Paranormal Urban Legends

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bloodberry, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

well, i think they partially fall under the superstition type catagory.

what's an urban legend that you've heard? and any idea why you believe it?
    let's try and keep it one to a post, just so one person isn't posting a vast majority of them. and there is a lot of these. ^^

i wanna say the "drugged in a hotel room with kidney removed" one, but i can never tell if those are true or not. XD i'll hear one way proving, and then another disproving, but both as so damn convincing.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

One of my favourites...

So there's this guy, and he's going to school. And every day, he walks by this building, a lesser used drama supply building. One day he notices this really cute girl standing there, watching him out the window. He thinks nothing of it and goes about his business.

Day after day, he notices her in the window, and she's always watching him. After a while, he begins to develop a crush on this girl. Finally he says he'll go ask her out.

He goes up a couple flights of stairs, and opens the door to the room she would be in.

There, he found her lifeless body, dangling by a rope, slowly rotting as its lifeless eyes stared out the window. She had commited suicide.

3. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

I've heard a lot of urban legends, mostly from the Mythbusters TV show :p

One i liked was about the scuba diver found in the forest :D

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

Woman Dies in Premature Rapture

Netlore Archive
    Description: Satire
    Circulating since: August 2001
    Analysis: See below

Email text contributed by Craig Smith, 20 Aug 2001:

ARKANSAS CITY (AP) -- A Little Rock woman was killed yesterday after leaping through her moving car's sun roof during an incident best described as "a mistaken rapture" by dozens of eye witnesses. Thirteen other people were injured after a twenty-car pile up resulted from people trying to avoid hitting the woman who was apparently convinced that the rapture was occurring when she saw twelve people floating up into the air, and then passed a man on the side of the road who she claimed was Jesus.

"She started screaming "He's back, He's back" and climbed right out of the sunroof and jumped off the roof of the car," said Everet Williams, husband of 28-year-old Georgann Williams who was pronounced dead at the scene. "I was slowing down but she wouldn't wait till I stopped," Williams said. She thought the rapture was happening and was convinced that Jesus was gonna lift her up into the sky," he went on to say.

"This is the strangest thing I've seen since I've been on the force,"said Paul Madison, first officer on the scene. Madison questioned the man who looked like Jesus and discovered that he was dressed up as Jesus and was on his way to a toga costume party when the tarp covering the bed of his pickup truck came loose and released twelve blowup dolls filled with helium which floated up into the air.

Ernie Jenkins, 32, of Fort Smith, who's been told by several of his friends that he looks like Jesus, pulled over and lifted his arms into the air in frustration, and said "Come back here," just as the Williams' car passed him.

Mrs. Williams was sure that it was Jesus lifting people up into the sky as they passed by him, according to her husband, who says his wife loved Jesus more than anything else.

When asked for comments about the twelve dolls, Jenkins replied "This is all just too weird for me. I never expected anything like this to happen."

this is soo funny.

5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Well, I'll take the easy way out, here. :catgirl:

http://www.darwinawards.com/legends

I'm sure we're all well aware of the Darwin Awards by now, though. :p

Off-topic: It's so good to be back. But 30 posts in 24 hours? I must have gone insane. :p

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Darwin Awards are all confirmed. If anything they're the opposite of urban legends.

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

urban legends are things everyone knows. like kidneys being stolen after a drunken night in vegas and sold on the black market, that kind of thing. some people say it's false some will swear it's true. nothing from darwin awards is truely an urban legend, they just label that way on a few things because they can't confirm one way or the other yet. alot of that stuff gets disproven after awhile. the armageddon guys were considered urban legend for years, and it is now disproved i believe.

8. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Oh dear!

I found this at the Darwin Awards. Bizarre, indeed.

Bizarre Death
    1994 Urban Legend

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given for Forensic Science, AAFS, President Dr. Don Harper Mills astounded his audience with the legal complications of a bizarre death. Here is the story:

On March 23,1994 the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound to the head. Mr. Opus had jumped from the top of a ten story building intending to commit suicide. He left a note to that effect, indicating his despondency. As he fell past the ninth floor his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast passing through a window which killed him instantly.

Neither the shooter nor the descender was aware that a safety net had been installed just below at the eighth floor level to protect some building workers and that Ronald Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide the way he had planned.

"Ordinarily," Dr. Mills continued, "a person who sets out to commit suicide and ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be what he intended, is still defined as committing suicide."

That Mr. Opus was shot on the way to certain death, but probably would not have been successful because of the safety net, caused the medical examiner to feel that he had a homicide on his hands. The room on the ninth floor, whence the shotgun blast emanated, was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing vigorously and he was threatening her with a shotgun. The man was so upset that when he pulled the trigger he completely missed his wife and the pellets went through the window, striking Mr. Opus.

When one intends to kill subject A but kills subject B in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject B. When confronted with the murder charge the old man and his wife were both adamant. They both said they thought the shotgun was unloaded. Thed old man said it was his long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her. Therefore the killing of Mr. Opus appeared to be an accident; that is, the gun had been accidentally loaded.

The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun about six weeks prior to the fatal accident. It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother. The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus.

Now comes the exquisite twist. Further investigation revealed that the son was, in fact, Ronald Opus. He had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten story building on March 23rd, only to be killed by a shotgun blast passing through the ninth story window. The son had actually murdered himself so the medical examiner closed the case as a suicide.

9. Reisti Skalchaste

That's why I linked to the Urban Legends section of the site. ;)

10. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Lol

ROFLMAO

Scary but true

Nylon ropes, or any synthetic rope for that matter, have a great deal of elasticity and can handle heavier weights than natural fiber ropes. The problem is after they are streched to over 60% of thier original length they snap. It's called Cable "Snap-Back"

US Naval vessels used to have a problem with this. When they moored themselves to the peir they used the same kind of heavy duty Nylon rope as oppsed to natural fiber. Unlike in this article the US Navy uses rope +3 inches to moor the ships.

Like all Nylon ropes, when they snap it's like a rubber band being broken. Thing is as the rope returns to it's orignal length it travels at the same speed as a .357 Magnum bullet. There's so much kinetic energy being imparted that anything in the path of the rope is destroyed. It will take your legs out right from under you.

Another urban legend that has been confirmed was that a Naval Officer standing over a tight Mooring Line as it broke, was sliced clean in two- Right up through the groin, through his stomach and rib cage and finally out the top of his head.

Those guys were lucky. If they had used any rope larger than 5cm and it had snapped it would have taken off more than thier arm. The rope would have started cleaving indivuals into pieces.

11. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Isn't urban legends more like this happened but it was more a spin from the legend.

I know one. Kind of ironic. This person visted a forum on a regular basis. For some strange reason this person posted things that didn't make sense and at the same time on all threads. The mods and admins thought it was a hoax so they deleted and banned the user. Weeks later the admins. were contacted. This is the internet after all IPs and etc. Anyway the police said the user was on the website before they died. They checked the users last posts. None were deleted all the way which means they could be retrieved. All the posts put together made sense. It said how the user died and who did it. Strange thing was all posts even with the time differences were 6 hours after the time of death. They had the users IP from their computer which the cops took 2 hours after the time of death.

12. Reisti Skalchaste

No no no. This would be ironic if *I* posted it. ;)

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

It's not ironic at all and I couldn't make heads or tails of the jumbled mess of a story.

Here's one.

A young boy met a new friend in a chat room and began talking to him regularly. The friend was from out of state but would be in town in a couple weeks and they made plans to sneak out and meet. The boy began to feel odd about the arrangement and confessed the whole thing to his father. The father contacted the authorities and after a couple hours the chat was traced to a local prison. The prisoner who'd been using that computer was scheduled for release in two weeks.

14. Superfly

Superfly Active Member

Here's one which was told to us in school years ago, wherein we discussed *gasp* urban legends.

It all happened in a super market, when a little old lady enters the store. She does hes casual shoppings like she always does, and when she got everything, walked up to the cashier.
    Then all of a sudden, she drops dead.
    First, it was assumed she got a heart attack of old age, but in the end, the real cause of death surfaced when they took off the hat she was wearing.
    Underneath her head, which was rather large, she was carrying a frozen chicken, and planned on smuggling it out the store.
    Being a FROZEN chicken, it cooled and froze the old lady's brain, resulting in brain-death."

Now, urban legends are always stories you should take with a grain of salt.
    As quoted from http://www.snopes.com (an urban legend archive):
    "An "urban legend" is not the same thing as a "fictional tale" or an "apocryphal anecdote," although many people mistakenly use the term in that sense (e.g., "That's not true; it's just an urban legend!"). A tale is considered to be an urban legend if it circulates widely, is told and re-told with differing details (or exists in multiple versions), and is said to be true. Whether or not the events described in the tale ever actually occurred is completely irrelevant to its classification as an urban legend. "

15. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

A man got home late from a night out drinking with the boys and staggered inside, his wife heard him and helped him into bed. The next morning she complained about his behavior and how she worried about how he makes it home so drunk. He agreed that he had no memory of the last few hours of his night out, but said he'd never had a problem before. As he pulled out of the garage to go to work, his wife was who had been watching him angrily from the front door screamed when she saw the little girl crushed into the grill of the car.

16. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Heh...Darwin awards are slightly overrated in my opinion. I mean, what's so great about odd deaths?