Current Affairs US bill would allow films to be 'sanitized'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Here is the link.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Seems to be an optional feature, so what's the big deal?

3. Reisti Skalchaste

I dunno, I just thought you guys would want to know, or something. :p

Actually, I think that the kinds of movies that would need 'sanitizing' are the kinds of movies kids shouldn't be watching in the first place.

I mean, imagine, say, Terminator 2, without the blood, or swears, or killing. We'd have... I think, nothing. No movie.

There's all sorts of problems with this idea, chief being that people should think about the movies they watch, rather than the parts of them that would be 'bad for children to see.'

I think it's an okay idea, but it's one that shouldn't be necessary.

4. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I guess the easiest solution to all this is for parents not to let their kids watch the movies with all the sex, violance and profanity.

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

While I do feel thats true, Kain, you can't monitor them constantly. I've had my share of unscrupulous baby sitters in my time... more than a few didn't mind exposing me to some more adult material (in every sense of the phrase).

6. Reisti Skalchaste

Yeah, and look how you turned out. :p j/k :D

Of course we can't monitor children constantly, but that's okay. They shouldn;t be thinking of us like Big Brother (1984). They need to do things on their own, without supervision.

I simply say that it's the paren't responsibility to choose what their children should and shouldn't be watching, and this little feature shouldn't be necessary, because the movies they'd be used for most, are movies that any intelligent parent wouldn't let their children watch.

People tend to ignore the ratings these days. I've noticed that.

7. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

These days? :rolleyes:

If parents don't want their children to watch unappropiate content then they shouldn't buy it or not allow access to it. Each thing has it's public.

8. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

Agreed. Personally I'd rather have DVD's have the option of turning on an edited version. With a feature like that in place the censors will probably lighten up on film makers since the film makers can say "well parents can just turn it off"

I think it'll free up Hollywood, which I personally think is a good thing. Don't censor art as soon as you start going down that road we get book burnings.