Computers Upgrading PC (Vid Card)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Hice, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Hice

Hice New Member

This summer I'm going to upgrade my PC to a Lineage II, World of Warcraft gaming level.

I know I need more RAM(Because XP eas it like Anna Nicole Smith at a buffee) and a new video card. Whats the best video card I can get for around $200-300 dollars that would allow my computer to keep up with those games.

Right now with my current card, my pc can't handle the Splinter cell demo, and with all of the Lineage II beta's graphic options on minimum it lags insanely.

Can anyone help?

2. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

What's the rest of your system's specs? RAM and video aren't the only things that affect performance, and in some cases a CPU upgrade is more price-effective than a video upgrade.

3. c0ke

c0ke New Member

nVidia:

Geforce FX 5900 Ultra:
    generally go for $250 - $300
    Geforce FX 5900 SE/XT:
    generally go for $180 - $210
    Geforce FX 5950 Ultra:
    generally go for $350 - $400

ATi

Radeon 9800 Pro:
    generally go for $180 - $210
    Radeon 9800 XT:
    generally go for $350 - $400
    Radeon 9600 XT:
    generally go for $150 - $200

You can browse around and read comparison test using google, the choice up to you. Personally I'm waiting til the Geforce FX 6800 ultra and the Radeon X800 hit the market, so I could buy either the 5950 ultra or 9800 xt cheaper then it is now. (Only six more days and the X800 arrives)

4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

if you can.. wait 2 months and see the new cards Geforce 6800 and ATIs X800s
    and also.. yes.. we need to knoe CPU and RAM you have right now

5. Hice

Hice New Member

126 RAM, so I know RAM is a problem, not sure where to check on CPU.

6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

Start > Run
    then type DXDIAG

7. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Or you could always right click my computer and go to properties

8. Hice

Hice New Member

Ah ok, CPU = Processor and stuff.

My processor is a Pentium 4, 2.00GHz

9. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

hmm... I would have to check the recommended lineage system specs.. but I think you need to upgrade that too T_T

you can check in www.newegg.com <-- best pc part sellers on the net IMHO
    you can save quite a few there...
    have fun! unless you want me to recommend some parts... gimme a budget! 400$? 600$? ubber 1337 PCz0r lol
    put the price :) I'll recommend some parts fpr the budget

btw... what do you prefer? Intel or AMD? or you just want the best bang for the buck?

10. c0ke

c0ke New Member

After looking at the requirements for Lineage II, here's what I think should be sufficient enough:

-Either the first two Geforce cards (FX 5900 Ultra/FX 5900 SE) or the Radeon 9800 Pro. If you can spare some more the 9800 XT is killer buy. Again the choice is up to you.
    -As for the memory, I surprised your computer only has 126 MB RAM as the minimum required amount of RAM for Windows XP is 256 MB. Well Lineage II also requires 256 MB so go buy a 512MB (DDR) stick. They're quite cheap ($100.00).

I'm wondering something though, what kind of memory are you using? Is it DDRAM or SDRAM? Did you build the computer yourself, or was it a prebuilt major company PC (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc)? Was it built prior to 2000 as most systems before that time used SDRAM.

If you use SDRAM I suggest you replace the motherboard so it can utilize DDRAM instead.

As for that processor, it's sufficient enough to handle anything game developers throw your way for the next year or so (As long as it isn't some FPS)

11. Hice

Hice New Member

Ok, well my comp is a Gateway, I believe I got it in 01 or 02. As for budget, on video card i'm willing to spend up to and including $300, as for RAM thats a little more flexable.

12. c0ke

c0ke New Member

Both the Ati and nVidia are equally good, I guess from here it's just a matter of preference. I prefer nVidia cards because their drivers are more stable than ATi's Catalyst drivers. But ATi cards do performs better with Antialiasing on than the nVidia cards, but I don't think you care much about that much.

Do this then, since you're not going to buy anything til summer I suggest you wait til the new cards from both respective companies is released (Geforce FX 6800 and Radeon X800) The prices on the current 350-400 cards should drop to a cool 300 dollars, or somewhere along those lines. Then purchase one of those cards.

As for memory, since you got your comp from Gateway, go to the nearest Gateway store or phone in customer service and ask them which memory the computer uses. You'll need the serial number and the model number on the back of the computer

13. Hice

Hice New Member

Well for the memory I was thinking of getting it from Circuit City, since Gateway is closing their store locations and becoming internet and phone orders only(Got a letter from gateway since I have a comp with them). I checked Kingston.com, couldn't tell from their list which kind of RAM i have, system specs of two different comps both fit mine, but either way I think I'm going to wait for the 1GB to be available and put that in, and from the looks of the current prices that could cost around $300.