month and I felt like wacking myself. (Funny thing is, one of my SMJ discs is defective as it is. >.> Most irritating!)

And that no-Spanish-dub-track thing was a turn-off. I love the Spanish dubbing for JtoX (which is saying a lot, since usually Spanish dubs are... less than amazing). I'll have to make do with someone else's copies, as I've set my eyes on FY and BotS...

But I really wish I could get this!! *pout!*

9. jindo

jindo New Member

I've had a defective Bandai dvd myself; except it was Gundam 0083 disc 3 instead of SMJ. It was really annoying because the last episode from the 3rd dvd wouldn't even play and it glitched out. I wish Bandai has some sort of exchange policy similar to what Viz did on the Ranma dvd's but so far there's no such plan. :mad:
    Damn, I can't exchange my dvd because I've purchased it from anime convention. :(

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Along the lines of defects, has Bandai improved on their casing?

The double disc SMJ original series and OVA sets came with a very hard frame that would crack your discs if you didn't handle them with the utmost of care.

My poor J Again Disc 1 has a few formed. I relocated all my discs from those horrid cases following that incident. Still plays fine, though. *phew*

11. CoKe11

CoKe11 New Member

u mean all u guys bought the bandai released dvds? while u can just get the r1 rips? ......... wow u guys lost a lot of money heh.

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yes, far be it from us to do things the legal way in order to support the anime industry.

Stupid us to do that, yes.

13. CoKe11

CoKe11 New Member

o okay well i choose just to buy it cheaper with horrible subtitles then buy it better with eng dub. i just dont want to spend all that money and also im poor. i dont exactly have a job im only 13.

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Anime is expensive, I think we'll all agree.

But I think of it as an investment when it comes to purchasing. I usually start with the cheaper, horrible subtitles (sometimes professional looking fansubs) before considering any purchases. When it comes to those few series I know I'll watch over and over ad infinitum, I then look into DVD purchases.

Rips are nice, but there's issues with them:
    • Finding and downloading them
    • Not as high quality as the full DVD is
    • Can't play them in a DVD player (unless you're going to VCD them)
    • No neat packaging included
    • Legal issues

And for the record, I hate the english dub on the DVDs. :)

15. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

The English dubs are rather unworthy. And yes, the legal issues are the kicker. But the quality is much better on DVDs than on downloads. Besides, if the subtitles are off on official releases, there are lots of sites that have better translations available. It's not as if you'll be fully deprived of a good script.

And yes, the Bandai casin was horrendous! I would always be so scared for my discs when I was trying to pull them out of the fla-thingee. Almost cracked one once. >.>;;

Edit: And I happen to love the packaging. ^_^ Pretty pictures. Very pretty pictures.

16. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

To Bakamattsu: So you have seen all of J to X? Well, in that case please excuse any comments made by me about that in any other thread. I assumed you didn't becuse in one of the author's notes, you had said you didn't.